Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Why Dwarf Fortress is superior to Minecraft  (Read 11325 times)

Drewigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why Dwarf Fortress is superior to Minecraft
« on: October 05, 2014, 10:00:34 pm »

1.You don't need experience for Minecraft.
You just pick up whatever you have and just play it, Dwarf Fortress, on the other hand, requires patience. Rushing through the game is absolute suicide, you have to play the game carefully, like being polite and not being a glutton when it comes to the masterwork wedding cake.
2.Minecraft forums are chaos incarnate.
I saw the Minecraft forums back when I played it, trust me, It was like an internet tantrum spirals and loyalty cascades (By that I mean 7 year olds screaming vulgarities and flame wars en masse.).
3.Your floating island is stupid, get used to it.
Minecrafts constructions are, in  my opinion, inferior, you can do cool stuff with blocks, but they lack the awesomeness of Dwarf Fortress.
4. Your "hardcore" mode is easy.
I hate how easy hardcore mode is, while sleeping heals in adventurer mode, you can run into horrible things like an ambush with a giant lion (from experiences, they will maul you early on.) minecraft? just hide and heal, placing torches makes the bad things go away. Dwarf fortress is not easy,, the night WILL MURDER YOU.
5.Minecraft is pricey.
It costs around 20.00 just to play the experience that Dwarf Fortress does.

Now, I'm not saying Minecraft is a bad game nor am I attacking it (I play it with friends when I'm lonely.), it's just that it dosen't have the feeling that Dwarf Fortress has.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:09:31 am by Drewigi »
Strike the earth!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Why Dwarf Fortress is superior to Minecraft
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 10:23:02 pm »

You can't compare Minecraft to Dwarf Fortress..

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 11:07:16 pm »

Sure you can! One's a survival sandbox, and the other's a roguelike/management sim. They're pretty much indistinguishable.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 11:08:52 pm »

You can't compare Minecraft to Dwarf Fortress..
Depends what you're after. If you're into crafting and shaping worlds or megaprojects or the whole survival experience thing you can definitely compare the two. Not that I think threads like this are massively helpful.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 11:12:57 pm »

1. subjective advantage
2. results of being the third largest game on earth with a userbase primarily made up of children
3. subjective advantage
4. no, I actually disagree with this; you lose the entire world with Minecraft, while in DF you just lose some people and keep the world (thus "losing is fun")
5. no comment

Here's a couple advantages for Minecraft:

1. You don't need experience for Minecraft.
You just pick up whatever you have and play it. There are mods available that require more investment and experience, and the gap between uncreative/unskilled and creative/skilled people is gigantic, but anyone can play and enjoy and appreciate the difficulty inherent in some of the crazier stuff.
2. Minecraft modding is far more open.
Simply, Minecraft is more moddable. Dwarf Fortress does not have anything even remotely resembling programming. Interactions are turing complete, but as a system it's harder to use than brainfuck and nearly impossible to actually get output that's really meaningful to people. Minecraft uses Java, a fairly popular programming language that you can write whatever in, and it has wonderfully skilled programmers working to make it even easier for you.

Drewigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 11:29:04 pm »

1. subjective advantage
2. results of being the third largest game on earth with a userbase primarily made up of children
3. subjective advantage
4. no, I actually disagree with this; you lose the entire world with Minecraft, while in DF you just lose some people and keep the world (thus "losing is fun")
5. no comment

Here's a couple advantages for Minecraft:

1. You don't need experience for Minecraft.
You just pick up whatever you have and play it. There are mods available that require more investment and experience, and the gap between uncreative/unskilled and creative/skilled people is gigantic, but anyone can play and enjoy and appreciate the difficulty inherent in some of the crazier stuff.
2. Minecraft modding is far more open.
Simply, Minecraft is more moddable. Dwarf Fortress does not have anything even remotely resembling programming. Interactions are turing complete, but as a system it's harder to use than brainfuck and nearly impossible to actually get output that's really meaningful to people. Minecraft uses Java, a fairly popular programming language that you can write whatever in, and it has wonderfully skilled programmers working to make it even easier for you.
You actually make a pretty good point. I like it mainly for playing with friends. However, dwarf fortress is still, in my opinion, superior.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 11:30:47 pm by Drewigi »
Strike the earth!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 11:36:36 pm »

1: Please, unless you're just some kid running around with your fist in your mouth, you definitely need patience and experience for Minecraft. Please, go tell Captain Sparkles, the team at Smosh, and Pewdiepie how any six year old can do everything they've done, because you don't need experience for Minecraft. Tell the people who built Moria and Minas Tirith and massive cruisers from Star Wars that they needed no experience to do that. Or the fully automatic, self repairing castle designs. Yes, any six year old could do that.

