Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 3D graphics question  (Read 11735 times)

rancid45

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
3D graphics question
« on: August 23, 2014, 04:15:17 pm »

I am a total newbie to Dwarf Fortress, and downloaded the starter pack today, for 40.09. I didn't see the 3D graphics that I had read about recently, and was wondering if this was because the Stonsense mod is for a previous version, or if there was something wrong on my end. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Xerberus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 3D graphics question
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 06:04:37 pm »

well there aren't really any 3D graphics, what you might mean is stonesense overlay which was / is an isometric overview which was usable in the DF2012 (34.11) release. but even in the old version the overlay was still kinda experimental if i remember correctly and the most functional way to play dwarf fortress is with one of its graphic sets / tilesets. there are a bunch of current ones out there, some might need an extra download & extraction into the /LNP/graphics folder of your starter pack package but there are enough options out there for you to use.

i am testing the different graphic sets myself out at the moment and at this wiki-page you can see a good overview of the different graphic packs with a comparison picture for each of them:

ironhand / iron16: has a more medieval look to it and slightly darker colored
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
- an updated ironhand version isn't in the current starter pack but if you extract the following zip / rar file and copy it to "x\Dwarf Fortress 40_09 Starter Pack r1\LNP\graphics" (also renaming it to ironhand16 would be good cause the folder is called just dwarf fortress after extraction) then you can also select the graphics pack from the starter pack.
DL-Link (DFFD): http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7362

phoebus: is the most commonly used as it seems which has a nice clear look to it and always seems to be the fastest updated one and is overall the most well-rounded package because it has a complete set of dwarves, critters, creatures and civ's where other graphic sets partially take phoebus graphics for some (currently) missing creatuers.
- it is already pre-installed with the starter pack

spacefox: is my personal favorite, it has a cartoonish look to it and very clean and colorful visual style to it. leocean doing a great job updating and improving the current version of spacefox and afro has some nice new creatures & critters in similiar style on its way.

- the pre-installed spacefox version in the starter pack still seems to have some missing entries and i highly recommend leocean's version, he posts his updated versions in the official spacefox thread:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=129219.0

afro is also working on some really nice new creature / critter / animal graphics in similiar graphic style to spacefox:

.. this is as far as high fidelity graphics you will get, but make no mistake this game is deeper than any other dwarf fortress clone or "df inspired" game which has come out recently and will come out. the game is in developement now for 12 years it seems and it packs a huge punch and you can (and will) spend literally hundreds of highly entertaining hours with it.

...and if you think you have seen enough then there is also the masterwork mod which increases the content by around 6 times and gives you 8 playable races to chose from:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125633.0

... well i went quite offtopic here^^...sorry.

bottom line: stonesense needs dfhack, dfhack isn't available for the current release and even when its available then stonesense will need some further developement because it wasn't 100% bugfree at last and the current dwarf fortress versions have some major changes which will give stonesense some troubles (multi z level trees for example). for now just play with graphic packs :).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 06:10:12 pm by Xerberus »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 06:16:18 pm »

Short answer: there are no 3D graphics
Longer answer: Stonesense is only a window into DF. You can't use Stonesense to control DF, thus no 3D graphics.

Suggestion: Try Vherid's tileset and color palettes.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 10:39:38 am »

However, there are some of us who REALLY want to be able to walk around in our various fortresses.  Me, I'm going the "Google Sketchup" route and making all my own 3D assets (it's a slow process because I'm just an amateur at 3d modeling)

(Big image)
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 01:04:50 pm »

However, there are some of us who REALLY want to be able to walk around in our various fortresses.  Me, I'm going the "Google Sketchup" route and making all my own 3D assets (it's a slow process because I'm just an amateur at 3d modeling)

(Big image)

Repost of that image so people can see it http://taowithit.deviantart.com/art/Dwarven-Halls-modular-478073399, and holy shit brah. I feel like i should mention this Dwarf Visualiser project. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141245.0
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 01:11:35 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 01:51:16 pm »

bottom line: stonesense needs dfhack, dfhack isn't available for the current release and even when its available then stonesense will need some further developement because it wasn't 100% bugfree at last and the current dwarf fortress versions have some major changes which will give stonesense some troubles (multi z level trees for example)
For the record I'd like to point out that dfhack and stonesense do work for the current (.40.13) version, even though the overlay thingy doesn't. Also unless you actually enjoy the default UI as it is and the presence of a few extra bugs there is absolutely no reason not to use dfhack and its plugins and scripts whenever you can, so I'd suggest people who haven't done so to grab the latest version and enable its plugins.