Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you a pixel artist? Let's account for everyone!

Yes
- 29 (54.7%)
No
- 24 (45.3%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 48

Author Topic: Lair of the Pixel Artist (Share Your Pixel Art Here)  (Read 102608 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Lair of the Pixel Artist
« Reply #135 on: November 03, 2014, 12:44:45 pm »

Spoiler: Talking sprite (click to show/hide)
O:
I posted some other bad FEF sprites in the FEF hub thread, if you want to see more bad sprites.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 03, 2014, 02:02:30 pm »

Spoiler: Talking sprite (click to show/hide)
O:
I posted some other bad FEF sprites in the FEF hub thread, if you want to see more bad sprites.
@_@
You and Reverie and Swordstar should really get together. Y'all are amazing artists .-.

ON THAT NOTE. I think you should poke Reverie about this thread :P
I've had
Spoiler: This thing of hers (click to show/hide)
open in a whole other tab...

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 04, 2014, 09:51:12 pm »

Post to Watch.

E: I didn't kill the thread, did I?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 09:44:45 pm by BlackFlyme »

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 09, 2014, 12:42:39 am »

Post to Watch.

E: I didn't kill the thread, did I?
Hopefully not.

Crossposting from the RTYD/S/M thread, I'm making a hexagonal tileset for a forum game I hope to run soon, and I just finished the first tile, the forest.

Native resolution:

Enlarged to show pixeling:

Tessellated on a hex-grid:

Note: I did use a blur tool for the background/grass part, but I'm planning to redo it when I get a chance to.

Anyone have advice on how to improve it?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #139 on: November 09, 2014, 01:21:43 am »

Nice work! Good readability and effective use of colors. Dithering is perfect.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 09, 2014, 01:49:58 am »

Maybe, if it doesn't have to be monochrome, color the trunks brown?

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 10, 2014, 03:05:13 am »

I drew some "Evil Rocks" for a game I'm working in. These are replacing simple 16x16 rock sprites I made earlier, because I think that making higher resolution sprites might actually be somewhat easier than ultra-low-res sprites. I think maybe because it requires less funky stylisation to get looking any good.

Here is the tile:

And here is it tiled:

Dithering hurts my brain, especially for angles and curves, but I tried my best to make it not look like static.

Still need to draw some sprites for the floor, walls, and roof (which will have flatter surfaces), along with corners etc.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #142 on: November 10, 2014, 10:16:43 am »

You have some really good ideas when it comes to dithering, I don't have any particular advice about your technique. You really need to break up the pattern so it isn't so repetitive, but I'm sure you know that already. :P

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 10, 2014, 11:22:09 am »

effective use of colors. Dithering is perfect.
wow hold onto your horses
what colors
what perfection
there is one color in a bunch of different shades and the detail picking is alright except the oblong trees are a bit fucky due to the 1x2 streaks

i mean one thing is being positive, another is being outright absurd
did you know that a single shade of color is a really bad idea

now add some lighting and additional color fuckery in 10 minutes and bam

what do we have here (something that doesn't look like it's an army men figurine)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 12:07:09 pm by Bloax »

oh_no

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #144 on: November 10, 2014, 01:10:07 pm »

effective use of colors.
what colors

Dithering is perfect.
what perfection
He used three colors and created a well readable image. It's not pretty (contrast was unnaturally high) but it is effective, that is to say a very practical use of color. He's making a hex-based forum game, it's done the job, time to move on.

You actually didn't make any changes at all to his dithering patterns, so yeah I think it was really good. I didn't make comment on his lighting or shading at all, you certainly improved it. No argument there.

Thanks a lot for the show and tell, you're really talented and it's nice that you took the time to demonstrate, but the point gets across just fine without being outright rude.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 01:18:01 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2014, 09:12:53 pm »

Yes wow that's absolutely gorgeous :0 the color scheme reminds me of Chrono Trigger overland sprites. It's soops good. I like the names :P

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 11, 2014, 06:33:05 am »

You have some really good ideas when it comes to dithering, I don't have any particular advice about your technique. You really need to break up the pattern so it isn't so repetitive, but I'm sure you know that already. :P

I'm glad to hear it looks alright. I do intend to draw some stuff to break up the monotony of the pattern, different rock patterns, maybe throw in some bones etc.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 12, 2014, 09:15:32 pm »

I drew some "Evil Rocks" for a game I'm working in. These are replacing simple 16x16 rock sprites I made earlier, because I think that making higher resolution sprites might actually be somewhat easier than ultra-low-res sprites. I think maybe because it requires less funky stylisation to get looking any good.

