Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 58

Author Topic: City of Aretrian - D&D 3.5 [5/5] OOC Thread - It's dead, Jim!  (Read 72339 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
City of Aretrian - D&D 3.5 [5/5] OOC Thread - It's dead, Jim!
« on: October 02, 2014, 01:34:54 am »

Things have recently taken a turn for the worse.

To put things simply, the five of you were looking for some money. The City Guard were willing to pay good coin to anyone who could do something about the bloody monsters stalking the undercroft of the city. Cleaning the entire thing up would be a feat unspeakably difficult, even for a wizard with a power to rival the Gods, but thankfully, all you've been charged with doing is dealing with the things under the South-Western Craftsmen's District. The prominent creatures therein are gremlins, kobolds, goblins, and the occasional orc or fey creature.

This would have been a simple assignment, if you hadn't gotten a touch careless, and found yourselves knocked out by a wandering patrol of 'bolds. You've recently woken up in a cage of some sort. Off to the east is a small pool filled with what seems to be roiling magma, with six 'bolds surrounding it, chanting what seems like an invocation. This would be considerably more threatening of a situation if they hadn't forgotten to both confiscate your equipment, and to lock your cage.

Spoiler: The World (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Crunch (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Waitlist (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 01:35:45 pm by flame99 »
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: City of Aretrian - D&D 3.5 [0/5]
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 02:41:44 am »

Hmmm... I'm a little wary of joining after Legends, but I do have an idea I wouldn't mind playing...
Are trait/flaws/(potentially Leadership at the right level, or just the ability to get a Cohort through roleplay) allowed?
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 06:25:00 pm »

Hmmm... I'm a little wary of joining after Legends, but I do have an idea I wouldn't mind playing...
Are trait/flaws/(potentially Leadership at the right level, or just the ability to get a Cohort through roleplay) allowed?
I'll allow for one trait or flaw. Also, note that the players will be deciding how their characters know each other.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 06:53:32 pm »

Ehhhhh.... I'll go for it. Hm... What to play though...

Edit: Hm... I forgot about the gun stuff.... Eh I'll go for it anyway but it's not usually my cup of tea yo. Should be interesting.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
Re: City of Aretrian - D&D 3.5 [1 /5]
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 08:13:44 pm »

Fronos Shorthammer the Duke Nukem Dwarven Barbarian.

Stat Rolls I’m swapping Dexterity for Strength though.

Starting Gold [[I assume we needed to do this.]]
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 08:18:38 pm »

yes
in
yes
in

sheet coming soon

EDIT: What happened to your other campaign? The one where I was playing the ranger guy who supposedly never talked, and you threw a vampire at us who had Summon Monster III?

EDIT2: Never mind. You're using the roll-for-stats method.

Granted, my first ever character (a sorcerer with a dexterity of 5 who I wrote off as being an alcoholic whose hands are constantly shaking) was made like that, but still. There's too much room for one player to be strictly superior to the others due to better stats.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 08:26:43 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 08:24:20 pm »

EDIT: What happened to your other campaign? The one where I was playing the ranger guy who supposedly never talked, and you threw a vampire at us who had Summon Monster III?
Legends of Gueryth? Flying Dice (I believe, anyways; I'd have to go check) never posted a turn, enthusiasm seemed low, and honestly? I wasn't really sure where to take the story next. I had a lot of things planned out for it past the initial bit, but getting over that hump has always been hard for me. I decided to just let it die a quiet death.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: City of Aretrian - D&D 3.5 [2 /5]
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 08:27:38 pm »

Legends of Gueryth? Flying Dice (I believe, anyways; I'd have to go check) never posted a turn, enthusiasm seemed low, and honestly? I wasn't really sure where to take the story next. I had a lot of things planned out for it past the initial bit, but getting over that hump has always been hard for me. I decided to just let it die a quiet death.
That was tryrar.

I liked the thing. I miss Saeberth. ;_;
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 08:31:27 pm »

That was tryrar.

I liked the thing. I miss Saeberth. ;_;
Tryrar's character initially got NPC'd due to absence, but then somebody else wouldn't post a turn, and frankly, having one PC turned NPC is bad enough; the point at which you need two seems like a point you might as well put the game out of its misery. If you can get the other players interested, I wouldn't be adverse to starting the game back up, though updates would be a touch sparse.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 08:33:49 pm »

I ride at dawn for the OP of LoG.

Anyway, bye.

EDIT: There's no way that's happening. Two of the players had a falling out, judging by events in one of my games' OOC threads, and after that we only have like 2 remaining people. Counting me.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 08:37:54 pm by Tawarochir »

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 11:49:32 pm »

Did you try PMing them? Or even just posting telling them it was their turn? It's not unusual for people to miss that it's their turn in PBP format when the only indicator is the Initiative Order; people tend to skip over that a bit.

Hmmmm, Kobold or Anthropomorphic Bat...

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: City of Aretrian - D&D 3.5 [1/5]
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 04:57:53 am »

I'm kind of interested, but I remember Gueryth died, and so did the one before hand, whatever that was called. If you can explicitly tell me you have it planned out, then I'll make a sheet.

I'm assuming level 1.
Why no psionics, out of interest? They're less unbalanced than wizards, looking at the tier system.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 06:20:06 am »

Fronos Shorthammer the Duke Nukem Dwarven Barbarian.
Fair warning, if you use Sunder I for one will be strongly suggesting whatever you break is subtracted from your share of the loot.

I'm assuming level 1.
Why no psionics, out of interest? They're less unbalanced than wizards, looking at the tier system.
You know that Erudite is a psionic class and also at tier 1, right?
That said, powers are usually quite balanced compared to spells, which does effectively mean that psionic classes are generally more balanced than spellcasting classes.
However, a lot of DMs ban them (and ToB, and numerous other systems) either because of flavour reasons, because of a poor reputation (usually either from previous editions, misunderstanding the rules, or a knee-jerk reaction), or because they just don't want to learn it/run multiple "magic" styles at once/whatever.
That said, Flame has also effectively banned Druids and not-quite-banned-but-the-closest-thing-to-it Wizards, so.

Also, I was a fair way through designing my potential Batman when I re-checked something and found that not even City-Shape will do; Bat Swarm is Diminutive, not Tiny like I thought, and Wild Shaping Diminutive takes an Epic Feat. Potentially possible, since I was likely going for a Kobold anyway, but rather cheesy. This saddens me. Ah well, next character idea!

BTW, Flame, have you looked through Cityscape/Dungeonscape? Depending on where the focus of the campaign goes, they could both likely be helpful.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 06:22:33 am by Harbingerjm »

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 06:38:18 am »

Did you try PMing them? Or even just posting telling them it was their turn? It's not unusual for people to miss that it's their turn in PBP format when the only indicator is the Initiative Order; people tend to skip over that a bit.
I did.
I'm kind of interested, but I remember Gueryth died, and so did the one before hand, whatever that was called. If you can explicitly tell me you have it planned out, then I'll make a sheet.
I have most of the early game planned out, and a good bit of the later game planned out. The remainder is stuff that really is reliant on player choice anyways.
I'm assuming level 1.
Lore reasons, as HarbingerJim said. The setting does have psionics, but it isn't accessible to you.
BTW, Flame, have you looked through Cityscape/Dungeonscape? Depending on where the focus of the campaign goes, they could both likely be helpful.
I can't say I have; I'll look through those.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: City of Aretrian - D&D 3.5 [2/5]
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 07:33:56 am »

By the way, is fractional BAB in play?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 58