Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to go up and down the Z-levels with the mouse wheel?  (Read 13522 times)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
How to go up and down the Z-levels with the mouse wheel?
« on: October 02, 2014, 05:13:49 pm »

Exactly what the title asks.

I've stuck to playing 34.11 because of this, and because I'm waiting for stability.

Is there any way to change it so I can scroll up and down the Z-levels using my mouse wheel?
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to go up and down the Z-levels with the mouse wheel?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 07:49:57 pm »

The default setting is "<" for "up" and ">" for "down".  Substitute those into the mouse wheel when you're playing dwarf fortress and viola! "up" and "down" mouse wheel support. (good for loo'k'ing around during adv mode too.)
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 08:14:55 pm »

The default setting is "<" for "up" and ">" for "down".  Substitute those into the mouse wheel when you're playing dwarf fortress and viola! "up" and "down" mouse wheel support. (good for loo'k'ing around during adv mode too.)
Care to say what control options I go to?
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 09:00:51 pm »

I stole this:

Keybindings
Changing some Df keybindings will make using the mouse more convenient. I've remapped my scrollwheel to change z-levels instead of zooming, as well as enable it to scroll secondary menus, such as the material selection menu. With the support in this plugin for left clicking to pass a "select all" to the materials menu, using the scrollwheel to select items makes more sense.

You can change DF keybindings by escaping to the main menu, choose keybindings->General. Find the "Zoom in/out" entries and the "Move view/cursor up/down (z), aux" entries, then swap the keybindings of these. You can delete existing keybindings with backspace and add new ones. This will let you change z levels with the wheel and zoom with Ctrl+5/Shift+5.

Next find the "Move secondary selector up/down" entries and add additional keybindings to use the mouse wheel for these, leaving the existing +- bindings, so you can use both keys and wheel to scroll. It's ok to have two bindings for the wheel, because the two actions are used in different modes.

from here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125618.0

Also, you can edit this thing directly if you are feeling ambitious:  http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Interface.txt

Honestly, I am surprised that this is a thing.  Is the mousewheel binding native to DF, or part of DFHack?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 12:09:22 am »

Honestly, I am surprised that this is a thing.  Is the mousewheel binding native to DF, or part of DFHack?
Native. It's the default for zoom-in and zoom-out.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?