Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 58

Author Topic: City of Aretrian - D&D 3.5 [5/5] OOC Thread - It's dead, Jim!  (Read 72334 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: City of Aretrian - D&D 3.5 [5/5] OOC Thread
« Reply #780 on: May 26, 2015, 10:06:50 am »

Oh, yeah.
I confirm my action.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: May 27, 2015, 01:22:54 pm »

I"m still in and all that. But uh... I'm kinda busy the next few days. Just put me on auto-pilot please.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 27, 2015, 02:40:05 pm »

Alright, so Nerjin is to be auto'd, and Dwarmin may need to be as well. I think HarbingerJm has l may have dropped out completely at this point, I'll send a PM to check.

So. In the meanwhile, would anyone like to ask about the background lore of the setting? Obviously, I'll be holding off anything plot-related, but if it isn't, I'll gladly write it up.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: June 05, 2015, 06:00:51 pm »

You mentioned in the OP that there were clockpunk and steampunk stuff, etc. Obviously there was the automatic guard thing we battered into bent gears but what other sort of things exist? Are conventional industrial processes like water pumps and factories a thing? What sort of state is the world in outside the city?

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: City of Aretrian - D&D 3.5 [4/5] OOC Thread
« Reply #784 on: June 05, 2015, 06:22:04 pm »

Smaller factories are a thing, yes. Rarely fully automated, but simple items can be mass produced. Water pumps are a thing, and a major component of power in Aretrian. Steam-based guns are semi-common; owning one is unusual, but your average person would know what one looks like. Gunpowder weaponry is uncommon, but not unheard of.

The continent outside of Aretrian is extremely politically unstable. Small kingdoms, most holding nothing besides a fortress and a few fields, change hands every few months. Aretrian could likely claim most of Nazeric with relative ease, but does not due to profits from weapon sales. In the canon, this will continue for a few years before a skilled tactician comes to power and managed to unify most of the continent under his banner.

Also! CoA will resume on Monday. Since Harbinger has yet to respond, I'm assuming they're dropping out. As such, we're now accepting a new player! New joins will likely play Changeling for a short time before they can be easily removed and a new character placed in.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: June 05, 2015, 06:26:37 pm »

Steam based guns? How do they work? There could be air rifles, and I suppose they could operate similarly to those.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: June 05, 2015, 07:26:47 pm »

Steam based guns? How do they work? There could be air rifles, and I suppose they could operate similarly to those.
Pretty much. An air canister is used to force the muzzle-loaded round out of the barrel at high speeds. Gunpowder is in short supply, so using these canisters is much cheaper, if not as powerful. Steam is used for ease; compressing air is possible, but filling a tank with water and heating it to boiling point is easier than doing so. The only risk with steam instead of air is that steam will condense at colder temperatures, and that a burst in a steam tank is more dangerous than an air tank, since a steam tank is scalding hot.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: City of Aretrian - D&D 3.5 [4/5: PLAYER WANTED!] OOC Thread
« Reply #787 on: June 05, 2015, 08:06:39 pm »

How do they keep the steam cylinder heated? They'd need to carry a boiler - and quite a powerful one - around with themselves. The benefit to compressed air over steam is that in a sufficiently strong container it can just be left and not lose potency, unlike steam which does so rapidly.

Mind you, now I'm imaging them using a flamethrower like steamthrower to broil their enemies.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: City of Aretrian - D&D 3.5 [5/5]
« Reply #788 on: June 05, 2015, 08:35:43 pm »

Also! CoA will resume on Monday. Since Harbinger has yet to respond, I'm assuming they're dropping out. As such, we're now accepting a new player! New joins will likely play Changeling for a short time before they can be easily removed and a new character placed in.
Would you mind putting me on the waitlist for this?
Hello again.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: June 05, 2015, 10:15:12 pm »

How do they keep the steam cylinder heated? They'd need to carry a boiler - and quite a powerful one - around with themselves. The benefit to compressed air over steam is that in a sufficiently strong container it can just be left and not lose potency, unlike steam which does so rapidly.

Mind you, now I'm imaging them using a flamethrower like steamthrower to broil their enemies.
Steam technology is extremely rare outside of Aretrian, and most of the kingdoms outside it can't afford it, so it's mostly limited to the very defensive military. Since Aretrian has no real interest in war, the soldiers would spend most of their time on the walls, where a number of brass pipes are installed in the walls to circulate steam. An air canister is kept on hand for emergencies, but in the event of encroaching monsters or an enemy force, steam is used first.
For enforcing the law or offensive strikes, air canisters and normal weaponry is used instead.

Would you mind putting me on the waitlist for this?
Hello again.
Ah, right! Sorry, I sorta forgot. Please post an action for Changeling. I'll try to get your character in ASAP (Unless you want to keep playing Changeling).

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: June 06, 2015, 07:11:33 am »

Hi, I'm a DnD noob, the only game related to it that I played was Icewind Dale 2 and I sucked at it but I wanted to try and play one game of this because I'm not a nerd until I played DnD :v

Anyways Gigla told me about this game and I was wondering if I could get a bit of a learning run about DnD.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: June 06, 2015, 08:18:42 am »

Hi, I'm a DnD noob, the only game related to it that I played was Icewind Dale 2 and I sucked at it but I wanted to try and play one game of this because I'm not a nerd until I played DnD :v

Anyways Gigla told me about this game and I was wondering if I could get a bit of a learning run about DnD.

Maybe you convince the DM to allow an extra player.

That being said, if you need any help D&D wise, I'm able to assist.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: June 07, 2015, 08:24:46 pm »

Maybe you convince the DM to allow an extra player.
If flame99 wont, I have no problem vacating my spot.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: June 08, 2015, 06:39:31 am »

Naw don't worry there'll be some other game if needed.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: June 08, 2015, 12:09:37 pm »

Alright. MNiM has confirmed he'll be joining; his sheet is being worked on, and should be ready soon. The character will be joining the party at some point after. Solymr, I'm afraid MNiM was already waitlisted, so priority would go to him. However, I can put you on the waitlist should we lose another player.

Aretrian will resume updates tonight.

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 58