Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: <ZONES> to replace workshop buildings and room overhaul[!!LONG!!]  (Read 19249 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: <ZONES> to replace workshop buildings and room overhaul[!!LONG!!]
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2015, 07:17:36 am »

I'm wondering if Toady actually has this on his list, and how high this is. While DF is hugely more complicated than any other game, including Stonehearth, I don't see this taking more than a couple of weeks to implement, while the benefits (for both gameplay and future coding) are huge.
It's an interface feature. Most everybody here knows what priority those get. The improved zones in the next version should bring us a little closer, but who knows when we'll actually see it apply to workshops.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2015, 07:22:46 am »

No, is not stupid, don't say that. I think it would be as difficult as Toady find it to be. That's it, since he's the only one working on the code no one else could really know.

However I can feel that since hospitals, and now taverns and temples (specially taverns and hospitals which do host complex interactions) are up, it would be relatively simple to do it.

Now, let's remember that, precisely Toady is the only one working on the code, and he works on it depending on whatever he feels like and how he sees fit. Thus even when something might look simpler (or even complex) to add to the game, is up to him to do it, whenever he wants, which might be anywhere in the future.

As for him applying this, yes, it is the plan on the long run. I don't have the quotes right now but if I recall right he stated that this would be the next step on workshops, current workshops being mere place holders. Regarding this, one can imagine once that's up, carpenter workshops would require assorted tools, nails, workbenches, chairs, tables, cabinets... and so on with each kind of workshop.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 11:21:02 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2015, 09:23:51 am »

PTW

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2015, 11:19:31 am »

PTW
Poison the Well? (the band)
Permit to Work?
Powered Two Wheelers?
Play the World? (The civilization 3 game)
Pressure Treated Wood?
Power Trip Wrestling?
Play to Win?
Pottstown, Pennsylvania? (It's airport Code)
Price to Win?
Precision Targeting Workstation?
Player to Watch?
Personal Training Weapon?
Prove Them Wrong?
Pops Tönende Wunderwelt? (German: Pops Sounding Wonderland; radio show; Germany)
Potassium Titanate Whisker?
Pirate the World?
Profesional Training Weapon?
Proposing to Win?
Precision Tomahawk Workstation?
Pychkine-Tews-Weinmann? (an cryptographical attack on the WEP encryption protocol)
Participant Test Weekend?
Professional Time Waster?
Plan to Watch?
Performance Tool Wilmar?
Prepare the Way?
Perfect Tanning Weather?
Party Time Watches?
Pathways to Work?
Pull the Wire?
Physical Therapy & Wellness?
Physikalisch-Technische Werkstätten? (a producer of dosimetry equipment in Freiburg, Germany)
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Enchiridion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2015, 05:17:56 pm »

PTW
Wut?
Posting to watch

No, is not stupid, don't say that. I think it would be as difficult as Toady find it to be. That's it, since he's the only one working on the code no one else could really know.

However I can feel that since hospitals, and now taverns and temples (specially taverns and hospitals which do host complex interactions) are up, it would be relatively simple to do it.

Now, let's remember that, precisely Toady is the only one working on the code, and he works on it depending on whatever he feels like and how he sees fit. Thus even when something might look simpler (or even complex) to add to the game, is up to him to do it, whenever he wants, which might be anywhere in the future.

As for him applying this, yes, it is the plan on the long run. I don't have the quotes right now but if I recall right he stated that this would be the next step on workshops, current workshops being mere place holders. Regarding this, one can imagine once that's up, carpenter workshops would require assorted tools, nails, workbenches, chairs, tables, cabinets... and so on with each kind of workshop.

I would very much like to see how that works out, because we still know very little about how the taverns actually interface. Is it a crude "define this zone" like a pasture/hospital thing or is it more like a very special burrows? Only time will tell. As for the implementation, I think it would take some time because figuring out all the connections, ironing out all the kinks and polishing it all would be a huge buren for out precious Toady. But let's ask him what he thinks about that.

Hmm....

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

LoneAccident of Axes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2015, 02:39:33 am »

This would be awesome.
I'm pretty much trying to do this with the current workshops and stockpiles, being able to design optimize workshops for their purpose would make things more interesting.
Instead of 20 masonry workshops that chew up space I could have a cell block, each cell containing a chair, a table and a chisel where migrant dwarfs spend their days in cramped conditions making bricks for the Kings Mausoleum. Or a single, massive armour foundry for that one legendary armourer.

You could then have workshops of different quality, giving dwarfs positive or negative thoughts about their working conditions, affecting their desire to join a guild or go on strike.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 02:41:47 am by LoneAccident of Axes »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2015, 01:32:14 pm »

This would be awesome.
I'm pretty much trying to do this with the current workshops and stockpiles, being able to design optimize workshops for their purpose would make things more interesting.
Instead of 20 masonry workshops that chew up space I could have a cell block, each cell containing a chair, a table and a chisel where migrant dwarfs spend their days in cramped conditions making bricks for the Kings Mausoleum. Or a single, massive armour foundry for that one legendary armourer.

You could then have workshops of different quality, giving dwarfs positive or negative thoughts about their working conditions, affecting their desire to join a guild or go on strike.
AHEM Urist mc master smith was annoyed by working with "normal" Adamantium  tools
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Enchiridion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2015, 02:31:52 pm »

I added "The bedroom" and overall cleaned up a lot of junk and fixed some spelling errors and formating problems.

Im curious what the tavern update will bring, because if what I hope happens will happen, then it may also be possible to just set up a "shop" zone, not just a trading depot.

EDIT : Or, trading depots would be exclusively for bartering in bulk with other political entities, while shops may deal in more abstract notions of value and... I just really want to import a bulk of marble in one caravan and export all my turkeys...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 02:33:44 pm by Enchiridion »

BadLemonsXI

• Bay Watcher
  • Lemons'o Doom.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt page.
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2017, 12:04:41 am »

I would like to bring this back into the light seeing as we got the taverns update and as it may be the starting framework for replacing workshops with zones. I hope to hear more news on it.
I didn't want to made a new suggestion seeing as this one is already here and way more detailed.
I make comic things with my avatar for some reason.
No avatar is safe from my editing
\/\/It might be alive? Its been a year >_> 02-Nov-2017\/\/
¤Co-Gm'ing The Fear Master B-Movie ISG¤

Check out my Pixel art!

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2017, 01:35:02 am »

This suggestion is one of my favorites, but i think we have no chanse now,after the end of tavern update.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2017, 04:49:04 am »

This suggestion is one of my favorites, but i think we have no chanse now,after the end of tavern update.
Probably not going to happen until the economy update.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2017, 05:45:54 am »

I agree, this probably will be up once economy makes it's big come back.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2017, 12:03:48 pm »

O Great Toady,

In this time of want I pray to thee, O please heed the OTP.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2017, 06:29:06 am »

Seeing this thread reminded my of an old thought I had some time ago when I found a very interesting, yet old thread in the forum

How many good ideas must be buried in the pages of past times, just because people stop posting in them
The forums have been going for a lot of years, and has had a constant influx of ideas over the years
Some of them are worth to be recovered, like this thread, and most arent.
But those that are will be forgotten unless someone spends a considerabel ammount of time exploring years old ideas
I don't know if that's right
There should be some kind of voting system to archive good enough ideas, so people, or even Toady, can spend bonus time on them
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7