-cut-

Dithering hurts my brain, especially for angles and curves, but I tried my best to make it not look like static.

Still need to draw some sprites for the floor, walls, and roof (which will have flatter surfaces), along with corners etc.
You did a really nice job. I use dithering very sparingly, however, so I don't have any advice for that.
On tilesets, however, like GUNINANRUNIN said, you're going to need to break it up. That was a bit pointless as you've already mentioned fixing it, haha.
There is quite a bit of dark space between the rocks though. It makes it feel not connected and looks like they're floating in space.
I'd recommend using a darker shade of you primary color, but I see you're going for very small use of colours. Would probably be better to push the rocks closer together and add more smaller rocks.
What is this going to be used for, by the way? If it's for a floor, then I recommend making it a bit flatter.
Finally, it might be better to use smaller rocks overall. It's a bit more difficult to make an non-repeating pattern from large rocks, especially if they're cut off at the edge of their tile.

My own thing, now. I don't know whether to post this here or in the Random things thread, as I'm wondering about anatomical stuff more than pixel art technique, but it is a pixel thing, too. I'll just post it here because I'm already here making this post.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Its intended to be a female character, but I don't want to make the breasts right now. Mind the incredibly derpy hands.
How are my arms/legs? I'm not entirely satisfied with the arms and the legs look pretty okay to me.

Last thing! Put me up for hire in the OP. I'm good with making items and characters, okay with tilesets, not great with UI stuff but willing to try. dA, Youtube
I'll do small, single pieces for free(minor animations too) but I'll need payment for tilesets, animations, or working for larger projects.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #148 on: November 12, 2014, 10:00:00 pm »

Its intended to be a female character, but I don't want to make the breasts right now. Mind the incredibly derpy hands.
How are my arms/legs? I'm not entirely satisfied with the arms and the legs look pretty okay to me.

Last thing! Put me up for hire in the OP. I'm good with making items and characters, okay with tilesets, not great with UI stuff but willing to try. dA, Youtube
I'll do small, single pieces for free(minor animations too) but I'll need payment for tilesets, animations, or working for larger projects.
Looks good to me so far! I envy your ability to do poses. >:I

Added you to the OP. c:

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 12, 2014, 11:04:16 pm »

You did a really nice job. I use dithering very sparingly, however, so I don't have any advice for that.
On tilesets, however, like GUNINANRUNIN said, you're going to need to break it up. That was a bit pointless as you've already mentioned fixing it, haha.
There is quite a bit of dark space between the rocks though. It makes it feel not connected and looks like they're floating in space.
I'd recommend using a darker shade of you primary color, but I see you're going for very small use of colours. Would probably be better to push the rocks closer together and add more smaller rocks.
What is this going to be used for, by the way? If it's for a floor, then I recommend making it a bit flatter.
Finally, it might be better to use smaller rocks overall. It's a bit more difficult to make an non-repeating pattern from large rocks, especially if they're cut off at the edge of their tile.

Your right, there is too much space between the rocks. This is something I noticed as I started building some mockup levels out of them, they look very empty. And your also right on the small rocks, after making some corners/flats which required me to break up the larger rocks, it really does look better. What I should probably do is use mostly smaller rocks wedged together (several patterns of smaller rocks too), and scatter a few larger rocks throughout to help break up the pattern.

These are tiles for a platformer, the tile I posted are for the background. I made some flat ground/roof/corner tiles too.

The colour is something I'm never quite sure how to handle. I tend to make the colour difference very small in everything because I'm concerned that it will look too... "distinct", or seperate. But It might be because I have been staring at these rocks for some time while playing with these colours, and my perception of the colours (compared to someone who has seen it for the first time) is all messed up (sort of like how if you repeat a word over and over, it becomes all strange and breaks down into its individual sounds). I will try seperating the colours more and posting the result here (a bit later, ATM I'm on a laptop and the screen is shockingly blue-tinted and not very good for anything to do with colour). Another concern I had was that the player is a Bat (who is going to be brown), the rocks are dark red, the lava is light red, and things like lava glow red, i.e. there might be too much red on the screen. What I might do is colour the rocks... dark purple? (for some reason dark purple has an evilish look to it) and the player grey to help make the scene look a bit more varied.

Also, what exactly do you mean by "a darker shade of you primary color"? Darker red? darker overall? Desaturation? etc. I am a complete colour noob...

Nonetheless, here is a mockup level:

You eat your own head
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 48