Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Military combat completely broken  (Read 11472 times)

noushi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military combat completely broken
« on: October 05, 2014, 12:14:54 pm »

So, does anyone actually play dwarf mode anymore?

I've now experienced numerous sieges where manually stationed squads just stand their ground and let the enemy beat the crap out of them. I move either ranged or melee squads into the path of an oncoming siege and they won't fight back at all. Sometimes they'll eventually snap out of it and fight back, but it's very rare. If they're stationed as part of their squad's orders they'll correctly attack enemies they see, but otherwise they're complete pacifists.  This makes my archers completely worthless when attempting to defend a fortress under siege, unless I screw around with their squad's schedule to force them all into service to be stationed or patrol somewhere.  Even switching their orders from Station to Attack doesn't do anything useful.  Again, only sometimes can I make them fight be completely cancelling their Station orders, let some time pass, and then tell the squad to attack an enemy will they actually fight.

This has essentially made the game unplayable for me.  It's ok when the sieges are five or ten guys, but once you get 50 goblins/trolls attacking, it's so cumbersome that it's untenable.

Some examples of this behavior are at:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8394

Note, this has been experienced from version 40.08 through 40.13.

Given how I've experienced this on four different forts and with 100% reproduction, it again makes me ask: are people just not playing fort mode?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 12:16:30 pm by noushi »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Military combat completely broken
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 12:24:35 pm »

Nope. I've never experienced this, and I'm constantly fighting sieges.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 01:05:46 pm »

I've had two sieges and it hasn't happened to be yet. weird.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 02:00:00 pm »

Yeah, I haven't seen this either and I've gotten myself in a fair bit of fort mode trouble. In fact I've had the exact opposite problem with stationed dwarves aggroing too easily, but that's always been the case.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 02:35:58 pm »

Yeah I also haven't run into this. My military spent a whole season hunting troglodytes in the caverns, when all they were told to do was stand at the entrance.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 02:46:37 pm »

I've seen this a couple of times. Re-issuing the Station order worked for me, though.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 03:19:22 pm »

My biggest issue is having the enemy actually fight back. Had some GCS kill a random farmer, it got a name and became completely passive. Didn't even try to put up a fight.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 03:22:15 pm »

I haven't seen this either, EXCEPT with not targeting aggressive wild creatures.

Do you play vanilla, or do you run with some mods?  If you're using a mod, you may want to force creatures_standard.txt and entity_default.txt back to vanilla.  It's possible one of the wildlife tokens has made it onto your goblins or onto their civilization raws and is making your dwarves detect them as wild animals rather than hostile creatures.  I've noticed that no matter how hostile some creatures are by nature, soldiers will ignore them unless being personally assaulted.  In fact, they'll happily stand there and watch somebody else get mauled.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 04:58:52 pm by Tacomagic »

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 04:42:31 pm »

No, nobody plays dwarf mode. We all just sit around making a couple dozen posts in the dwarf mode forum every day, but don't ever actually play it.

I've seen a few people report this sort of problem, but it seems like most people don't encounter it. I've never seen it happen, myself. Can you upload a save to dffd so someone can take a look and see if there is something about your game that is different than most of us are experiencing?

Keith                                     
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

noushi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 06:02:47 pm »

Well, I know dozens of people who talk about football non-stop yet haven't played in years. ;)

No, I use no mods, and haven't manually modified any raws.  I've used DFHack, but only sparingly, to create some seeds or to tweak an item.  And maybe a touch of magma.

Using a ruby script I whipped together, I've observed the behavior of the troops in their squads, and I never see them gain an enemy (unit->opponent), or generate attack actions (unit->actions->[n]->type == 1(Attack)).

I don't know enough about how stationing orders work undercovers to know where to look for any diagnostic information otherwise. 

Two different scenarios at different forts can be seen in savegames at my link in the original post.

noushi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 06:05:22 pm »

It does, however, make me feel hopeful to know that other people aren't having this problem.  Now to just figure out the whats and whys of how I'm doing it wrong.

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 06:11:27 pm »

I had this bug some time ago, I was dealing with goblin bandits and my dwarves just stood next to enemy archers. Luckily they were legendary dodgers and shit so no one was actually hurt. My second squad came and dealt with those pests.

Otherwise I haven't seen that to happen again, my archers stationed in their towers open fire normally and so on. So only once infantry squad bugged.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 07:11:58 pm »

No, nobody plays dwarf mode. We all just sit around making a couple dozen posts in the dwarf mode forum every day, but don't ever actually play it.

Yup. I, too, am affected by unique bugs experienced by someone else entirely. I haven't been able to play fortress mode in ages! Despite personally not encountering the bug mentioned in the OP, I refuse to play in honor of his own inability.

Such atrocities may come to pass, or may not - I only hope to bring momentary justice to those affected.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 08:02:05 pm »

Drives me insane that, when issuing a station order to a single dwarf, they almost never stand in the actual tile you told them to go to :| Like Toady made their order-following a bit scattershot in hopes of burning loads of FUN :(

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2014, 09:12:17 pm »

I've had them stand around for a long while after issuing a kill order but that was solved by Stationing then re-ordering them.
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5