Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: LC's Terrible Weapons Pack - 0.3  (Read 18548 times)

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
LC's Terrible Weapons Pack - 0.3
« on: October 05, 2014, 08:48:23 pm »

Ladies and gentledwarves, hammerers and alchimists, giant tick men and cave sparrows, I present to you- a whole cartload of destructive, graceless, gruesome rubbish.
Spoiler: Pics (click to show/hide)
While pondering a crafting mod that may or may not be under way, I started outlining a low-grade, shit-quality, crank-outable class of weaponry, and that sub-project got of course totally derailed. Inspired by this blog post (although I didn't dare to emulate/ape the best part: the relentless, uninhibited morpheme-play), the general Dung Age trend in fantasy literature (and games and illustrations) and some hot days spent digging potatotes, I created:
  • 42 terrible, terrible melee weapons, mostly repurposed farming tools and stuff with too many nails in it
  • 42 itool clones of said weaponry for adventure mode civilians' use
  • Nothing else!(for now‼)
Are you sick of carving knives? Do you need invaders with an enraged-mob/pillaging-peasants/underprepared-zealots motif? Do you want to cripple kobold military power even further? Do you want to play simple, honest, merciless hillbillydwarves? Does your own mod just need more weapons in general? More, more, ever more weapons? Enough weapons to give tetanus to the sun? If you started salivating at any of my rhetoric questions, take a look at this mod, please.

This isn't efficient battlefield weaponry. This isn't sublime duelling weaponry. Most of these shoddy weapons have little penetration capability, are unwieldy and slow and messy and as unbalanced as their stats- but they do rend flesh, break bones and sever limbs from the still living. They are supposed to be inferior to even the vanilla weapons, and if one is consistently more powerful than its canon counterpart, tell me so I can break it. I did powertest them (powertesting is what I call lazy arena macroing while clutching a glass of your favourite intoxicating beverage) so I hope all or most or some of them work as intented.

Still, if you think something needs rebalancing(brazenly implying there was a balance in the first place) or find one of the various typos I made, tell me and I'll do something, like go to the store and buy some milk- then fix and reupload this mod with a new version number. And a honorable mention of your contribution.

How to install:
-GET IT HERE
-Maybe backup your raws, just in case
-Put the item_weapon_terrible.text in your raw/objects folder
-Put the item_tool_terrible.text in your raw/objects folder
-Open the entity file of the civilisation you want to give this hideous bestowment to, usually entity_default.txt.
-Search for its entry, e.g. [ENTITY:PLAINS] for humans
-If you want to give their soldiers Terrible Weapons, add this to their entry, preferrably under their other weaponry:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
-If you also/instead want to give their civilians Terrible Weapons for self-defense, add this to their entry, preferrably under their other tools:
-feel free to omit weapons/tools you don't like from this list(s)
-gen a new world
-feel free to pester me when it doesn't work

Things to do before I can slap a v1.0 on it:

Please send feedback, flowers and milk powder. Suggestions, requests and nagging welcome.
Otherwise- Enjoy!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 08:25:44 am by Liber celi »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: LC's Terrible Weapons Pack - NEW
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 01:05:02 am »

Sounds perfect for a animalman-civ. Maybe some more stone-age weaponry in addition to the farming and hunting tools?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 02:26:04 pm »

Can I include this in my WIP mod?
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 08:35:05 pm »

Of course you can! Purely out of interest, what kind of civ do you plan to equip with those weapons?

Sounds perfect for a animalman-civ. Maybe some more stone-age weaponry in addition to the farming and hunting tools?
I've made some neolithic gear, but I want to take another look at it before I upload it...

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 09:46:23 pm »

Of course you can! Purely out of interest, what kind of civ do you plan to equip with those weapons?

I've made some neolithic gear, but I want to take another look at it before I upload it...
Well, obviously not an kind of useful civ :P

Right now, I'm thinking that my fish-men (Piscesi, must get a better name) can have some as tools. Most, however will go to general useless civs - right now, the pathetically fighting Testificates (based entirely of Minecraft,  not part of the mod proper.)
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 02:51:33 am »

i love this mod. all mods bring flash equipment, metals and such to make your foes cry, but this one covers an area not many have bothered (or thought) to mod before. keep up the good work :)

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 07:18:33 pm »

Did you know that

[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]

is as fast as a punch (see: creature_standard.txt:line 209)?

Did you also know that most (probably all) weapon mods tend to just roll with the vanilla way of terrible default values? (Swinging a big axe is probably not as fast as a quick jab.)

Did you also know that just about all of these weapons are either as fast or faster than a punch?

did you also know that doing something about this was attempted like once and never seen again
(yes i am mad)

oh_no

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 03:53:08 am »

uh that's not like this at all...

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 10:54:17 pm »

The old ones also died because this version is still too broken for serious modding, especially for adventure mode. I had a mod in the works but the jankyness of almost everything, even in vanilla, made me trash it.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 11:02:27 pm »

The old ones also died because this version is still too broken for serious modding, especially for adventure mode. I had a mod in the works but the jankyness of almost everything, even in vanilla, made me trash it.

No, it's pretty damn stable now.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

oh_no

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 11:18:02 pm »

No, it's pretty damn stable now.
Stability is not what I'm talking about, and that is also incorrect anyways as the bugtracker can show.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 11:21:37 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8239
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7839
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2115
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=144590
(among many, many others)
well sure it doesn't crash but that's not saying all that much about how playable it is

That third bug has been around since 0.31.04, as it says. In fact, adventure mode was still pretty bad all through 0.34, and the morale issues can be quickly fixed with raw modding (add [NATURAL_SKILL:DISCIPLINE:15] to megabeasts and semimegabeasts)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 12:07:04 am »

Terrible Weapons, eh?  Time to downgrade those hummies, bwah ha ha!
Might even create a "peasant" civilization: Essentially humans but armed solely with the Terrible Weapons rather than nice ones.

You also need to create: LC's Terrible Armor Pack
I'd love a mod that had a ton of makeshift armor types.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 10:06:11 am »

You also need to create: LC's Terrible Armor Pack
I'd love a mod that had a ton of makeshift armor types.
Dwarf 3 slashes Elf 2 in the lower body with his rope full of steel nails, but the attack is deflected by Elf2's dinner plate!
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: [1] 2