Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you a pixel artist? Let's account for everyone!

Yes
- 29 (54.7%)
No
- 24 (45.3%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 48

Author Topic: Lair of the Pixel Artist (Share Your Pixel Art Here)  (Read 102347 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Lair of the Pixel Artist (Share Your Pixel Art Here)
« Reply #660 on: October 15, 2017, 03:48:07 pm »

Those lines above the eyes represent the brow. Eyelashes are far too small to be the kind of detail you would try and represent at this size anyways.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: October 15, 2017, 03:49:38 pm »

Yeah, I'd say the guy looks MORE feminine now without those great big eyebrows.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #662 on: October 15, 2017, 04:11:43 pm »

Eyebrows would have to be separated from the eyes by at least one pixel. That's just jrpg conventions.
For reference:

The black outlines are her lashes, not her brows.

Another ref, especially interesting because the brows are actually drawn (2nd character)

Brows are rarely drawn at this resolution, but, counterintuitively maybe, eyelashes are.

Also while I'm at it, might as well share my own work. It's not finished and probably never will, but it's not completely aweful so...

One day I'll finish a project
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 04:34:36 pm by Cathar »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #663 on: October 17, 2017, 02:52:01 pm »

By "brow" I more meant the shadow of the forehead ridge, but looking again at the anime art style, I can definitely see how it was meant to be the eyelashes now.

Also while I'm at it, might as well share my own work. It's not finished and probably never will, but it's not completely aweful so...
That animation is so very close to being fully realized! I love seeing the rotation of his body translated into strikes and seeing that in the wrinkles on his clothes. My main problem is that, while the speed of the kick is definitely there with how we see the leg prepare for one frame and then strike, I think you need to linger on the extended leg more so we have time to realize that he did in fact reach out for a kick. Right now it passes so quickly that it feels like there was not an actual strike, which might be fine if we could see a character reacting to the hit, but here it doesn't look great.

I'd be surprised if you hadn't already, but I'd recommend looking at King of Fighters or Street Fighter animations to understand what makes a hit look good:

You can see how at least two frames are spent with the leg in the same position after the strike has landed so we can really feel all the energy going out of his leg and into his opponent.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #664 on: October 17, 2017, 03:00:58 pm »

Oh yes, I totally see your point. I'd need to do one frame with the leg actually fully extended to make the hit look more powerful. Pixel art and animation are definitely not my art...
But one day, one day, I'll go back to it and actually finish a video game project. But with this one I definitely bit more on what I could chew.
I'm more inspired by Street of Rage, mostly due to what the guys of Chrono Clash told me : the smallest the resolution, the less frames needed. To work on something of the resolution of a modern video game would require a full team of professional artists to make progress. The time it needs is... unbelievably long
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 03:03:19 pm by Cathar »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: October 18, 2017, 07:20:32 am »

Tiny, tiny InfiniCave pixel art: Part 1:

Excuse my poor skills. Probably more to come.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

EpicJ

• Bay Watcher
  • "Drop the hemp wool sock!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: October 18, 2017, 10:40:38 am »

I've been trying to get the hand of swordplay recently and as a result have created this.

Feedback on how to make it look more fluid or natural would be appreciated. The idea is that it's a trained and controlled strike.

Bigger version, if you need it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #667 on: October 18, 2017, 11:29:50 am »

The actual swing looks great, the motion blur is well done and he steps into the blow so the strike has a lot of power, it just doesn't look like he's attacking something in front of him, where you'd expect his opponent to be, so it comes off as a flourish moreso than an attack. If you make him extend his sword further out in front of him I think it would look better.

Here's a good video of a swordsman slowly going through his attacks and explaining principles of rapier fencing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oiaeF33yzA

You don't have to imitate this guy's poses but listen to what he's saying about sword fighting and understand why he keeps his sword out in front of him, and the reasons for his approach to attacking using a rapier. Also keep in mind that he is a sportsman, NOT a soldier, and let that color your perceptions of what he's doing. Keep in mind that it's always okay to ignore some of the techniques people use in reality if it makes for a better animation.

Send me a PM to remind me and I'll link you to a pixel animator who does very visceral and realistic fight animations. He has some great examples of sabre fighting that I want to show you.

Edit:
Here we are, this is Holmik's artwork, he's amazing at depicting combat.
http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/114387.htm
http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/111161.htm
http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/113808.htm
http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/107829.htm
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 03:40:54 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: October 19, 2017, 12:55:52 am »

Ah shit. What's the name of that new soulsvania game? Is he working on that one? The priest one looks VERY similar to the game's art style.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: October 19, 2017, 01:20:09 am »

Dead Cells is the only soulsvania game I know of.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #670 on: October 19, 2017, 09:47:42 am »

Ah shit. What's the name of that new soulsvania game? Is he working on that one? The priest one looks VERY similar to the game's art style.
It says in the description of the piece that it's for Blasphemous.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: October 19, 2017, 12:44:56 pm »

Ya, that's the one... it's gonna look so D A N K.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: October 22, 2017, 12:04:30 pm »

Here's a fighter plane I made.
any comments or criticism are appreciated.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: October 22, 2017, 12:49:55 pm »

I don't think jet planes have machine guns mounted like that. Pretty sure they're supposed to be in the wings or nose.

Jet planes move pretty fast, and if you have a machine gun sticking out like that, it's gonna kick up plenty of wind resistance.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: October 22, 2017, 01:03:10 pm »

I don't think jet planes have machine guns mounted like that. Pretty sure they're supposed to be in the wings or nose.

Jet planes move pretty fast, and if you have a machine gun sticking out like that, it's gonna kick up plenty of wind resistance.
Thank you for your advice, I have modified the sprite:
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 48