Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]

Author Topic: Angry Laser Space - v1.1 is a go! (a game by Shook and Chartle)  (Read 54554 times)

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
Re: Angry Laser Space - v1.0 is now! (a game by Shook and Chartle)
« Reply #375 on: September 29, 2018, 04:43:31 am »

Trying this again since I last posted here, Shook could we get an autofire feature so I don't have to hold the buttons down? Or a fire toggle?
Sure, probably not that hard to implement. Probably only going to put a variable in Config for it though, as mentioned earlier, the options menu is out of space. :v

E: Also, I'd like it if the dash had more feedback, like making me faster, or making me poof, or having a sound effect, at first I didn't know the dash was working!
It already makes you faster and also gives you a neat after image effect...? A sound might be okay i guess. The main issue i've had with it is that it's tough to tell when it's on cooldown or not. Current solution is that little dot to the upper right of your ship, which isn't exactly super obvious. :V

I should have gotten splinter sooner, it's really good.
ayup ;o

E2: Oh and maybe having the special meter (and HP too?) change colors when it hits different tiers of charginess so I don't have to look directly at it to know what level its at?
It kinda does already? If it's below what you need to fire a turret super, it's dark blue and hard to see; if it's above that but below front super level, it's a medium blue, and otherwise it's a light blue. As of the coming update, energy above 100 will be represented by an overlaid white bar on top of the previous filled one. I'm not super big on actually changing the hue of it, since most other colours are taken up by enemies and shots that you need to avoid. HP bar, maybe, although it's still unlikely to be super obvious since it's most often in your peripheral vision. Maybe if i reworked the red edge of the screen to be in discrete steps?

E3 2019: This is still a really fun game that I'm not good at!
Much thank, feedback appreciated! c:
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #376 on: September 29, 2018, 12:39:05 pm »

Sure, probably not that hard to implement. Probably only going to put a variable in Config for it though, as mentioned earlier, the options menu is out of space. :v

It already makes you faster and also gives you a neat after image effect...? A sound might be okay i guess. The main issue i've had with it is that it's tough to tell when it's on cooldown or not. Current solution is that little dot to the upper right of your ship, which isn't exactly super obvious. :V

Much thank, feedback appreciated! c:
Works for me, thanks in advance!

Oh it does speed you up I didn't notice! :o Is it a multiplier or is it flat, I was on like stage 12 and I just hadn't upgraded my thrusters at all. Yeah I didn't notice the indicator, a bright flash on your ship when it comes off cooldown would probably do the trick.

No problem!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 29, 2018, 01:47:14 pm »

The effects of the dash are just really hard to pick up when you're moving around at top speed and bullets are flying past and your eyes are moving around trying to keep your crosshairs on the enemies and watching the top of the screen to see what new enemies appear.

Would be more obvious if it made a sound and left behind a longer-lasting trail behind the ship.
A sound cue for the dash recharging would also be nice. Yeah sound cues are kinda important when you can't be sure where the player's eyes are going to be. :v
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #378 on: September 30, 2018, 04:59:40 am »

Those have been added now, hopefully it helps. :v

Oh it does speed you up I didn't notice! :o Is it a multiplier or is it flat, I was on like stage 12 and I just hadn't upgraded my thrusters at all. Yeah I didn't notice the indicator, a bright flash on your ship when it comes off cooldown would probably do the trick.
It's a x1.2 multiplier, so not a HUGE boost, but i also don't want the player to accidentally slam into enemies while dashing. Also, ship now flashes when dash is ready.

Patch release probably going to happen pretty soon now??
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #379 on: September 30, 2018, 11:11:41 am »

Can't wait to try it out!!!

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 02, 2018, 10:40:48 pm »

Do missiles still crash the game on Windows 8/10?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #381 on: October 03, 2018, 12:44:47 am »

I'm on Windows 10 and I haven't had any problems with missiles, or crashing at all for that matter.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
Angry Laser Space - v1.1 is a go! (a game by Shook and Chartle)
« Reply #382 on: October 03, 2018, 11:23:17 am »

Yeah it doesn't crash for me either, so i think it should be fine??

Can't wait to try it out!!!
Well you shall wait no longer, for the patch is live! ;o

Spoiler: Change log (click to show/hide)

Also, added some lonks to the soundtrack and Basheman, because yes. For the new options to show up, you'll have to boot up the game at least once, and start it up again after changing; options are loaded at the very beginning.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Angry Laser Space - v1.1 is a go! (a game by Shook and Chartle)
« Reply #383 on: October 05, 2018, 05:13:04 am »

Trying it out... Feels good so far!  I've encountered a bug though; losing all lives does not result in a game over, it just sends you back to the shop and you keep playing with negative lives.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #384 on: October 05, 2018, 05:56:45 am »

Whoops, what a dumb little mistake. That's fixed now, i uploaded a new version. :v
I'm glad you like it so far!
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #385 on: October 05, 2018, 06:52:26 am »

So I finished the game on Normal, and it's great!  It took a few tries, but that's expected - it made it seem a lot like the arcade shooters of yesteryear, where you have to play it until you master it, but the upgrade system means that mastering earlier levels gives you a major advantage in later ones.  Well, I said this already!  Anyway, it works great and seems pretty much balanced.

