Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 58

Author Topic: City of Aretrian - D&D 3.5 [5/5] OOC Thread - It's dead, Jim!  (Read 73012 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: City of Aretrian - D&D 3.5 [2/5]
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2014, 11:19:27 pm »

Not sure if it's the sleep deprivation talking or what, but, ah, screw it, I'll reserve a spot anyway.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: City of Aretrian - D&D 3.5 [3/5]
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2014, 06:41:24 am »

May I point out that favoured souls are basically weaker clerics: having both is a bit redundant.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2014, 08:21:33 am »

http://invisiblecastle.com/stats/view/36941/

My stat rolls. trading Dex/Con.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4667650/

Gold.

Thinking of making a hexblade...and trying to make a LE char whose actually fun to play.
http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/08/hexblades-handbook.html

Flameboy, what do you think about these recommended fixes to the class? I found them on the forum handbook part.

The hexblade suffers a little because he came on the scene relatively early in 3.5's life. As R&D pushes the boundaries of the game, we learn that some things we thought were risky or potentially broken aren't. Other times, we learn things that look fine don't actually work in play. Armored mages fall into the first category. Them seem really powerful, but in the long run they aren't. Spells and magic items allow an unarmored mage to build great defenses. The spell mage armor is as good as medium armor, and its duration allows most mages to keep it active at all times. If you compare the hexblade to the duskblade from PH 2, you can see how the thinking has changed. If you want to boost the hexblade, I'd try the following changes:

Good Fortitude save
    Curse ability usable 1 + the hexblade's Cha modifier per day
    Curse ability usable as a swift action
    Curse ability does not count as used if the target makes his saving throw
    Ability to cast in light or medium armor and while carrying a light shield or buckler
    At 6th level, the hexblade can cast one hexblade spell per day as a swift action, as long as its original casting time is a standard action or faster. He gains an additional use of this power at levels 8, 11, 14, and 18.

The key to the hexblade is his curse ability, but it's a little un-fun to have it so limited in use. The hexblade also has trouble casting spells and using his melee attacks, so shifting spells to swift actions fits in with the idea of an armored mage. (These are by no means official. They're just off the top of my head changes I'd consider making.)

« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 08:32:32 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2014, 08:35:40 am »

May I point out that favoured souls are basically weaker clerics: having both is a bit redundant.
Not... really. Sure, having two characters built to perform the same function can be redundant, if you only need one character capable of doing that. But two characters built even with the same class can be extremely different in focus, and even if two characters are built to perform roughly the same thing (same class or not), plenty of purposes can benefit from having several characters built to perform them. Two rogues makes for good flanking, after all.

Also,
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4666071/
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4666075/
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2014, 09:03:22 am »

The hexblade suffers a little because he came on the scene relatively early in 3.5's life. As R&D pushes the boundaries of the game, we learn that some things we thought were risky or potentially broken aren't. Other times, we learn things that look fine don't actually work in play. Armored mages fall into the first category. Them seem really powerful, but in the long run they aren't. Spells and magic items allow an unarmored mage to build great defenses. The spell mage armor is as good as medium armor, and its duration allows most mages to keep it active at all times. If you compare the hexblade to the duskblade from PH 2, you can see how the thinking has changed. If you want to boost the hexblade, I'd try the following changes:

Good Fortitude save
    Curse ability usable 1 + the hexblade's Cha modifier per day
    Curse ability usable as a swift action
    Curse ability does not count as used if the target makes his saving throw
    Ability to cast in light or medium armor and while carrying a light shield or buckler
    At 6th level, the hexblade can cast one hexblade spell per day as a swift action, as long as its original casting time is a standard action or faster. He gains an additional use of this power at levels 8, 11, 14, and 18.

The key to the hexblade is his curse ability, but it's a little un-fun to have it so limited in use. The hexblade also has trouble casting spells and using his melee attacks, so shifting spells to swift actions fits in with the idea of an armored mage. (These are by no means official. They're just off the top of my head changes I'd consider making.)

I'll allow these changes.

Also, Giglamesh, I take it you've decided to join the game?
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: City of Aretrian - D&D 3.5 [4/5]
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2014, 09:24:31 am »

Sheet done, I assume I didn't miss anything...

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=585720
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 09:43:38 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2014, 09:52:34 am »

Yeah I'll be doing a LE cleric focused on buffing I think. Ignore the Barbarian, if you please.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2014, 10:16:44 am »

Tweaked my char a bit, background and fluff in.

Desert Half-Elf Hexblade-my backgrounds fairly fungible, "the mercenary who has been everywhere but can't go home". I could have met any of you other players.

At least I'm really strong against hot weather effects.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2014, 10:35:20 am »

On second thought, that was the sleep deprivation talking. Out. Will PTW, though.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2014, 12:30:30 pm »

Stats but I will be switching Intelligence with Wisdom [to facilitate a cleric that can actually do things.]

x10 = 130 Gold to use how I see fit… Hm…

Anyways, Culpa Maxima the Softspoken Lawful-Evil Cleric of Hextor.

I'm still open to suggestions and changes to Culpa.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2014, 02:27:34 pm »

Is there a spot left and if so can I have a bit of time to consider (mostly to consider if I have the time to make a character and if I can come up with something interesting that is evil, as that is new to me)?

(an evil bard?)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2014, 02:52:20 pm »

Is there a spot left and if so can I have a bit of time to consider (mostly to consider if I have the time to make a character and if I can come up with something interesting that is evil, as that is new to me)?

(an evil bard?)
We've got two, in fact. I'll go ahead and reserve one for you.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2014, 02:54:39 pm »

Yeah, I'm in.

My favoured soul is a worshipper of Kostchtchie, the frost giant demon lord (and the only maul-favouring evil god I could find...). If they're a half giant, will they keep their stomp 1/day ability? I realise it's a psionic power, but I'm not making a psionic character. Whatever the result, they'll still be a half giant, as that fits the character well.

They'll be neutral evil as a result, but they certainly aren't going to act chaotic evil. They just won't mind breaking laws to advance themselves.

STATS: http://invisiblecastle.com/stats/view/36945/
REROLLING DEX: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4668121/
END STATS: str 14, dex 14, con 15, int 13, wis 15, cha 17
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 03:00:21 pm by GiglameshDespair »
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: City of Aretrian - D&D 3.5 [5/5]
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2014, 02:59:21 pm »

I'll allow stomp, since it's a psi-like ability, and not actual psionics, causing it to not run afoul of the lore restrictions.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2014, 03:37:18 pm »

(an evil bard?)
We've got two, in fact. I'll go ahead and reserve one for you.

Thank you. I'll let you know as soon as possible if I don't think I can come up with something.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 58