Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: The Lillian Helsbrecht Story  (Read 27242 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: The Lillian Helsbrecht Story
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2014, 05:10:53 pm »

Axel took off the Meson Scanners and eyed the doorway warily. Lillian stepped through, shining her light around this hidden room. It was a large bar area, with a few small tables, a long bar along the far wall, and what appeared to be a dancing stage.

I get the reference. Those were the days.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: And I'm sure you recognize this Hans :P

I am glad someone did. This whole story is going to be a huge continuity nod to past rounds. :P

Also, that second image? I should have died FIVE different ways during that explosion. And then probably another three afterwards. That big hole, with the Mech wreckage in the middle? Yeah, I was standing directly in the center of that. I lived. Then I got stungloved and left in space. I lived.

Zackary Fryer is one scary motherfucker. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2014, 05:20:47 pm »

I remember that. The highlight of that round was you busting in through that door to take down the giant illegal operation that basically had the entire station in it. There had to be 15 people in there when that bomb went off. Man, that was fun.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2014, 05:27:07 pm »

I remember that. The highlight of that round was you busting in through that door to take down the giant illegal operation that basically had the entire station in it. There had to be 15 people in there when that bomb went off. Man, that was fun.

Good times. I was the only Security member. And one of two Command staff. And the only traitor.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Dack_Janiels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2014, 07:55:06 pm »

Brandon ain't dead, hes just unconcious stuffed in a locker somewhere.

I can believe

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
!
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2014, 09:23:19 am »

Lillian waited a moment, then popped out of the locker she'd hid in. She'd been inches from what formerly was known as Brandon, and had waited with bated breath until it had left. She ran the opposite way, towards the Medbay.

Hector still sat the desk, but the box of donuts was long gone and had been replaced with a Space Cola. He looked up from the Vitals monitor when Lillian came up, and said, "What's wrong? Your vital signs are elevated and displaying stress."

Lillian opened her mouth, trying to think of what she could say, how she could explain it, but got nothing.

From behind her, she heard, once more, the soft click of a pair of boots. Hector looked past her and nodded at someone, and Lillian slowly turned.

Axl stood there, a curious expression on his face. He beckoned to her. "Lillian, we need to talk before the Captain realizes what I'm doing." He gestured at the bridge, vaguely, "He's off to check the V/T on the bridge. Shut off your sensors and come with me."

Hector looked back and forth, his expression unreadable. "I think it's illegal to ask someone to turn off their sensors and go with an officer, Mr. Blyant." He said, his voice gentle and cautious.

Lillian waved it off, and said, "No, no. It's fine. I'll go with him. I'll talk to you soon, Hector. Be careful." She emphasized the last heavily, and followed dutifully in Axl's wake. He led her to the Gateway. Carefully sealing the door behind himself as they entered, Axl looked at Lillian oddly.

"Why do you have a warrant?" He said bluntly.

She shook her head. "Listen... I could tell you, but you wouldn't believe me."

He frowned, his aspect shifting to a rough, and dangerous look. "Lillian, don't fucking play with me. Answer the question."

Lillian stiffened a bit and said, "Captain Flickenger... Isn't. He isn't whoever he was. Something has taken him over. It attacked me in Maintenance. I ran, and it called me in for arrest. He said..." Her voice broke a little, and she looked down, fighting emotion, "He called humans cattle. Said he got so hungry that he couldn't resist. Axl, I think he killed those people we found in the closets. I think he drained them dry somehow."

Axl nodded slowly, his expression tight, "Okay. I believe you. But we have to have proof."

Lillian shrugged helplessly, "I don't know how t- Wait! He didn't report the bodies!" She gestured excitedly. "That's why he attacked me. I found the latest victims, new bodies, in Maintenance. Where we found Dorian..." Her voice trailed off, and came back quiet and frightened, "Axl, we have to warn people. There might be more than one of these things, and they're dangerous."

He looked at her quizzically, "Bodies? Dorian? Show me."

She did. When they reached the small bar, Axl looked closely at the facial features of the two corpses. "There." He said, pointing at a scar. "Dorian had a scar on his cheek, right there. This is Dorian." He shook his head, amazed and disgusted. "I'll call it in."

Lillian grabbed his wrist as he reached for the radio. "Wait, I have a better idea. Tell them you captured me, but I was injured. We fought and you hurt me. We need the CMO to work on me, because I'm a high-priority prisoner, and the Captain will want to come see me. We'll get them both in one spot, then spring the ambush with Jericho, Malachi, you, and I. We truss them up, toss them in Perma, then get Central to send a team down here to investigate what the fuck is going on."

Axl smiled. "I like this plan. Except for one thing."

