Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What exactly does the quality of a creature's training translate to?  (Read 921 times)

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just increased time before it reverts to being wild?

As well, is there any point in simply taming a creature before designating it for either war or hunting training? Or should you just start with hunting or war training if you know that's what you plan on using the creature for eventually?

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: What exactly does the quality of a creature's training translate to?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 02:18:36 am »

As far as I know the training level is how far it is from getting wild. I also know that you do not want a creature to go wild because its trapavoid once tamed and it might cause loyalty cascades. Suffice to say its good to have it tamed quite a bit if you are going to try.

Also dont try to tame creatures from other civilizations. It doesnt work and you still might get a loyalty cascade for some strange reason.

I also know that animal children which are tame wont go wild, only adults.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Casei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 02:21:00 am »

Just increased time before it reverts to being wild?
I think that is a correct assessment, but I'm not entirely sure.

As well, is there any point in simply taming a creature before designating it for either war or hunting training? Or should you just start with hunting or war training if you know that's what you plan on using the creature for eventually?

I don't think you can start off with War or Hunting training. IIRC, you must get a critter to Tame before you can train it for war or hunting. The best way to do that is to force it to have offspring, because those are always more tame than the adult, and the first generation of children can be moved from =Trained= to Tame in short order. If you want to eat a captive critter you must train it to a minimal level, then you can use 'b' to have it butchered like any other animal from the (z) screen.

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Unprofessional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 10:30:02 am »

No, creatures can have any level of training in order to become war/hunting animals.
*Tryrar fires Prudent Viper. Out of a cannon. Into the sun*

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 01:53:36 pm »

I generally don't train captured animals for war/hunting. They have the possibility of going wild again, and I don't want them to have better combat skills if they do so.

If I have a breeding pair, I keep them in a room with a door that can be locked if they go wild, and wait for them to have tame offspring. If I only have one and am hoping to get a second for breeding I keep non-grazers in cages. They'll go wild since trainers won't touch up their training while they're in a cage, but then they can get trained again in the cage.

I generally butcher grazers as soon as they're trained the first time, since keeping grazers for combat use is a pain.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.