Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Why Dwarf Fortress is superior to Minecraft  (Read 11323 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Why Dwarf Fortress is superior to Minecraft
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2014, 06:42:05 pm »

So your basing the entire fan base off of a few kids? I've met one person under 16 who watches Yogscast.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Kingbodz

• Bay Watcher
  • a bayonet wielded by the hand of God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2014, 06:46:28 pm »

So your basing the entire fan base off of a few kids? I've met one person under 16 who watches Yogscast.
I'm not bashing all Yognaughts (as I still watch some of the Yogs. Mainly sips and the hat gang.) But the majority of the fanbase I've seen on Youtube and IRL is fanbois under 16. The only ones I know of that are 16 and above are on the subreddit.
Known as Redblaze3000 on BYOND

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2014, 06:50:46 pm »

Weird.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2014, 09:30:57 pm »

The Yogscast fanbase seems fairly reasonable, if young and emotional. Then again, I really only watch Hannah's stuff these days. In any event, you probably shouldn't be running aroung telling people your youtubers are better than theirs. :P

Kingbodz

• Bay Watcher
  • a bayonet wielded by the hand of God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2014, 10:09:14 pm »

Let's get back on topic shall we? Minecraft is better than DF in one way. Multiplayer. You can play with friends. That's it. Survival is too easy and hardcore is a joke. Sure you can build stuff in 3D but in DF you can control the world. Also I can kill dragons with a giants corpse. I don't you can do that in Minecraft.
Known as Redblaze3000 on BYOND

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2014, 10:19:22 pm »

You can control the world almost as accurately in Minecraft too. Even have lava oceans.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2014, 03:18:33 am »

This is a stupid argument. It's pointless to debate which one is "better". They're very different games which are good for different things. It's not like Forza vs Gran Turismo.
"Are you there, gods? It's me, Mistêm."
Quote from: Boatmurdered
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2014, 07:08:54 am »

Let's get back on topic shall we? Minecraft is better than DF in one way. Multiplayer. You can play with friends. That's it. Survival is too easy and hardcore is a joke. Sure you can build stuff in 3D but in DF you can control the world. Also I can kill dragons with a giants corpse. I don't you can do that in Minecraft.
Do I have to quote my rant again or did you miss it the first time?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2014, 07:38:35 am »

Just saying something that someone doesn't agree with wont do anything to convince them. If I sat here all day, saying "You don't play Dwarf Fortress." would that make you think you don't?

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2014, 07:42:24 am »

I like both. DF, I find more amusing at the moment. They're different games entirely, I don't really know why you'd compare them.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2014, 07:49:11 am »

2. Minecraft modding is far more open.
Simply, Minecraft is more moddable. Dwarf Fortress does not have anything even remotely resembling programming. Interactions are turing complete, but as a system it's harder to use than brainfuck and nearly impossible to actually get output that's really meaningful to people. Minecraft uses Java, a fairly popular programming language that you can write whatever in, and it has wonderfully skilled programmers working to make it even easier for you.

This is really only because it's much easier to decompile Java bytecode back into Java (even if it's obfuscated) than it is to decompile machine code back into C++.
This is actually very true. Mojang promised a modding API so many times but they never delivered.

Minecraft is fun and it's a pretty good game, but the management on it is atrocious. Mojang's management is what happens when you give an unskilled amateur millions of dollars and tell him to head a studio. It's the sort of mess Toady has said he wants to avoid (not Minecraft specifically, but team work on a project). And the programmers who work on Minecraft are either average (at best), or stuck having to interface with bad legacy code from solo Notch days. If you think development is slow with Dwarf Fortress, Minecraft takes months for cosmetic changes like multicolored blocks.

You can argue the developer-side benefits of Java over C++ any day, and I'd probably agree with you on all counts (though both are antiquated and should not be treated as the standards of programming languages they are in so much of the industry). However, even the secondhand knowledge we, as potential fans of both games, have into either's development shows very clearly that as far as actual software creation and programming goes, Toady One is leagues ahead of the Minecraft team.

We should have more threads arguing the meta of Minecraft vs Dwarf Fortress. The "which game would be most likely to make a modern computer scientist cry" competition.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2014, 02:17:00 pm »

Just saying something that someone doesn't agree with wont do anything to convince them. If I sat here all day, saying "You don't play Dwarf Fortress." would that make you think you don't?
There is a difference between facts and opinions.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2014, 03:29:52 pm »

How do you determine which is which?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2014, 05:44:59 pm »

Any "fact" can be disproven falsely. Really, that "rant" wasn't a rant, it was an average response, and it was completely your opinion.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2014, 05:56:27 pm »

It's not a fact if it can be disproved, silly.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6