Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you a pixel artist? Let's account for everyone!

Yes
- 29 (54.7%)
No
- 24 (45.3%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 48

Author Topic: Lair of the Pixel Artist (Share Your Pixel Art Here)  (Read 102642 times)

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
Re: Lair of the Pixel Artist
« Reply #225 on: January 01, 2015, 03:41:32 pm »

Even though graphics modding is still very limited, I've been contemplating starting a Dwarf Fortress 24x24 graphics set. This time, I'll learn from the mistakes I made with DawnFortress and focus on clarity and simplicity. I'm much happier with the results this time around and things are going much faster.

Here are the basic races. Any thoughts or criticisms?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 03:43:59 pm by DragonDePlatino »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #226 on: January 01, 2015, 04:25:25 pm »

I don't need to downres to tell it's very readable, I like the colors, they're all very cute as well. :D

I completely forgot I signed up for the challenge, haha! Whoops.
Also, GUNIN, I noticed the little character on your challenge posts has lost their image.
Should be fixed now.

Also heck the challenge is over. Maybe next time I blow some cash on an actual prize. So who's the winrar?
Quote from: Nirur Torir

Quote from: zombie urist
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: BlackFlyme
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Magnumcannon

« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 04:29:45 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 01, 2015, 04:33:13 pm »

Even though graphics modding is still very limited, I've been contemplating starting a Dwarf Fortress 24x24 graphics set. This time, I'll learn from the mistakes I made with DawnFortress and focus on clarity and simplicity. I'm much happier with the results this time around and things are going much faster.

Beautiful
Just beautiful
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 01, 2015, 04:42:51 pm »

I've never used graphic sets for DF, but when this gets released i will use the fuck out of it. I really like the bright colors and everything just looks so cute!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 01, 2015, 05:01:16 pm »

My vote is for nirur.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 01, 2015, 05:18:30 pm »

Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 01, 2015, 05:19:19 pm »

Thank ye for the compliments, everyone! I put a good 6 hours into boiling the style down to it's simplest elements so I really think I'll be able to finish the graphics set this time. I've blazed through 50 sprites today and I'm pretty satisfied with how they look.

As for the contest...my vote would go to Nirur! I can tell he put a lot of hard work into his submission.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 02, 2015, 01:07:19 am »

Sorry for the double-post, but I just finished everything in birds_new.txt and I am really freakin' proud of myself. Normally my ADD would kick in and I'd go watch Game Grumps for a few hours, but I managed to focus on this and finish it.
Spoiler: Birds_New (click to show/hide)
My original plan was to recolor creatures green for their undead sprites, but then colorblind people would have difficulty telling the normal creatures apart from the undead ones. So in the end, I decided to add a skull icon to the undead creatures. I also used arrows to represent giant creatures and combined the two for giant undead creatures.

So...Does this system work? Should I change the icons? I'll be using this system for the rest of my sprites so I need to be sure before I continue. Oh, and I promise this is the last time I'll be posting sprites from this graphics set in this topic. I don't want to clutter it up so if I make more progress, I'll start my own topic in the modding subforum. By the way, any name suggestions for this graphics set?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 01:10:22 am by DragonDePlatino »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 02, 2015, 01:17:01 am »

Sorry for the double-post, but I just finished everything in birds_new.txt and I am really freakin' proud of myself. Normally my ADD would kick in and I'd go watch Game Grumps for a few hours, but I managed to focus on this and finish it.
Spoiler: Birds_New (click to show/hide)
My original plan was to recolor creatures green for their undead sprites, but then colorblind people would have difficulty telling the normal creatures apart from the undead ones. So in the end, I decided to add a skull icon to the undead creatures. I also used arrows to represent giant creatures and combined the two for giant undead creatures.

So...Does this system work? Should I change the icons? I'll be using this system for the rest of my sprites so I need to be sure before I continue. Oh, and I promise this is the last time I'll be posting sprites from this graphics set in this topic. I don't want to clutter it up so if I make more progress, I'll start my own topic in the modding subforum. By the way, any name suggestions for this graphics set?

I like it. I would totaly get that graphics set

One question, will you also be doing graphics for the little critters and plants and all? (Sorry if that's a dumb question, I've never used a graphics set before)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #234 on: January 02, 2015, 01:22:29 am »

-snip-
If you want to ask questions about DF you should really really make a thread in DF Modding or revive your old one, cause: "Does this system work? Should I change the icons?" Heck I dunno. I don't play enough to be able to have a real opinion about that sort of thing, you'd get much more useful info more frequently out of the dudes who hang around the upper boards. All I know is the sprites look good (assigning them all is probably going to suck), but as for how well they'd work in the game you'd have to ask the people who play it every day.

A nice way I've seen bulky overlay icons handled just in general is to make them flash slowly but I don't know if that's within the capabilities of modding or how you might handle that.

As for posting your tiles and updates on this thread I encourage it, I'd love to see your progress, but it may be weird posting the same stuff twice if you do end up making a new thread.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 02, 2015, 02:24:24 am »

I like it. I would totaly get that graphics set

One question, will you also be doing graphics for the little critters and plants and all? (Sorry if that's a dumb question, I've never used a graphics set before)

Plants are not currently changeable, but if I end up finishing all of the creatures I'll be adding plants, map icons, tools, etc even though they aren't currently changeable. But why? A while ago, a user called mifki released a dfhack plugin called Text Will Be Text. This allowed artists to add custom graphics to buildings, but the problem was that there weren't any graphics to use for this. Meph ended up having to scrape together his own buildings using graphics throughout the web. So in case something like this ever happens again, I'll be drawing graphics for things that might be getting future support.

If you want to ask questions about DF you should really really make a thread in DF Modding or revive your old one, cause: "Does this system work? Should I change the icons?" Heck I dunno.

Well, that's a shame...I don't play a lot of DF myself (learning cuuuuurve!), so I figured some people here could give me an opinion. But what about a name? Any ideas for that? As for the flashing, I'm pretty sure DF doesn't have support for that yet. But thanks for the compliment! Most likely I'll be putting up a thread once I make some good progress.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #236 on: January 02, 2015, 02:34:30 am »

Well, that's a shame...I don't play a lot of DF myself (learning cuuuuurve!), so I figured some people here could give me an opinion.
Not that many people in the lower boards play DF (okay maybe that's not true), I mean there's still plenty of peoples here who play it and play it often, but if you want advice, specifically about DF, naturally you should go to the upper boards, the part of the forums specifically dedicated to DF. :P

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 02, 2015, 01:52:38 pm »

Ya I have no idea how the graphics stuff works. I'm still running 100% vanilla, not even personal moddig because I'm too dumb to figure it out  :P .
I was asking because if everything in game looked like that I would be entirely fine with it.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 02, 2015, 02:03:29 pm »

You're never too dumb to figure something out. If you put enough effort into anything, you'll master it.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 04, 2015, 08:13:28 pm »

Did I win the December challenge? If so, I propose this challenge for January:

A party of three adventurers. They must share the same palette consisting of 15 colors (plus transparency or single-color background). Preferred size is 80x80 per adventurer.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 48