Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: The Lillian Helsbrecht Story  (Read 26908 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
The Lillian Helsbrecht Story
« on: October 03, 2014, 05:31:28 pm »

I am going to be writing about a fictional character I consistently play as on Space Station 13. More specifically, I'm going to write Lillian's life from graduating the Academy and joining Nanotrasen's Security team, and her subsequent... Misadventures.

First Assignment

Lillian Helsbrecht stood at attention in the small waiting lobby. She was an inch over five feet, and on a good day she weighed one hundred and ten pounds. Her hair was black and close cropped, a nice complement to her naturally tan skin. She was pretty in the right light when she smiled, but she was currently displaying a blank, emotionless mask.

The door leading further into the building opened, and a severe looking man who looked to be in his late fifties stepped out. He simply said, "Miss Helsbrecht, you may enter now." And retreated back within the door. Lillian followed him within, and he led to her a well-worn office with several thick folders in stacks on a rickety old desk. There were two metal folding chairs set out, and the man sat down without ceremony. Lillian sat down and tried to keep the excitement from her face.

The man opened a folder and paged through it. He finally took out a small wafer of metal and plastic and closed the folder. Silently, he put it before Lillian on the desk, and added a sheaf of papers to the offering. Lillian reverently touched the Identification Card, but took the papers first. She eagerly read through them to find her first assigned post.

Her benefactor broke the silence as she read, "You are being transferred to a Research Facility. Space Station 13, to be specific. Your account here will continue to accrue funds, and you will have on-station credit to purchase anything you might want. Welcome to Nanotrasen's Space Station crew, Miss Helsbrecht."

Lillian finally found her voice, "Thank you, Commander Wright. Thank you so much. I'll make Nanotrasen proud, sir." She picked up the ID card, and pinned it proudly to her lapel...

---

Intermission

---
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: The Lillian Helsbrecht Story
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 05:41:34 pm »

PTW.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 06:11:17 pm »

First day on the job

Lillian fidgeted happily. She kept rubbing the red piping on her black jumpsuit, making sure it was real. Every so often, she'd toy with the ID card pinned to her lapel. Her new boots fit perfectly, which was a relief. The shuttle rumbled a little, and there was a clang as magnetic docking clamps sealed. She could hear hissing from the airlocks as an atmosphere was established between the two vessels, then the doors opened.

She stood up and took her first step onto a space station. A man in a blue Head of Personnel jumpsuit was standing by the Arrivals Security Checkpoint with a clipboard and a frustrated look on his face. Lillian smiled and waved, and he beckoned her over. "I'm Lillian Helsbrecht, the new Security Officer. You must be Brandon Flickenger, Head of Personnel?"

He nodded distractedly, "Yeah. You know the layout?"

Lillian was a little startled but she nodded. "Yes sir. I've been studying blueprints of the station. You lot can't possibly get much trouble out here though, right?"

Brandon shook his head, sharply, once. "Not usually, no. But today the Clown is pissing me right the fuck off." He touched the door to the Checkpoint and it opened to reveal a Secure Locker. "Get geared up and find Sprinkles the Clown. Can't miss him. Big red nose, honking, big shoes. The whole stupid fucking bit." He pulled out his PDA as it vibrated furiously, and he sighed. "Crap. I gotta go deal with some assistants. Don't forget to check in on the Security Channel." He strode off as Lillian shrugged.

She did as she was told, and put on a pair of Security HUDglasses and grabbed a security belt, buckling it on. Then she filled it with chemical deterrent, a few pairs of cuffs, a telescopic baton, a taser, and a Mark V Electronic Shock-Maul. She slipped on the armored security vest hanging in the locker, and closed and locked it. With a touch, she opened the door out of the Checkpoint.

"HONK." Lillian jumped back in fright from the door, as it filled with the bulky form of Sprinkles the Clown.

