Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange dwarven baby without parents  (Read 2881 times)

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange dwarven baby without parents
« on: January 03, 2015, 04:02:23 am »

Hi all!

With some migrant wave in my fortress came dwarven baby without parents. Is it ok? If not, is it a well-known bug?

Thanks in advance.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Strange dwarven baby without parents
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 04:29:16 am »

It happens. Usually it's only one missing parent. It's even more likely if your world is young. Perhaps no one knows who this kid is, like Mowgli of the Jungle Books fame. I had one with no parents. His name was Demoncrawled, and he was a while back now. He arrived as a month old migrant, with no family, and before he was a year old he'd already killed a werebeast (by crawling around the trappy area of the map on the surface and refusing to go indoors with everyone else, he sort of caused the werebeast to get hit by enough traps to kill it, without getting bitten himself). He was my little champion.

Currenly, I know the parent of my Child of the Fort. She's the sodding Outpost Liaison from the Mountainhomes, and she dropped her baby and left a few years back. Mum returns every year to liaise, but ignores her daughter.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 05:40:03 am »

Can I do smth with him?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 06:00:08 am »

(...No matter how many times I see that acronym, I still somehow interpret it as a.... four letter word.)

Yes. You can do all sorts of somethings with him. I did all sorts of things with mine, as you saw. He's just a perfectly normal dwarf child.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 06:16:11 am »

I asked that because this is dwarven baby, not child and I thought that he can't drink and eat by himself. Am I wrong?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 06:32:15 am »

Unless he's totally inaccessible, the adults will feed and water him automatically, even though he's not theirs. But only if they have access to buckets. When he's old enough to be a child, he can help himself to food and drink, and will. So he's on a water diet until he reaches child status, but he's not going to die unless you have no water on the map. I have several clear fresh aquifer-fed wells, and a bucket stockpile in the Hospital, so there was no difficulty in getting Momuz water. When little Momuz was a baby, a lot of people told me to murder her if she went near the booze, but I have more than several years of booze stockpiled, so it doesn't bother me what she drinks.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 06:59:19 am »

Demoncrawled ? Looks more like a gobbo name, unless you modded your dwarves's names.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 01:48:46 pm »

It's a translation. I forget the dwarvish for it, but I loved that a kid who arrived parentless from a migration wave was called "demoncrawled" automatically. I don't even remember his first name, just the translation "demoncrawled" of his second name. It fitted, and I didn't give it to him.

I'm playing vanilla, and I don't bother nicknaming my dorfs all that often... Not unless they do something really unique.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 04:29:16 pm »

Hey Em1LL, i dont mean to sound mean, but you have made 13 threads in 1 day, you should probably just make 1 questions thread :P
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 06:27:19 pm »

It's a translation. I forget the dwarvish for it, but I loved that a kid who arrived parentless from a migration wave was called "demoncrawled" automatically. I don't even remember his first name, just the translation "demoncrawled" of his second name. It fitted, and I didn't give it to him.

I'm playing vanilla, and I don't bother nicknaming my dorfs all that often... Not unless they do something really unique.

Even so, a vanilla dwarf shouldn't have a name like "demoncrawled". Vanilla dwarves have names out of the Artifice and Earth word lists, that looks more like a dwarf that has a name out of the Evil and Negative/Negator word lists, a.k.a. a goblin name.

Unless you modded your entity_default.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 06:38:20 pm »

Even so, a vanilla dwarf shouldn't have a name like "demoncrawled". Vanilla dwarves have names out of the Artifice and Earth word lists, that looks more like a dwarf that has a name out of the Evil and Negative/Negator word lists, a.k.a. a goblin name.
Unless you modded your entity_default.

....I guess it was a one in a million chance, then. I download the versions from the main site, not from other people, and I don't bother modding names at all. The closest I get to naming or changing names at ALL was when I named a dwarf I was suspicious of being vampiric "Mysterious" and had some screamingly funny wall engravings done by "The Mysterious".

Here's a possibility: No one knew where he came from. Is it possible he escaped a goblin baby snatcher or something? He arrived totally unharmed/unhurt, but he had no family and all his acquaintances were at the fort. It was a long while ago, though, so I just don't really keep good enough records to know for sure.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 07:19:24 am »

Dwarven civilizations interact with goblin civilizations. Sometimes in such a way that you end up with goblins making up the vast majority of your civilization's nobility. Sometimes in such ways that the goblin civilization seems to consist mostly of dwarves.

I one time had a world where both happened, which was looking rather odd in the legends mode of that world.

Anyway, when such intermingling happens, dwarves and goblins often adopt the name pattern of the other species. An "Urist Demonclaw" wouldn't surprise me under such circumstances.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.