Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you a pixel artist? Let's account for everyone!

Yes
- 29 (54.7%)
No
- 24 (45.3%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 48

Author Topic: Lair of the Pixel Artist (Share Your Pixel Art Here)  (Read 102585 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Lair of the Pixel Artist
« Reply #615 on: June 07, 2017, 12:06:25 pm »

Hm! I don't see why not, go for it.

The three darkest foreground colors I borrowed from Aseprite's default palette, and the rest I made myself. The foreground colors when going from left to right all shift towards warm, while increasing saturation and brightness, while the background colors do that thing I do where saturation and brightness are inversely proportional, but I didn't mess with the hue much like I normally do to imitate your background.

The end result is we have a reddish foreground and a blue-gray background. This gives us a very clear separation without totally disrupting the mood you were going for.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 01:17:55 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

AltairSonOfDarkness

• Bay Watcher
  • Fertilizer.
    • View Profile
    • My Devblog and other stuff
« Reply #616 on: June 07, 2017, 01:01:59 pm »

I can't thank you more!

After applying the assets as they were, the game looked like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It was too cheerful for me, looked like a Donkey Kong or some sunset scenery, which just doesn't fit my vision.
What i did was graying back the masterfully dithered stones and added a blue tint, like this:

I know it's probably worse like that, but i can't help my prefference of mood over aesthetics.
I'm sorry for being so fussy about it.

E: Added spoilers.
A game of despair, violence and gore.
That's what you seek? Say no more...

EpicJ

• Bay Watcher
  • "Drop the hemp wool sock!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: June 07, 2017, 03:13:37 pm »

I know it's probably worse like that, but i can't help my prefference of mood over aesthetics.

desaturate the stones some more and it might look just as good. Having bright stones with a dark bridge makes the two look disconnected.

AltairSonOfDarkness

• Bay Watcher
  • Fertilizer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: June 08, 2017, 09:21:42 am »

Desaturating just turnt them gray, which wasn't great, but darkening it up a bit - that helped a lot.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: June 08, 2017, 10:11:25 am »

I think this version looks the best, and is the version i'd like to play lol
A little update on the game's look:

My only actual criticism is of the bridge elements. Everything else is so atmospheric and world-building relevant--except the bridges-- It would go a long way to make the bridges arc up or down and have some supports (either rope up top or beams underneath) would increase production quality immensely.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

AltairSonOfDarkness

• Bay Watcher
  • Fertilizer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: June 08, 2017, 11:40:21 am »

I think this version looks the best, and is the version i'd like to play lol
A little update on the game's look:

My only actual criticism is of the bridge elements. Everything else is so atmospheric and world-building relevant--except the bridges-- It would go a long way to make the bridges arc up or down and have some supports (either rope up top or beams underneath) would increase production quality immensely.

I know it lacks enviromental features, that's what i'll add at the polish phase. For now i must focus on gameplay and animations. My character needs walking, jumping, falling, those are essential.
The arcing of bridges would be rather headachish to implement, but i think impaled skulls, small halfdead trees and some fallen apart fences will do.

Noyemi K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Delmun Soft
« Reply #621 on: June 11, 2017, 09:54:38 am »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: June 11, 2017, 12:34:12 pm »

I feel like the walls in the bottom picture could use some more shading.

Like, make one diagonal darker than the straight wall, and one slightly lighter.

The two sofas could also have different shading, though then you can't mirror the sprite.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: June 11, 2017, 02:06:13 pm »

The lantern flames seem... off. It doesn't really seem like a flame billowing upwards to me.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Noyemi K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Delmun Soft
« Reply #624 on: June 13, 2017, 08:43:55 pm »

The lantern flames seem... off. It doesn't really seem like a flame billowing upwards to me.
It's a weird engine peculiarity that causes it to flicker when the sprite is changed. This is what the animation looks like outside of it:

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #625 on: June 14, 2017, 01:58:05 am »

Scaled 2x:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 07:09:06 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #626 on: June 14, 2017, 05:32:57 am »

It took me quite a while to work out what was going on with the ice-cream (that is an ice-cream, right?), and her left shoulder seems to be MIA, but otherwise I like it. Your limited-palette work is still good!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: June 14, 2017, 08:07:03 pm »

It took me quite a while to work out what was going on with the ice-cream (that is an ice-cream, right?), and her left shoulder seems to be MIA, but otherwise I like it. Your limited-palette work is still good!
Oh... so she isn't holding a bleeding dragon tooth moments after tearing it from its place in a fiery maw? Darn.

Anyway though, I think the missing shoulder is due to the style of shading; it's the same reason the hat doesn't have an outline all the way around. Can confirm, is very good!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #628 on: June 14, 2017, 08:32:37 pm »

It took me quite a while to work out what was going on with the ice-cream (that is an ice-cream, right?),

and her left shoulder seems to be MIA,

but otherwise I like it. Your limited-palette work is still good!
Yup, that's some manner of frozen treat.

I didn't see that there was much of a call for shadow there since her left arm strategically blocks the crease of her arm, but after you mentioned that I saw it was a touch inconsistent with the hat and I erased the outline where it was being hit directly by the light.

Thank you! I appreciate all comments and criticism.

Oh... so she isn't holding a bleeding dragon tooth moments after tearing it from its place in a fiery maw? Darn.

Anyway though, I think the missing shoulder is due to the style of shading; it's the same reason the hat doesn't have an outline all the way around. Can confirm, is very good!
In earlier drafts I was trying to make it look like she was crushing the cone but i couldn't quite pull it off!

Precisely, and thank you very much!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 08:35:17 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #629 on: June 20, 2017, 09:59:15 pm »

Added Wesnoth's basic animation tutorial to the OP: https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Basic_Animation_Tutorial

Really good guide to getting started with animation. Check out their art contributions subforum to see some interesting animation WIPs as well.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 48