Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Military combat completely broken  (Read 11459 times)

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military combat completely broken
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2014, 01:32:02 pm »

It's weird the different ways this bug happens/is solved.

I've had this bug multiple times but every time a kill order to the squad got them moving/killing.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2014, 04:41:31 pm »

It's weird the different ways this bug happens/is solved.

That's because there are multiple different bugs being talked about in this thread:

1.) Dwarves move right next to enemies then fail to attack (8250, 8367, 8436, 8434, 8364, 8394, 8288)

2.) Dwarves who have killed an enemy don't always clear their orders immediately (929, 8336)

3.) Hostile creatures tend to be less-than-hostile, especially if they become historical figures (8387, 7369)

While all of those might fall under the heading "military combat completely broken", lumping them all together is not a very effective way of collecting information.

In my experience, problem 1 arises when enemies transition z-levels. I experienced it repeatedly, then I adjusted my combat strategy to attack the invaders on level terrain before they reached my fortress and I haven't seen it since. If that is the case, people playing on flat maps may never see the bug, while people who select mountainous embarks may experience it constantly.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2014, 09:45:32 pm »

I think I haven't seen this since I've got a raised section that the military train on with fortifications around it that is one level above the magma flooding zones welcoming though oddly warm ground leading to the main staircases into the fort, and I don't really need to issue a kill order, simply having them training there or stationing them there if the second squad is active in the training cycle will work. They rush out and start murdering happily once stuff gets within visible range, so most of the combat happens on flat ground or the stairs.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2014, 03:49:43 pm »

I always stick my barracks in the entry zones or places that make good defense points, so I wouldn't see this sort of thing happen. It's entirely possible to set more than one training squad on the same barracks, so you don't necessarily need to even use stationing orders as long as you can cut down on entries to the Fortress.

Marble Balalaika

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2014, 07:22:17 pm »

Have a same trouble. My military dont atack enemy. Got seweral experiments on approaching Forgotten Beast. And noticed a strange thing:
A problem seems to appear while many soldiers(30 or more) gathered in the same plase.
Then I move 1 or 2 squads(10-20 soldiers) against FB - my soldiers atacks and defeat FB properly. even through "move" order
But if I move 3 or more squads - they became absolutely harmless and die one by one.
Before that experiments i thought that "station" command is a reason. Because then i told my militia to "kill" without "move" order - they approached the enemy in small numbers at a time and atacked properly in most cases. But if they gathered in big numbers near the enemy they became harmless again. A command "station" is just lead to this situation.
did anybody else noticed this thing?
P.S. sorry for my english

Marble Balalaika

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2014, 07:27:46 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8367
I think, it is a same bug. Militia atacks only after a few number of dorf died. So, they number decreased to appropreate level and bugging stopped
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 07:43:38 pm by Marble Balalaika »

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2014, 07:14:39 pm »

I have a situation where I lose all my soldiers to this bug if I dont reload "save". My 30 elites against 70 enemies, it should be a piece of cake.

No one attacks the enemy, they just stand there until they fall asleep and then they're butchered. This is the no 1 game breaking bug I have encountered so far.

Moving them around wont help.
No civilian alert / civilian alert = no effect
Kill order = no effect

Really frustrating.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 07:16:18 pm by Kuikka »

kaen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2014, 05:05:33 pm »

Just another "me too" post. Came back after almost two years of not playing DF to find my 40 legendary steel-clad warriors won't attack invaders, titans, or forgotten beasts. They will run up to seen enemies, stand directly next to them, and block/dodge when attacked. But not a single offensive log entry can be found. Like others, saving/reloading and cancelling/reissuing the orders sometimes fixes the situation, but it is very sporadic.

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2014, 03:59:26 am »

I can only recommend to save every time you get attacked. If your militia refuses to fight back: reload... -.-
Just kids...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2014, 05:10:23 am »

I can only recommend to save every time you get attacked. If your militia refuses to fight back: reload... -.-
This didnt work in my case :( I only had one miracle when one soldier started to kill as ordered while rest just watched.

And then they dare to whine about "I was attacked, how horrifying...."

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2014, 06:54:04 am »

I've yet to encounter this bug, but I keep my military small (generally two squads).

kaen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2014, 12:36:44 pm »

Just an update, I had some success with canceling the schedule for all squads (setting them to no orders for all seasons). I did this in the middle of a battle and immediately my army began attacking as normal. It was previously set to Train for all seasons. Hope this helps any other lost souls who end up here. I've only been able to test this against a single FB, will report more results as they come in.

Testing again, this seemed to have no effect. Still no reproducible fix.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 04:10:59 pm by kaen »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2014, 12:55:49 pm »

I've yet to encounter this bug, but I keep my military small (generally two squads).
Well, if you keep your army small it's okay, but things escalate quickly for me, my military peaks at 150 - 200 dwarves. My population at 300 - 400.
Yes, FPS is an issue.
In a time before time, I had a name.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2014, 08:02:15 pm »

I've got something simular to this in adventure mode, one of my companions pretty much ignores gobos when I'm fighting them. he goes out of the way to kill vultures though.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2014, 03:32:53 pm »

yes it is.

Had a ten-goblin siege. Including a lasher.

My less-skilled melee squad got REK'd by the goblins (at least they killed some of them), and then my legendary war miners squad (yes, picks are awesome) failed to attack them goblins repeatedly.

Station orders, kill orders, canceling and refreshing orders, saving and loading didn't do anything.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5