Sprinkles was a big man, under all the make up, ridiculous hair, hideous outfit, and oversized shoes, and Lillian was a small woman, even wearing armor and with a belt full of torture implements. Lillian immediately regained her composure and reacted with cold anger. "God damn it, you scared the fuck out of me. I get that your job is to be funny, but you really shouldn't surprise Security officers like that."

Sprinkles cocked his head to one side, and honked again.

Lillian noticed something at that point. Sprinkles was dripping. When he saw her gaze shift, he whipped his hand behind his back. Lillian's insides went cold for a second, and immediately she took out the Shock-Maul. "Listen. Sprinkles. Whatever is in your hand, and whatever you are thinking about doing, you might ought to take a step back and re-examine your options." She mentally took her own advice as Sprinkles shook his head and advanced a step into the Checkpoint. She back away, pushing a rolling chair at Sprinkles suddenly and activating her headset with an eyeblink, "CLOWN IN ARRIVALS, REINFORCEMENTS REQUESTED."

Sprinkles was quick. He jumped over the chair, his oversized shoes making a surreal honk as he landed and lunged at her. His bulk slammed into her, and she felt something stabbing into her armor. It had been a blade in his hand. Half of a pair of scissors. Lillian slammed the Shock Maul down on his spine, hard, and he grunted. He backed up, still wrapped around her midsection, still trying to stab her, and slammed her into the wall again.

Lillian felt all her breath leave her with a great chuff, and she remembered why she was losing. With a satisfying crackle, the Shock-Maul lit up, visible electricity appearing for a moment around the weapon-head. She jabbed it into Sprinkle's side, and he seized up and convulsed as electricity pumped into his body. Lillian pushed him back and down, sending the chair flying as he collided with it. He started to sit up, but Lillian brought the maul back around and cracked him in the face with it. He started shaking and twitching, but still fought to rise.

Lillian backed up, reaching down to her abdomen. The crude blade was still lodged in her armor firmly, it's tip having penetrated enough to leave a small gash on her flank. She pulled it out and dropped it. Sprinkles rolled onto one side, and pulled himself half up using the desk next to him. Lillian grimaced and said, "Alright, goddamn it. You either get down on the ground and get cuffed or I'm going to assume you're a lethal threat."

He paused in his quest to rise, almost stunned by her words, and said, "Are you fucking stupid, bitch? I just tried to stab you."

Lillian smiled sweetly, "I know, but I just wanted YOU to say it so there was no doubt." She leveled her taser at his face and pulled the trigger.

---

This story is multi-part. I will post the next part soon. I hope. My friends are coming over so I might be busy for awhile.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 06:15:55 pm »

Hans is writing a book! Yippie! And I know who the characters are! Praise Space Jesus!
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 06:56:47 pm »

This has just lit up my day. PTW.

Dack_Janiels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 07:08:58 pm »

>Mfw I'm in the story

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 07:09:44 pm »

I hope to the hope-gods that I make it in.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 07:19:20 pm »

PTW. I can dream to appear.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 09:23:03 pm »

Lillian finally found her voice, "Thank you, Commander Wright. Thank you so much. I'll make Nanotrasen proud, sir." She picked up the ID card, and pinned it proudly to her lapel...

;)

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 09:58:07 pm »

;)

I can only dream of meeting THE JAY.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 10:03:11 pm »

I've met 'im. Couple of times, actually. S-COM, usually. Depends.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 10:18:04 pm »

I've met 'im. Couple of times, actually. S-COM, usually. Depends.

Nah, I was joking. I've met him a lot when Glloyd played him regularly. Turtlenecks are life.

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 11:24:05 pm »

I've met him. I've killed him

Most of my security characters I play regularly have. Only Ali hasn't.
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 12:59:31 am »

As a side note, this is how I feel when I'm facing down a Security team/ Nuke Ops team. Lots of soft words, followed by some sharp points and a little emphasis.

