Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you a pixel artist? Let's account for everyone!

Yes
- 29 (54.7%)
No
- 24 (45.3%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 48

Author Topic: Lair of the Pixel Artist (Share Your Pixel Art Here)  (Read 102352 times)

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
Re: Lair of the Pixel Artist
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2014, 09:28:33 pm »

I made a banner for the competition, but I'm not too happy with how it turned out. I'll post it anyway, I guess.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2014, 09:48:39 pm »

I'd be willing to do it--if it doesn't appear along Kal/banner this weekend then assume somethiing horrible happened that let me not do it (I'm not claiming to do it just pinning it down on my to-do list)
Um, did something horrible happen?
To everyone on this thread?
> Was very sad that I couldn't attend a burial of relative due to school reasons >_>
> Was very sad in general.
> Also sick. Cough with argh. And blood. Good thing: No TB.
> Still made progress despite lack of motivation.
> You're ok with silly pixels right?
> Can the banner be around 500~ width?

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2014, 09:56:06 pm »

I'd be willing to do it--if it doesn't appear along Kal/banner this weekend then assume somethiing horrible happened that let me not do it (I'm not claiming to do it just pinning it down on my to-do list)
Um, did something horrible happen?
To everyone on this thread?
> Was very sad that I couldn't attend a burial of relative due to school reasons >_>
> Was very sad in general.
> Also sick. Cough with argh. And blood. Good thing: No TB.
> Still made progress despite lack of motivation.
> You're ok with silly pixels right?
Yeah, that's fine. Get better soon Tiruin!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2014, 10:16:06 pm »

If you like! The width limit was largely to keep some people from overextending themselves, but also in the interest of making it fit on most people's browsers without having to scroll. Keep it under 1000!

I made a banner for the competition, but I'm not too happy with how it turned out. I'll post it anyway, I guess.

It's a very good start! I gave you guys lots of time for a reason, you should all be posting your WIPs and asking for advice! Only the end product will be judged.

Your highlights are very nice but the overall shading job isn't so great. The banding on the empty vat on the left is particularly egregious, you oughtn't to ever shade that way.
Spoiler: Banding (click to show/hide)
You can see the obvious transition between colors on the leftmost image. There are techniques you can use to avoid that, such as dithering.

The wall and floor tiles are obvious and repetitive, and your light sources are conflicting. On all the vats we see a distinct light source coming in from the front-right, but all the wall tiles appear to be lit from directly in front, and the floor is lit from something above. It removes all depth from the scene and it makes the occupants appear to be floating in mid-air.

Also, there is no shadow at all cast by the monitor, the vats or the guy at the keyboard.

Your best solution to the lighting issues is to pick a direction (top-right, top-left) and shade everything using that as a rule. You can get by without having to make many changes to the vats or tubes if you fix the floor and walls.

all the wall tiles appear to be lit from directly in front
This is called pillow shading, it's bad and should be avoided in almost every case.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Above image is from: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8624.0

All the things I've covered are in the tutorial linked in the OP. It tells you about things to avoid when you're spriting.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2014, 12:24:07 am »

If you like! The width limit was largely to keep some people from overextending themselves, but also in the interest of making it fit on most people's browsers without having to scroll. Keep it under 1000!
._.
You do permit usage of many different colors, right? Not just limited to 8/16/32/64 bits?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2014, 12:40:26 am »

Nope, no color limits.

As a rule pixel arts like low color counts so I don't recommend being too crazy with colors.
I wanna say this image from Hyper Light Drifter has less than 10 colors total including black*.

*It's actually something like a really dark violet, but your eyeball can't tell the difference!

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2014, 09:43:19 pm »

It's a very good start! I gave you guys lots of time for a reason, you should all be posting your WIPs and asking for advice! Only the end product will be judged.

Your highlights are very nice but the overall shading job isn't so great. The banding on the empty vat on the left is particularly egregious, you oughtn't to ever shade that way.
Spoiler: Banding (click to show/hide)
You can see the obvious transition between colors on the leftmost image. There are techniques you can use to avoid that, such as dithering.

The wall and floor tiles are obvious and repetitive, and your light sources are conflicting. On all the vats we see a distinct light source coming in from the front-right, but all the wall tiles appear to be lit from directly in front, and the floor is lit from something above. It removes all depth from the scene and it makes the occupants appear to be floating in mid-air.

Also, there is no shadow at all cast by the monitor, the vats or the guy at the keyboard.

Your best solution to the lighting issues is to pick a direction (top-right, top-left) and shade everything using that as a rule. You can get by without having to make many changes to the vats or tubes if you fix the floor and walls.

all the wall tiles appear to be lit from directly in front
This is called pillow shading, it's bad and should be avoided in almost every case.
Above image is from: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8624.0

All the things I've covered are in the tutorial linked in the OP. It tells you about things to avoid when you're spriting.
Alright, I'll see what I can do about it. Thanks for the advice!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #97 on: October 22, 2014, 12:36:18 am »

A screen from my sidescroller (my first game! :o) while testing projectiles.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 06:01:15 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2014, 04:48:53 am »

Nearest neighbor resize pls
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2014, 07:54:53 am »

Nearest neighbor resize pls
I enlarged the screen with BBCode, I was testing it at native res. Making sure all the wiggly bits were workin' proper like-

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2014, 12:52:51 pm »

so i herd u liek low-colour cylinders

3 colours. :v
Honestly though, having 4-5 shades per colour is probably the most comfortable, and if you zoom in on, say, this particular work of a really good artist (who also uses dithering to great effect), you'll notice that there are surprisingly few unique colours. While you obviously shouldn't outright handicap yourself by using limited colours (at least not beyond self-imposed challenges), using fewer colours is easier for the artist to keep track of and also helps to make the entire image more coherent. Also, supposedly a slightly off black is easier on the eyes than regular pitch black, although i personally can't see the difference. :v

no i have no idea who i'm talking to get off my back i just wanted to draw a cylinder okay
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2014, 12:56:41 pm »

When is the banner due? I need to know so I can either keep/stop procrastinating and do it.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2014, 12:57:27 pm »

That's a pretty darn good cylinder, Shook.

I personally suck at shading, which is why you never see it in any game I've illustrated, so I'm very envious of people who can shade well.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2014, 12:59:12 pm »

Shadin' ain't no easy thing.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2014, 01:06:31 pm »

The "always use an off-black/off-white" rule is partially for the benefit of the colors that might be around your sprite. Say if your image is on a website or inside your program or in a game that's full screen with a low aspect ratio (you get black bars on the sides), white and black are really common colors and its not desirable for your sprite's pure black/white to match up with something that's in the background.
Spoiler: For Example (click to show/hide)

The other reason is because whitish purple > light purple > purple > dark purple > almost black purple makes it-
Spoiler: smoooooooth (click to show/hide)

When is the banner due? I need to know so I can either keep/stop procrastinating and do it.
October 31st, 11:59PM

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 48