Lillian let go of his wrist, and cocked her head curiously, "What's that?"

Axl looked around, somewhat suspiciously, and said, "We don't know their combat capabilities. The Captain is armed and Dorian isn't, but if it's some kind of xenomorphic creature, it could have additional combat capabilities we don't know about and can't prepare for." He considered for a long moment, then held up a finger. "... But I think we can do something about that too."

---
He's fucking with us.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2014, 10:20:49 am »

Axel took off the Meson Scanners and eyed the doorway warily. Lillian stepped through, shining her light around this hidden room. It was a large bar area, with a few small tables, a long bar along the far wall, and what appeared to be a dancing stage.

I get the reference. Those were the days.

EDIT: And I'm sure you recognize this Hans :P

Aww, maaaaan. Nostalgia trip.

I like the story, I've been thinking of doing something like that way back, but I couldn't pull it off as well as you do here, Hans.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2014, 06:33:27 pm »

My only problem with writing is that I get so excited about the plot points I have for later in the story that I get bored with the 'getting there' part.

Will update soon ish. Sometime tonight or tomorrow.
He's fucking with us.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2014, 05:03:02 pm »

Meet the Antagonists 1: Aquillion

In a darkened conference room, a number of hooded and robed figures sat around a table. One stood and pulled his hood back, revealing a horribly scarred human male face. The scarring was on the left side of his face, and it pulled his mouth into a twisted rictus grin on one side, and a number of scar-lines lanced through his eye, which was milky white and unmoving on that side.

"I stand and request recognition." He intoned solemnly.

One figure nodded, saying, "I recognize you, Albert the Smiling, Master Third Degree of Necromancy amongst your most notable achievements. We cede the floor to you."

The Necromancer nodded and started pacing around the circle at a calculated gait. He punctuated his steps with speech. "As we all well know, the time of the Prophecy of Thirteen is almost at hand. We will need to send a representative to record and influence events. We all well know the great contention this issue brings us, which is why it has not been broached to Finality until now. I have a proposal that will settle this matter." A quiet, almost sullen muttering began amongst the other dark figures.

"I know you all expect me to recommend myself for this mission. I assure you I am most capable, and have only the best interests of our Federation at heart..." A dry chuckle from one figure was all the joke rated. "But I do not stand this day to recommend myself."

The other figures, for the most part, stiffened or started muttering between themselves. A few kept quiet, patiently waiting for Albert.

"I stand this day to recommend Aquillion, Master First Degree of Energy Manipulation."

Silence greeted him. Finally, another figure stood. "I stand and request recognition."

"I recognize you, Aquillion, of notables well known." Said Albert, the still-functional half of his face as neutral his tone.

Aquillion pulled back his hood, revealing a green skinned Skrell with a serene manner about him. "I would accept this duty." He said this quietly, and then sat back down, pulling his hood back up.

Albert looked around the room. "Does anyone wish to object?"

A long silence filled the void after this question, as many of the assembled thought about their political capital and whether objecting would provide some gain for them. One by one, they all came to the same conclusion, and quietly shook their heads.

Albert looked at Aquillion, "Very well. You are our representative now, Grandmaster Aquillion. You will find transport to the target with a freighter in nearby Nanotrasen space. We will arrange for you to board this freighter. The rest of the mission is down to you."

Aquillion stood and nodded deeply, almost bowing. He spoke, "Permission to retrieve an item from the Master of Armaments?"

A quick glance around the circle, then, "Granted. Use the relics well."

---

Aquillion stood on a ritual pentagram, surrounded by five Novice wizards and a Master of Teleportation, seventh degree. He held in one hand the Staff of Greater Animation, and his long black robe had been replaced with a more utilitarian green and gold vestment akin to a fancifully designed jumpsuit. The Master of Teleportation glanced at him momentarily and said, "Now, Aquillion. This is a exceptional range teleport, so there are a few things to remember. One, you might not make it. Two, do not touch anything in Bluespace. Three, when you arrive, there will be a bit of backlash. You will be protected from it, for the most part, but I cannot guarantee there will not be subsidiary damage." He gestured for the Novices to begin.

Aquillion tucked the staff in tight to his body and tried to keep his profile small. After a moment of chanting and waving which looked rather ridiculous, there was a ripping sound, and Aquillion was... Elsewhere.

A common misnomer was to call this other-place Bluespace. Light works differently in 'bluespace', and human (or humanoid alien) eyes cannot properly receive light in bluespace, and so the trademark bluish tint to everything.

Aquillion waited, looking around. He was in a vast, blue void with floating spheroids and shadows that flitted and floated oddly. One shadow flitted close to Aquillion, spiraling around him and regarding him, almost as if it were a living creature.