2: And we're the most normal people in the world? Any forum full of kids will be off a bit, but you just have to find the right thread for a similar experience to here. And please, we are probably more insane than them. It's one of the reasons I love this forum.

3: http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/recreation-of-godcrafts-moria-v3/
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/osgiliath---ancient-capital-of-gondor/
I'm never going to see something like this from Dwarf Fortress. Please, tell me how those are not awesome? Minecract incredibly trumps Dwarf Fortress in building, and I actually prefer Dwarf Fortress. It's pretty much a fact though that Minecraft trumps Dwarf Fortress. Unless, you like flat.

4: So you take the easy way out. Not everyone does. Try not putting yourself in a hole that's lit up. Actually fight out on a mountainside all night. It's easy because you make it easy.

5: And we'll be paying 20$ in the future, once it hits version 1.0.0. Do you expect Toady to be giving the game away for free forever? There was a massive amount of time when Minecraft was free.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 12:41:53 am »

Oh, yeah, and you can only build in a fairly small area in DF.

5: And we'll be paying 20$ in the future, once it hits version 1.0.0. Do you expect Toady to be giving the game away for free forever?

That's a completely unreasonable thing to say unless you actually know the plans involved.

Drewigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 01:06:08 am »

1: Please, unless you're just some kid running around with your fist in your mouth, you definitely need patience and experience for Minecraft. Please, go tell Captain Sparkles, the team at Smosh, and Pewdiepie how any six year old can do everything they've done, because you don't need experience for Minecraft. Tell the people who built Moria and Minas Tirith and massive cruisers from Star Wars that they needed no experience to do that. Or the fully automatic, self repairing castle designs. Yes, any six year old could do that.

2: And we're the most normal people in the world? Any forum full of kids will be off a bit, but you just have to find the right thread for a similar experience to here. And please, we are probably more insane than them. It's one of the reasons I love this forum.

3: http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/recreation-of-godcrafts-moria-v3/
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/osgiliath---ancient-capital-of-gondor/
I'm never going to see something like this from Dwarf Fortress. Please, tell me how those are not awesome? Minecract incredibly trumps Dwarf Fortress in building, and I actually prefer Dwarf Fortress. It's pretty much a fact though that Minecraft trumps Dwarf Fortress. Unless, you like flat.

4: So you take the easy way out. Not everyone does. Try not putting yourself in a hole that's lit up. Actually fight out on a mountainside all night. It's easy because you make it easy.

5: And we'll be paying 20$ in the future, once it hits version 1.0.0. Do you expect Toady to be giving the game away for free forever? There was a massive amount of time when Minecraft was free.
for number 1, I was referring how you can easily play minecraft, I like the difficulty in games, for 4 I was referring to how you can easily beat hardcore by using strategies that render the whole game tedious. I don't want to start another flame war, and yes, I was being an asshole. Although I never said sanity was involved in 2, and number five is something I don't understand, not all games turn into a paid game.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:08:35 am by Drewigi »
Strike the earth!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 02:22:49 am »

Do you expect Toady to be giving the game away for free forever?
Yes, actually.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 04:10:34 am »

Minecraft uses Java...
That's not necessarily an advantage.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 09:55:04 am »

Is there going to be a circlejerk or not? I don't have all day, you know.

Comparing DF and Minecraft is like comparing Bach and noise to find out which is in an absolute sense superior. That doesn't even include the obvious bias you have. People need to stop comparing DF to other games and trying to circlejerk about how DF is so much better and everybody else is an uneducated barbarian skrub.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 10:07:42 am »

this thread is so upper boards

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 10:08:38 am »

Is there going to be a circlejerk or not? I don't have all day, you know.

Comparing DF and Minecraft is like comparing Bach and noise to find out which is in an absolute sense superior. That doesn't even include the obvious bias you have. People need to stop comparing DF to other games and trying to circlejerk about how DF is so much better and everybody else is an uneducated barbarian skrub.

Agreed, stuff like this is the reason why the DF community doesn't have a stellar reputation.

As I've heard it said before: "How do you know if someone plays Dwarf Fortress? They'll tell you."
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 10:12:15 am »

Comparing DF and Minecraft is like comparing Bach and noise to find out which is in an absolute sense superior.
This is kind of what I was trying to say above, I think it's weird to compare DF and Minecraft as if they're anything alike.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6