I didn't see any real difference as far as the one-hit enemies are concerned, but thanks to the improved and more affordable Sensor Upgrade, they were much less frustrating to deal with anyway. I like that the Sensor Upgrade becomes available at around the time that the red wedges show up if you're building defense from the start, while if you max out offense and then start building defense, it becomes available right around the time the Leviathans start becoming a threat.  So that's perfect.

The red Leviathans at the final boss occasionally didn't give alerts before appearing, this might be a bug?  Didn't give me much trouble though.

The bosses might be improved on by reducing their attack power and increasing their HP.  They are very fast and unpredictable, and if you don't have their patterns down already they can easily kill you multiple times before you even figure out what's going on.  This might prove to be a problem for new players now that lives are a thing, since they might not get enough tries right away to figure out the pattern.  On the other hand, finally learning the pattern and beating the bosses can feel like a much bigger accomplishment.

(Honestly, the final boss seems like the easiest boss in the game.  All the others are skill and experience gates that are vastly more difficult than anything that came before them and pretty much ensure that you have the requisite upgrades, but if you can make it through level 19 the last boss is a walk in the park by comparison).

Other than that, as far as gameplay is concerned ALS seems pretty much perfect.  The only thing left to add is polish.  Adding some different backgrounds as you progress through the game would be cool.  Maybe a story?

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #386 on: October 06, 2018, 04:26:04 pm »

Well hey, much of the gameplay tweaking is thanks to your feedback, so give yourself a big ol' pat on the back. :)

So I finished the game on Normal, and it's great!  It took a few tries, but that's expected - it made it seem a lot like the arcade shooters of yesteryear, where you have to play it until you master it, but the upgrade system means that mastering earlier levels gives you a major advantage in later ones.  Well, I said this already!  Anyway, it works great and seems pretty much balanced.
Excellent, proper balance has been a pain in the arse to attain, so i'm glad it's finally pretty okay.

I didn't see any real difference as far as the one-hit enemies are concerned, but thanks to the improved and more affordable Sensor Upgrade, they were much less frustrating to deal with anyway. I like that the Sensor Upgrade becomes available at around the time that the red wedges show up if you're building defense from the start, while if you max out offense and then start building defense, it becomes available right around the time the Leviathans start becoming a threat.  So that's perfect.
Yeah, Leviathans are still extremely dangerous on Normal and above, but they're no longer a guaranteed instakill if you don't have Very Tough. On Easy and baby mode, they don't deal enough damage to kill you from full health now, which i hope will make those difficulties appropriately non-difficult in the end game. The sensor upgrade being timed so neatly was actually completely inadvertently, but it does seem pretty fitting now. Offensive players will have a power advantage, but will have to deal with red wedges on reaction. :V

The red Leviathans at the final boss occasionally didn't give alerts before appearing, this might be a bug?  Didn't give me much trouble though.
Is it when they spawn initially? Because i know they don't give warnings when spawning; the way they work just doesn't lend itself well to that. Could also be that it somehow got hidden behind the health bar, which obscures the area where the warning sprite would normally show. I'll give it a check, but i can't guarantee that i can be arsed to update the game for it. :V

The bosses might be improved on by reducing their attack power and increasing their HP.  They are very fast and unpredictable, and if you don't have their patterns down already they can easily kill you multiple times before you even figure out what's going on.  This might prove to be a problem for new players now that lives are a thing, since they might not get enough tries right away to figure out the pattern.  On the other hand, finally learning the pattern and beating the bosses can feel like a much bigger accomplishment.
Yeah, this has also been something i've been thinking about, some of the bosses can be beaten in 5-10 seconds (the final boss being the exception, since i'm pretty sure all of its phases individually have more health than the three other bosses combined). I deliberately made them very fast paced because i personally dislike damage sponge bosses with slow and easily avoidable attacks, but it's entirely possible that i went too far in the opposite direction, with bosses that basically turn into a frantic DPS race. I'm afraid i'm not interested in changing them, however, since i want to move on from this game once the bugs are ironed out. :v

(Honestly, the final boss seems like the easiest boss in the game.  All the others are skill and experience gates that are vastly more difficult than anything that came before them and pretty much ensure that you have the requisite upgrades, but if you can make it through level 19 the last boss is a walk in the park by comparison).
I feel like it's actually the hardest one in spite of the slower pace, but that might also be because i've beaten the three former ones too many times to count by now. It's especially nasty on Nightmare, where its numerous large shots pile on a TON of damage, to the point where i had to cap the final phases rate of fire. That barrage was just too difficult to dodge. :P

Other than that, as far as gameplay is concerned ALS seems pretty much perfect.  The only thing left to add is polish.  Adding some different backgrounds as you progress through the game would be cool.  Maybe a story?
Excellent, once again, thanks very much for your input! As mentioned above though, i don't feel for adding more to this game now, the code from years ago is clunky as fuck and i kinda want to move on so i won't ever have to deal with those drag-and-drop monstrosities again. I did originally have a token story in mind, but ended up scrapping that, partly because my artistic skills were too lacking at the time. Could probably do it today, but eh, maybe in 2.0. As for the backgrounds, that's why i coded the galaxy thing, so while it's the same type of background, it at least looks different every time. Can't be arsed to make those by hand. :V
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 06, 2018, 04:34:13 pm »

I know that when I last played, the final boss killed me more times than any other. Maybe because I'm super bad at dodging those red leviathans, tho.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]