---

Lillian unplugged her taser from the charger with a sigh, looking at the bound and buckled Sprinkles. She tried the Security radio one more time, but didn't get a response. So she decided to go take a look for herself. Lillian grabbed the back of the chair and started dragging Sprinkles along, towards the Security wing. The whole time, he was muttering curses and ranting about class warfare.

When Lillian arrived, she found that the emergency Secure Shutters on all the brig cells were shut. The doors had been blown open by crudely fashioned explosives, it seemed. Lillian put one foot on the side of the chair and gave it a solid kick, propelling Sprinkles through the shattered gateway and into the Security wing.

A barrage of laser fire stippled his body, stealing the deranged Clown's life with a flash of intense heat. Lillian tightened her grip on her taser, and started moving forwards. She kept low and close to the wall, trying to stay in the shadows. As she neared the doorway, the unseen gunman had moved up on the dead clown. As she rounded the corner, taser ready, he realized the ruse and turned, energy pistol primed and aimed.

Axl Blyant and Lillian Helsbrecht stood three feet apart, guns aimed at each other. Lillian saw the accoutrements of a Head of Security, but didn't lower her gun. Axl relaxed fractionally when he saw her. "You're loyalty implanted. Thank fuck." He murmured, bringing his gun down to waist level.

Lillian nodded at the clown, "So Head of Security can just murder people now for invading the brig, eh?" Her gun was unwavering, still aimed at Axl's face. He looked at the clown and shook his head ruefully.

"Listen, ma'am. I haven't got time to explain why I did it, but we've got a serious fucking situation on our hands here. Brandon is a fucking bureaucratic airhead, and he's missing all the signs, but we've got a mutiny on our hands." Axl looked around one last time and slipped his pistol into a shoulder holster that was concealed by his armored greatcoat. "The Captain's been abusing his authority and there's something of a volatile element in the crew, mainly the Cargo and Research people. We've only got one Engineer that caused any problems, but the others have captured our Captain's bodyguard and are threatening to kill him."

Lillian shook her head disbelievingly, "Why am I not hearing about this on the radio?"

Axl turned a withering, pitying look on Lillian. "Because straight-radio is down. The engineer that turned? He trashed Telecommunications. All we've got are Station bounced and intercoms."

Lillian sighed and lowered her gun. "Alright. So where do we go looking for these kidnappers?"

Axl shrugged, and gestured for her to follow. She followed him into the Warden's office, then the Armory. Inside was a dead Security Officer, his skull a shattered mess of meat, and a gutshot Forensic Technician with a riot shotgun. He aimed the gun unsteadily at Axl for a moment, then sighed. "Hey boss. Found us some backup? I-" He coughed, and the cough turned into a full body spasm of agony. After a moment, he regained control of himself and continued, "I was watching on cameras, and I think I saw Quatermaster Leech taking the Captain into Maintenance near Atmospherics."

Lillian was listening raptly when a laser gun was roughly thrust into her hands. It was a Mil-Spec 535nm high-yield laser rifle, with a full charge. She slipped the strap over one shoulder and let it dangle by her left flank as Axl and the Tech discussed tactics.

"I really need medical attention. Trey might be a fucking lunatic by our standards, but he's a miracle worker. I won't make it much longer without help."

"Well, we need to rescue the Blueshield too. We fought off their first attack, we need to keep them on the backfoot with a counter attack."

Lillian frowned and said, "Axl, why don't you take this guy to get help? I don't have Medical Access and I am expendable, whereas you are NOT." She gestured at the dead officer. "And besides, if I go down, you need to get out of here and call in a Response Team, right?"

Axl narrowed his eyes and squared his shoulders, "Are you implying my team isn't up to our job?"

Lillian smiled and nodded slightly. "I'll be south of Atmospherics, sir. I expect you to join me as soon as you are done in the Medical Bay."

---

Lillian shined the big Maglite down the corridor, following a boot print made by a boot covered in motor oil. Oddly enough, the stride passed through a door, then turned abruptly into a wall, like the walker had stepped directly into the wall. Lillian shined her light on the wall for a moment, thinking, then she pushed gently with her free hand.

