Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: <ZONES> to replace workshop buildings and room overhaul[!!LONG!!]  (Read 19268 times)

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: <ZONES> to replace workshop buildings and room overhaul[!!LONG!!]
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2014, 04:46:17 pm »

Just make sure you draw the line appropriately-forcing a fortress to start out at stone-age tech is not reasonable, sorry. You can assume that the dwarves would, as a matter of course, come supplied with basic tools.

I'd imagine basic tools would be pretty cheap when it comes to embark points.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2014, 04:54:48 pm »

I would just as soon have them come free for embark-or VERY nearly free, because they don't take up much space.
The dwarves could even carry them on their persons (People?)
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2014, 05:32:41 pm »

I would just as soon have them come free for embark-or VERY nearly free, because they don't take up much space.
The dwarves could even carry them on their persons (People?)

I guess they could come equipped if you put the skillpoints into them. But I'm not sure if they should be completely free. I'd assume there'd be a rebalance of embark points if more was needed for a basic fort so it wouldn't really be different to how it currently is.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2014, 05:45:52 pm »

Expanding on the personal areas idea, furniture items, such as beds, chests, tables, and statues, could be claimed by dwarves to be placed in their personal quarters as they please.

If there is no empty space in the room, a less valued item could be thrown out. Furniture could still be permanently built, to ensure a bedroom remains as such, but other furniture would be fair game.

Additionally, particularly greedy nobles could steal the possessions of those of lesser rank, leading to a multitude of emotions for both sides. When the economy finally gets rolling, money could change hands instead of blatant theft.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2014, 07:02:43 pm »

Expanding on the personal areas idea, furniture items, such as beds, chests, tables, and statues, could be claimed by dwarves to be placed in their personal quarters as they please.

I think the OCD players would probably want to choose the location of the various pieces of furniture. But the exact quality and material could depend on the ingame economic system.

Additionally, particularly greedy nobles could steal the possessions of those of lesser rank, leading to a multitude of emotions for both sides. When the economy finally gets rolling, money could change hands instead of blatant theft.

Why just nobles. I'd prefer it if prisons were used for actual problematic dwarves (such as those who take other dwarves possessions) than be for scapegoats for whenever a noble throws a tantrum.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2014, 08:13:39 pm »

I think the OCD players would probably want to choose the location of the various pieces of furniture. But the exact quality and material could depend on the ingame economic system.

The permanently built furniture is enough to satisfy my OCD. It would require micromanaging to upgrade those items, but that is the same way it is now.

Why just nobles. I'd prefer it if prisons were used for actual problematic dwarves (such as those who take other dwarves possessions) than be for scapegoats for whenever a noble throws a tantrum.

I guess it could be more than just nobles, however, nobles should be far more likely to steal, due to their feelings of entitlement.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Enchiridion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2014, 04:19:23 pm »

Hello guys. It's me. I still haven't gotten around to fixing the terrible coding of the main post. Im busy at the moment(guitar, art school and programming stuffs). I like the idea about taking beds for personal areas and claiming furniture(and maybe other things? Who knows. Perhaps a new mood would be in order where a dwarf just takes random junk and places it in his room. Like an alchemy mood or something, and begins to create a new substance and only he can then replicate it in his home-made lab). I thought about that but at first dismissed it as a proposition exactly because it seemed too damaging to those of us who like to manage EVERYTHING.

I also very much like the theft and prison suggestion. I had not thought how that may actually give prisons a purpose and I was not certain what to do with prisons at all. Thanks for the idea!  I will get these up tomorrow-ish on the main post/list allong with fixing the damn size text things.

Sorry about that.

While we're on the subject, do you think I should add moods as well or no? I feel tempted but I also feel like that would be beyond what this thread was originally intended for. Like, I feel this would help the alchemy department, which is essentially a concept for procedural  production, but should I? Feel free to post your own mood interactions and anything else.