A massive presence bulged beneath the surface of reality in bluespace, where such things are thin and subject to the whims of the imagination. A great, impossible monster pressed into Aquillion's mind, and he immediately tried to set up mental defenses against this intrusion.

It pressed, and Aquillion felt as if he was going to explode bodily into gore and gibs. Suddenly, he was on the deck of a starship, surrounded by confused engineers.

And then the backlash hit.

Suddenly the room was empty of intact engineers and functioning equipment, but it found itself with a surplus of shattered human remains and destroyed communications gear. Aquillion had arrived in the main Telecommunications compartment, and had accidentally destroyed it. He shrugged, not particularly caring if the enemy called for reinforcements. All would proceed as laid out in prophecy.

He strode forward confidently, and waved his hand at the doors. They slid open and Aquillion paused at a map of the freighter to get his bearings. Telecommunications was unmarked, presumably to prevent people like him from doing exactly what he was doing, but he quickly figured out his location and the layout of the ship.

A crewman came around a corner and spotted the Skrell wizard studying the map. He quietly crept over to an intercom and tuned it to a secure channel, then whispered into it, turning off the speaker. After a moment, he quietly withdrew back into the confines of the ship.

Within moments, a Security team arrived at Aquillion's location. They surrounded him with tasers and batons drawn. One shouted, "GET DOWN ON THE GROUND NOW!"

Aquillion looked around and said, "Take me to your leader."

One Security officer couldn't suppress a chuckle, and Aquillion nodded gratefully at him. "For laughing, you live." The laconic Skrell said simply. Without a gesture, an EMP of remarkably focused and precise size enveloped the entire Security team, and not an inch more. Fingers pulled triggers and batons were jabbed into Aquillion's abdomen somewhat roughly.

Tasers kept silent, their usual bellicose buzzing noticeably absent. The batons merely irritated the wizard, who waved his hand. A number of spheres exactly equal to the number of Security officers appeared and hovered motionless in the air.

Aquillion waved his hand again and vanished, his form melting into blue dust that billowed into a cloud. The cloud quickly dissipated, leaving behind the Security team and the spheres. Suddenly the spheres flared a bright red, all but one, and slammed into the officers. The aim was perfect and uniform, hitting all of them directly in the throat, vaporizing their entire neck and neatly decapitating them.

The single orb that remained was blue, and it hung in the air over the spared officer. He looked around in horror at the bodies, then back up at the orb.

It hung motionless in the air.

He ran.
---

Aquillion came out of his Ethereal jaunt on the Bridge of the ship, within inches of the Captain. He laid his hand gently on the man's shoulder and whispered, "Ei nath."

Suddenly the chair was empty. Aquillion looked around the room, and several crew suddenly noticed his presence. They turned to look at him and the suddenly empty command throne.

An momentary pause became an awkward silence.

Aquillion finally said, "So... Are you going to attack me... Or...?"

One man shrugged, "Well, that guy was a dickhead anyways. If we attack, will you kill us?"

"Yes." Aquillion said it quietly but with a firm tone. The man who had spoken up quietly got out of his seat.

"In that case then, I'm going to leave. They can stay and fight you, but I'm not doing this. I've heard of the Wizard Federation. You can have the ship." He shook his head and walked to the door.

Aquillion smiled blandly, his all-black eyes making the gesture seem soulless. "Anyone else?"

One by one, the crew quietly got up and walked out of the Bridge. As the final one left, Aquillion sealed the door with a gesture, a wall of invisible force springing up.

Then he reached into his satchel and pulled out a small black book that was well worn with use...

---

Those plot points I mentioned? Getting slowly closer. :)
He's fucking with us.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2014, 11:11:01 pm »

If only wizards were actually as robust.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2014, 11:25:16 pm »

Pfft. You wish wizards were resistant to batons.

Also, ninjers. I expect one.

please god let it be friendly, antag ninjas suck
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2014, 11:23:13 am »

If only wizards were actually as robust.
Pfft. You wish wizards were resistant to batons.

