Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Why Dwarf Fortress is superior to Minecraft  (Read 11326 times)

starscream

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why Dwarf Fortress is superior to Minecraft
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2014, 03:12:48 pm »

while i agree with the premise of the thread, i don't really agree with the reasons.

i played minecraft on and off for over a year before even knowing df existed.
the reason df is better than mc is because df is a better game.  there are things to do.  mc has an absurdly large world with...nothing to do.  sure you can build a house.  a castle.  a giant penis.  then what?  boring.

df has a much smaller world, but packed with interesting things that happen.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2014, 04:04:56 pm »

Gamers aren't seen like that anymore.

Believe me, they are; even in tech among people we grew up playing video games and had Warcraft 3 benders in college. MOBAs, Xbox Live, and gamer entitlement have not helped gaming's image over the past few years... and the criticism now comes from people that have actually played plenty of video games.

Even if you disagree with that, this thread certainly doesn't help negate the stereotype that DF's community is highly elitist.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2014, 04:09:24 pm »

And taking out threads like this will do a lot less harm than letting them sit. The entire gaming culture needs to start mending internal fences, and clamping down on this stuff, or we're eventually going to wind up with a hell of a lot worse than the recent scuffles between indie devs and gaming bloggers.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2014, 04:21:13 pm »

Please do not make this about gamergate.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2014, 04:26:51 pm »

It isn't. It really isn't. But it IS about stemming the same sort of junk that eventually lead there. The elitism and the "I'm right, you're wrong, and I'm not going to let it go" mentality that also leads to "why my game is better than yours" threads. You want us to tread softly, then alright. But we can't just let these threads sit, wherever they are. I'll admit I haven't seen very many on here, but how many other sites have Dwarf Fortress subsections? Bet they're rife with this.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2014, 04:32:28 pm »

Nobody is letting this sit! It's gotten an almost entirely negative reaction. Isn't that enough?

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2014, 04:58:54 pm »

Minecraft is perfect for playing the role of a DF dwarf who has amnesia and only remembers how to use a small amount of metals and gems.. Get in touch with yer inner dwarf. Build the fort (above- or under-ground) and dig the moat, plant the garden, catch the fish, pose as mason/carpenter/engraver by constantly upgrading the quality of the fort with increasingly expensive materials, set up stockpiles filled with containers, strip mine the earth and bring home lava, collect villagers and withstand (zombie) siege, set up pens and pastures for animals, construct mega-projects and automated traps..

I can see how these comparison threads come up :> A lot of DF's elemental gameplay bits can be found (usually in much less detail) in Minecraft, and I appreciate both games a bit more for having played both.. Anyway, a more constructive, or less inflammatory, approach to these threads would be discussing playing Minecraft in the most dwarfly way possible, but I'm almost 100% positive thats already been covered here (and there), probably multiple times.. Either way, there's no need for any hostility when there could be clear neutral-to-constructive discussion :> Minecraft and DF, as one! We both crawl around in the dirt looking for shiny things and accidentally fall into lava ;) If you drop us both from a high surface, do we not bleed (or at least lose all our hearts)?! A dwarf pressed into the corner by a plethora of cats feels the same dread as a Minecrafter pressed into the corner by a swarm of sheep!

That being said.. if I had to cite three quick Minecraft complaints, though (bahahaha), they'd be: slow content growth versus graphics quality (bad assumption on my part..), low amount of weapons/armors and gems/ores, and depth of the enemy pool (in both variety and ability..) It also feels like it halfway relies on the modding community to fill in any content gaps, but thats mostly just my personal distaste for mods (specifically falling in love with a mod that gets abandoned or rarely updated).. If they'd only make a Forgotten Beast Generator mod for Minecraft..

If I had to cite three quick DF complaints, for equality (bahahaha), they'd be: framerate death, the military UI, and keas ;)

EDIT: The talk of "the gaming community" and brawls.. I don't think that'll ever end, and its always existed in one form or another.. Some devs will say terrible business-crippling things, because they're that kind of person.. And every game draws its very own fans and trolls, never just one or the other.. As for the "community" I guess I'm a splinter cell :> I will never let a bad community stop me from playing an honestly good game, and if the whole online gaming "scene" evaporated I wouldn't miss it much, and would still have good games to play :D

Good, bad, or ugly, if a dev puts out a great game at a reasonable price I'm going to play it! Just because we get "intimate" with these indie devs and end up seeing some of their ugly parts isn't really a reason to refuse to play a game, far as I go.. I probably played some original Nintendo games that were made by horrible, horrible people, but the internet wasn't there for me to access any of that.. If I found out Dahmer made Maniac Mansion I wouldn't like it any less ;) Even Hitler painted breathtaking landscape portraits, and some of those are probably still hanging and being admired today, originating artist unbeknownst to the viewer (ohmygodohmygawdhitlerreferencenooo).. If you don't care for Hitler or Dahmer, we could just say "Good games do not have to be made by good people." and be boring.. To expect them to be constantly courteous and in control of themselves is the same as expecting everyone in the world to be courteous and in control by default :>

Anyway, insanity aside, we don't live very long, all things considered (you lose a lot of time just sleeping and using the bathroom, and may Gawd save yer soul if you have an 8 hour a day job!), and any endeavor that isn't enjoyable is wasted time :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 05:38:25 pm by dwarf_reform »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2014, 06:55:53 pm »

I'll go ahead and lock this.  It is making too many people grumpy.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]