Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: GeoVox: World Generator with realistic geological history (in progress)  (Read 20332 times)

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: GeoVox: World Generator with realistic geological history (in progress)
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2014, 08:58:14 pm »

Might be a little much to suggest but is there any way post world creation we'd be able to watch tectonics move? Like using a utility with the world file to watch the world form. It'd be neat to see.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2014, 09:09:56 pm »

Yes, absolutely. I'm including visual feedback for most of the process for my own debugging and design purposes already, anyway. At some point, I will probably add a simple GUI with buttons to turn on "temperature view mode" "elevation view mode" etc. to make it easier. Currently I only HAVE temperature on the map since elevation is still uniform, so... yeah. But later, yes.

It's already running SDL for the pixel art shown here (the temp map unfolds in real time, this is just a screenshot).

If I ever feel masochistic enough to try and figure out OpenGL (or if I really need to in order to solve designs or bugs), I could even do 3D and cutaways, but dunno about that. At the very least, cross sections in X, Y, or Z are a likelihood.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 09:11:53 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2014, 10:43:40 pm »

Yes, absolutely. I'm including visual feedback for most of the process for my own debugging and design purposes already, anyway. At some point, I will probably add a simple GUI with buttons to turn on "temperature view mode" "elevation view mode" etc. to make it easier. Currently I only HAVE temperature on the map since elevation is still uniform, so... yeah. But later, yes.

It's already running SDL for the pixel art shown here (the temp map unfolds in real time, this is just a screenshot).

If I ever feel masochistic enough to try and figure out OpenGL (or if I really need to in order to solve designs or bugs), I could even do 3D and cutaways, but dunno about that. At the very least, cross sections in X, Y, or Z are a likelihood.

That's... delicious.  :P
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2014, 05:16:20 pm »

Much better thermodynamics now, they are pretty much done for this stage.

Instead of just throwing heat in directly from plumes, now every single thing is done via actual heat flow based on temperature gradients, so it gets stronger the bigger the gradient. This strongly encourages equilibria and stability.

In this image, the three vertical strips are cutaways for debugging purposes. Left side is top surface layer, middle is a middle layer of the crust, right is the layer nearest the mantle.

The mantle in general has a temperature, and so does the atmosphere, as well as thermal qualities like conductance and specific heat. In the vicinity of plumes, the mantle temperature goes up locally (and it's hard to see, but it doesn't add blindly, but acts sort of convection cell-shaped, only primitively though). So everything cools to air on top and heats to the mantle beneath, and settles into equilibrium states.

Currently, on a 300x300x5-thick world, the calculating flow between every goxel takes about 1/3 of a second (representing 1 million years or so). I had to do a bit of optimizing to make it sane, but done for now. Later if it's an issue, I can look into threading temperature separately or checking small chunks and not updating them if they are staying static, etc.

Less glamorous than the last image, but also wouldn't lead to giant melted holes in the crust unlike that one =P

(at equilibrium with non-moving plates, after 75 or so steps)

Later, as well, the temperature will be more interesting. When the thickness of the crust begins to vary, the proximal mantle will be hotter further down than for the thinner crust. And new ocean plates will be a bit warmer when just formed, and the local mantle temp will lower temporarily if cold rock is subducting into it nearby, and different materials with different thermal properties mix in, etc.

Also just for fun, one of the more beautiful buggy outputs I had while trying to get this to work properly. IIRC, it thought that the plates were vibrating and gliding, or something like that, when they weren't supposed to be (this was before the equilibrium, so red just stayed red):

It also gives you an idea of how much is actually going on under the hood beyond what the nice little symmetrical images suggest (a side effect of plates not moving yet, etc.)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:44:35 am by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2014, 01:49:14 am »

That buggy output causes disturbingly large artifacts in my vision when I'm not focusing on it...

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2014, 05:31:55 pm »

Is this dead or just sleeping?

(noooooooo it's too cool to die, tell me it's OK)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2015, 07:40:17 am »

Following the blog, now following here.
As milo does I hope this still lives.
Taste my Paci-Fist

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Laughingdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2015, 10:40:12 pm »

Also PTW from me. I've been waiting for something like this for a long time.
Ever wanted to see your DF world Google Earth-style? Check out my Satellite Map Maker!

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2015, 06:27:04 am »

GavJ hasn't logged in for two weeks and this thread hasn't seen an update for two months. Who knows if we'll see anything?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2015, 07:08:56 am »

Did he ever answer the "How are you actually going to make the game do any of this?" question with more than "pssh piece of cake"?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2015, 07:22:53 am »

IIRC the idea was to use a DFHack script and individually replace every tile in a given embark site.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 2 [3]