Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 'Gender and Orientation'  (Read 9456 times)

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
'Gender and Orientation'
« on: October 03, 2014, 09:01:34 pm »

OK, so I found this in Dwarf Therapist, and it's an option which groups dwarves with the gender and sexual orientation together as the name suggests ('F, Hetero', 'F, Bi', 'F, Homo', 'F, Asexual', 'M, Hetero', etc). Does this currently add to the game in any way other than the possibility of recreating several adult videos I have in mind?
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: 'Gender and Orientation'
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 09:03:25 pm »

It changes who dwarves are attracted to. If the attraction is reciprocated, they will become lovers and (possibly) marry.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 09:08:37 pm »

Its mostly an immersion thing, with very few gameplay effects on dwarves, unless you're doing a legacy fort or something like that. However, it makes animal breeding slightly more difficult, as some animals aren't interested in breeding. Which limits catsplosions and such, but makes it a pain to breed megabeasts and rare animals.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 10:49:29 pm »

makes it a pain to breed megabeasts

I'm sorry, what?
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 12:36:20 am »

makes it a pain to breed megabeasts

I'm sorry, what?

Let's say we have two dragons, a male and a female captured with cage traps and we want a dragon breeding program, because that's dwarven as hell. Now, each of the two dragons has a chance to be interested in long-term relationships with the opposite gender, flings with the opposite gender, flings with the same gender, long-term relationships with the same gender or completely uninterested. While the default settings make the likelihood of each in roughly descending order from the above list, that's still a decent chance we don't get any baby dragons. Which, considering that there might ONLY be two dragons in this particular world, means that there is a much lower chance of having a swarm of fort-bred dragons/rocs/whatever then in 34.11. Although its quite possible to mod the [ORIENTATION] tags for some/all animals/megabeasts so that these types of breeding programs are more possible, if not NESSECARILY more realistic[As I'm really not qualified to say to what degree homosexuality and asexuality are practiced/experienced by dragons. Although, if they are intelligent creatures in the DF world, it would certainly make sense.].
Spooky Signature

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 12:41:22 am »

Doesn't that only affect creatures who need to marry to reproduce? For non-civ creatures, aren't spores still in effect?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 12:44:19 am »

Doesn't that only affect creatures who need to marry to reproduce? For non-civ creatures, aren't spores still in effect?

If I remember correctly from a similar discussion in another thread like this, spores only work for creatures that would be willing to marry. Which might not be realistic for all animals, since many types of them don't mate for life.
Spooky Signature

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 12:51:18 am »

I have had a fortress die because my main source of food was peahen eggs, and I had three peacocks. One got killed by a zombie polarbear, and the other two ended up being gay, so no eggs. And then everyone died, the end.

So no, it does affect animals.

Dracko81

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 01:12:15 am »

I thought egg layers always laid eggs, and it is a matter of whether or not they are fertile.  I have even done this with animals in my forts, and they all laid eggs without a male of the species in the fortress.

If you mean you were unable to replace your peahens, then that makes much more sense.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 01:15:39 am »

I thought egg layers always laid eggs, and it is a matter of whether or not they are fertile.  I have even done this with animals in my forts, and they all laid eggs without a male of the species in the fortress.

If you mean you were unable to replace your peahens, then that makes much more sense.
Yeah, it was the first year in a haunted glacier. When more migrants showed up I ran out of food rather quickly...

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 08:47:28 am »

My boar is gay... thankfully, I have a vast amount of food and about 120 leather from a caravan.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 12:22:22 pm »

In the old days, you could just bring 1 male and 2-4 females of a particular species and be assured of a breeding pair.

These days, you have a 25% chance that any single critter will not mate, ever.

So to be sure of having at least one breeding pair, you should now bring 3 of each gender (which gives you about a 97% chance of success).

(Overall, I agree with the change... but it does make embark points a bit more precious if you want to bring livestock to breed.)

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 01:53:39 pm »

(Overall, I agree with the change... but it does make embark points a bit more precious if you want to bring livestock to breed.)

Under advanced world creation, you can raise embark points if you just want a few more to compensate for this change in animal orientation. Since it is a new aspect that may need a little adjustment to work with, I consider it a house rule, but your mileage may vary.  ;)

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 02:10:39 pm »

I think I'll just mod the chances down for animals. Humans (and presumably human-like fantasy races) have absurdly complicated sexuality compared to most of the rest of the animal kingdom, so it only makes sense.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 02:43:55 pm »

The funniest example I've always found was that of reindeer (I think it was) where some males look like females and get grouped with females where they go on and breed while the 'real men' are fighting eachother during breeding season
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: [1] 2