Also thanks for reading. :)

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2014, 04:38:39 pm »

Players placing furniture and dwarves decorating rooms are not mutually exclusive.
When a Dwarf takes up residence in a living quarters he could check for himself what he wants in his room, what's still missing and pick up what he wants. (Or buy it from the communal stockpile, when the economy properly works)
The players who neurotically want matching rooms can decorate them that way before making them available for residence, and the people who just want to churn out rooms and let the dwarves sort out the rest can both have what they want.

Though it becomes more difficult when different room types can get designated inside a living quarters. (ie. A bedroom, study and dining room all part of the same living unit up for rent.)

Enchiridion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2014, 04:44:19 pm »

@Adrian Hmm I suppose there is an alternative where the bedroom screen has a list of items the dwarf CAN take but not necessarily SHOULD take.

For instance, each bedroom(Living quarters) in a fortress has a template where the owner is allowed to take one bed, one table, one chair, one chest and one bookshelf(I would want my dwarves to be educated and such, OK). Most certainly they would all take a bed, as it is an essential part of everyday activities(sleeping) while only some would take a chest only if they have belongings that would otherwise just lie around the room. Fewer would take a char and table for purposes such as writing or reading, most likely eating, however I guess dwarves who are not anti-social would prefer dining halls instead of eating alone. Even fewer dwarves would take bookshelves if we assume that reading is a trait that not all dwarves have.

EDIT: I just discovered MASTERWORK dwarf fortress..... I... I feel so insignificant...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 05:46:54 pm by Enchiridion »

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2014, 01:42:46 am »

EDIT: I just discovered MASTERWORK dwarf fortress..... I... I feel so insignificant...

I am unfamiliar with Masterwork. Do they have room-zones like this?

Enchiridion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2014, 05:14:25 am »

I am unfamiliar with Masterwork. Do they have room-zones like this?
no but its quite literally a DF hack with an insane amount of content. An extremely impressive hack mod. EXTREMELY impressive.

Enchiridion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2014, 02:29:56 pm »

I got rid of some of the weird text glitches but realized I should probably just rewrite and simplify the whole main post. Not everyone wants to read an entire novel...

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2014, 08:24:04 pm »

Regarding the assembly-line thing, I've mentioned earlier that one way to make construction potentially more interesting would be if finished products were made in several intermediate steps - eg, building a chair would involve cutting the wood into individual pieces, assembling them and then sanding/varnishing or otherwise finishing it off, rather than turning a log into a chair. This would be automatic and either invisible or only show up on the jobs screen - you'd still be ordering a chair - but you'd be able to see the carpenter go and saw up the chair in one part of the workshop, assemble it in another, and then put it down somewhere to wait for the varnish to dry.

The big takeaway would be that it would make it easier to both have large teams of dwarves working on objects and make tools, workshop furniture and mechanisms work together more effectively (eg you could use a water-powered saw to speed up the cutting stage of making your chair, but it wouldn't really impact the assembly or varnishing, and you could have dwarves working in assembly-line fashion - you could also make different stages of work be more or less impacted by a dwarf's skill level, which would make apprentices more doable since you could speed up a big order by having the apprentices hog the easy-but-strenuous stuff and the master finishing everything off).

It may make framerate suffer a bit though.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2014, 04:00:02 pm »

I don't know if this was mentioned before, but I found two old threads on a similar topic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=26178.0 and http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=22288.0
Instead of zones, they were based off of rooms, but the workshop overhaul was the same. One even had an Eternal Suggestions Listing ("Room system defined Workshops" go vote!).

Anyway, could this be folded into the Job Overhaul/Taverns? I think a Tavern zone will be needed and the Kitchen needs a rewrite; this would be the perfect time for some preliminary code architecture.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2014, 04:17:52 pm »

So, right now it is assumed that workshops are essentially all the tools someone might need, rolled in one. How can one make all the tools out of a single rock is anyone's guess though.

Realistically, every workplace should have multiple tools hauled it, like forges need anvils now. But I'm not that enthusiastic about drowning in all those shaving planes, saws, chisels etc cluttering list of items. The idea is sound in the sense that, say, to have multiple workplaces share one workshop would allow to have multiple dwarves to work on one queue. But having to manage multiple anvil-like objects just doesn't sound comfortable for me.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7