Also, ninjers. I expect one.

please god let it be friendly, antag ninjas suck

The guards probably forgot they were still on help intent. :P And this wizard is cheating admin bullshit. I'll go ahead and list his spell list/cooldowns for you:
Magic Missile (Lethal) - 30 seconds
Fireball - 15 seconds
Knock - 30 seconds
Ranged Disintegrate - 60 seconds
Touch Disintegrate - 60 seconds (Yes they are separate.)
EMP - 60 seconds
Ethereal Jaunt - 60 seconds
Teleport - 60 seconds
Time Stop - 360 seconds
Shockwave - 30 seconds
Forcewall - 30 seconds

Also, there will be one ninja. And no, friendly ninjas are boring as fuck. :P

I should have an update today sometime.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 05:23:49 pm by Hanslanda »
He's fucking with us.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2014, 02:27:59 pm »

i meant

one who doesn't murderbone the fuck outta the crew

THEY CAN BE HIRED BY NT, YOU KNOW

:'(
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2014, 05:29:14 pm »

Meet the Antagonists 2: Zackary Part 1

Zackary Fryer leaned casually against one wall of the briefing room. He was a tall man, about six foot two, with black hair kept close cropped, and a black goatee highlighting his angular features. He moved with a certain confidence, bordering on arrogance.

The other occupants of the room, five other mercenary types and one variable that Zackary couldn't place, were lounged about in the chairs provided, or standing in front of the room stiffly, respectively. The variable fellow, a man calling himself Lieutenant Commander Armsoth, was wearing a vaguely military cut uniform with no markings, with a laser pistol belted at his hip. The rest were all dressed in civvie clothes like Zackary was.

Armsoth cleared his throat and start speaking, "Alright. We've been contracted to take down a mining station known as Geode-678a in this system's asteroid belt." A holoprojector in the floor started showing schematics and diagrams of the station and it's position in the system. Armsoth kept speaking, "We'll be inserting via assault shuttles, directly driving into the Command Center of the mining station. There we will eliminate all combatants, sabotage the command and control, communications, and engineering capability of the enemy, eliminate all further enemies, and exfiltrate. Does anyone have any questions?"

Zackary raised his hand a little, "Yeah. What kind of opposition are we facing? You said it's a mining station. Are they coming at us with pickaxes and rock hammers, or laser cannons and tactical nukes? How about a little detail on this briefing?"

Armsoth grimaced, sort of. "From the inventory records of NT files, we have ascertained that the enemy possesses a minor arsenal. About five laser rifles and an energy pistol, plus the aforementioned rock hammers and pick axes and sonic drills and assorted household equipment that might be converted to weaponry. Our enemy is probably ill-organized and poorly trained, except for their three Security team members and the station Lieutenant. All of whom are trained in combat and expected to carry armaments." He waved at the projector and it switched off. "Any more questions?"

Zackary shook his head, "Yeah. What's the RoE?"

Armsoth grimaced again and Zackary realized he was trying to smile. "All personnel not in this room that are sighted on arrival are enemy combatants. If they are armed, prosecute with extreme force. If not, then that's your call. I won't tell you to kill civilians. But do note that our actions will probably doom all of them to a slow death even if you don't kill them immediately."

Zackary nodded slowly and smiled coldly, "And what is our equipment going to be?"

Armsoth smiled again. "For once a question I like. Come with me."

---

They followed him to an Armory, where seven sets of identical gear, except for weapons and kit which varied slightly from man to man. Each set of gear came with a blood red hardsuit with an insectile helmet with four lights in an array on the front. Then was a backpack filled with whatever gear the man had requested. Mostly it was explosives and medical gear, but there was also a full engineering kit for one man. After that was their weaponry, generally compact, advanced SMGs with space-capable ammunition. One man had a shoulder-fired rocket launcher with a variety of rockets, and a pistol for backup. Another had a heavy machine gun and several big boxes of ammunition for it. One medic had a rapid-syringe gun loaded with a variety of lethal toxins and deadly acids.

The mercenaries gathered up their gear, suiting up and arming themselves. Zackary had a CR20 SMG and a 9mm pistol for backup, plus an energy sword clipped to his suit's waist. In his backpack he had three large charges designed for destroying whole sections of station, and three smaller blocks of plastique explosive. Finally he had a box with a spare O2 tank, three clips of ammunition for his SMG, and two for his pistol, resting on top of the explosives.

The only item Zackary carried that wasn't issued by their mysterious employers and wasn't clothing was a small kit bag he clipped to another loop on his suit, filled with the tools of his trade.

The mercenaries looked at Armsoth, and he beckoned for them to follow. He led them to a hangar bay, where a large, pugnacious vessel sat on it's short, retractable landing gear. The assault shuttle was cylindrical, tapering down towards the front end, where a landing ramp came down directly out of the nose of the vehicle. The mercenaries filed aboard, and the ramp retracted into the vessel while the door sealed.

Zackary buckled into the assault shuttle and checked his things one final time...
He's fucking with us.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2014, 06:18:05 pm »

The next update is going to be really, extremely graphic. Just letting ya'll know.
He's fucking with us.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2014, 06:25:31 pm »

The next update is going to be really, extremely graphic. Just letting ya'll know.

As if the entire story so far has been lollipops and rainbows.  :P
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13