At first it resisted, but then the wall slid free into a recessed housing and Lillian pushed open the hidden door. Inside was a small room, filled with a variety of implements that could be used to administer what might generously be referred to as surgery. With his back to her was a Miner in a full hardsuit, standing over a black and blue uniformed Blueshield who was covered in blood.

Leech, the miner, was speaking quietly, and holding a screwdriver. "They ain't gonna find you, motherfucker. And even if they did, ain't no cloning gonna fix what I do to you. You dying here today, man."

The Blueshield looked up, past the Miner, his face beaten so badly that one eye was swollen shut. Lillian thumbed the Fire Mode lever from Safe to Lethal - Rapid Fire on the laser rifle, and held it casually pointed at Chase Leech. He turned his head, and she wondered how he knew she was there even in that hardsuit. "Hello officer, I just found this man and was providing assistance."

Leech started to turn, bringing out a gun, but Lillian fired first. Her shot took Leech's right elbow and transformed it into a modern art piece about the frailty of human existence. He dropped the gun he had, and the beleaguered Blueshield shimmied on his back, grabbing the solid-round pistol with his hand-cuffed hands. Leech was screaming in agony, and Lillian kept the gun pointed at him as she moved into the room, uncuffing the Blueshield.

He stood, and a presence filled the room. "Comrade Helsbrecht. Comrade Kuznetsov. There is no need for you to fight us. We could all work together, for the Greater Good..."

Lillian turned to face... An old man in hooded black robes, loosely holding an obsidian rod with one hand. He nodded at her curtly, then continued speaking, "I am Dimitri Bolshevik, and I wish to offer you a chance not many are given. I am offering you the chance to choose your own future. Not to persist under the thumb of some Mega-Corporation."

He moved into the already small room as Chase sank to the floor, falling into shock. Dimitri kept a safe distance from the two armed crew, instead checking Chase's pulse gently. He said, "I think you will find that our dear Captain Johnson is a megalomaniac, a fool, and a danger to this station. Please just give me a reasonable chance."

Behind him, a Cargo Technician and a Scientist flanked the doorway armed with strange, updated revolver-tasers.

Lillian held her gun loosely, and said, "Listen, I'm all for peace and understanding and free love, but things have gone a bit far. The clown tried to rape and murder me earlier, and Chase was about to murder this poor guy. Let's all just go to the brig and get things sorted out."

The Cargo Tech raised his gun, and Lillian reacted. She fired two shots, one flash-frying the Cargo-Tech's face, the next sparking harmlessly off the wall next to the scientist. Dimitri stood unmoving, still holding his symbol of office, as gunfire went off around him.

After a few moments of gunfire, the Blueshield and both revolutionaries were dead, and Lillian was uninjured, as was Dimitri. She turned to point her gun at him, and he smiled coldly, his dark eyes intense and brooding. "Miss Helsbrecht, you appear to have made a tactical mistake. This isn't a gunfight..."

The Null Rod lashed out, catching the laser rifle in the middle and knocking it flying. Lillian whipped out a metal cylinder about five inches long and maybe an inch in diameter, and flicked her wrist. The metal collapsed out, forming a medium-length baton of hard steel. She swept her baton across, deflecting Dimitri's first swing, but he body-checked her as she recovered.

Lillian fell to the ground and Dimitri lashed out with his Null Rod. She raised an arm to block and the bone snapped with a gruesome crunch as Dimitri broke her arm. He raised his Null rod again, and Lillian fell back, too weak to fight, as it descended towards her face.
---

To be continued
---
He's fucking with us.

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 02:38:40 am »

All of my yes. PTW.

I'll never forget the first time I met Lillian. I was in the chemistry lab, when she showed up at the counter, smiled sweetly, and nonchalantly demanded 'Thermite.'. That was just the beginning...

Good times.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13