Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your Level of Adventurer?  (Read 3484 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Your Level of Adventurer?
« on: October 07, 2014, 06:52:48 pm »

How do you start an adventurer?  Do you choose to start as a hero, demigod, or peasant?  Do you choose to start in a fortress of hamlet, or even a cave (if modded)?  What skills do you prioritize?  Do you min-max?

I usually play as a peasant, give myself a point in swimming and higher willpower.  I also chose my start location at the lowest tier possible - A cave if available, else a hamlet.  I honestly prefer spears or halbreds, and with the new combat of 40.00 its quite a bit more viable without the cheese.

Also, climbing is slow to level.  I consider what I want to RP exactly.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 07:04:41 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your Level of Adventurer?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 06:59:28 pm »

I start off as demigod.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 08:49:09 pm »

usually i start with demigod and setup my stats like this :

( + not shown but 1 skill point in Reader, as it's needed if you want to make use of all those slabs and you can't acquire Reader in gameplay unfortunately)
with the main weapon stat changing depending on what main weapon i want to play with.

Anyone has a good build for peasant ?
There are so few points to distribute that i'm always puzzled at where to focus them.

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 08:55:12 pm »

Most of the time I like to start as a demigod because I have this thing where I like my adventurers to have at least a 50% chance to survive their first encounter.

But sometimes I do like to play a peasant and honestly it normally doesn't go THAT bad, long as I grind my ambushing and throwing/other ranged attacks first.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 09:53:53 pm »

Recently I've been playing as a zero-point troll in a world without bogey. It's entertaining. Unfortunately, I can't destroy building.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 01:49:45 am »

Normally demigod because of the stat cap. If it weren't for that, I'd likely never go with demigod at all. You can always progress from the weakest starting point, but if at the end you'll only get diminished returns, the effort for me feels wasted.

I choose hillock as place of origin for every dwarf.

What I'm using now is a defender's build with depth but no breadth.

This can be scaled down for hero as well. The central issue is if you can't hit well (especially the blunt weapon user), you'll need to block well, and if you'll need to block for quite some time, you'll need to last.

Every build can be tweaked, but the only two attribute stats that don't seem to be negotiable are the strength and the endurance. Carry more, damage more and delay over exertion.

Superior Toughness is more of a flavor choice than an optimal one. More optimized would be:

Since I generally dislike maze crawling, memory here is not an issue for either of the two set ups.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 07:53:53 am »

Why so many points in armor user?  wouldn't you just be better off getting more dodge skill than armor user?  (or are you planning on running away from most things >.>)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 12:49:29 pm »

I play demigod because I get bored easily when it comes to training skills outside of combat.

I also usually gen a world without the boogeymen because I hate them, spending 30mins running in the woods from an endless stream of boogeymen is just boring. Besides if you decide to sleep in the woods there is a big risk of dying to most things anyway.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 01:07:14 pm »

One elven demigod avenger, rest are just a peasants. If you are one hero battles are just too... easy most of the time, i like challanges. And normal possesed townfolks are weak only at beggining, then they are able to kill most of lords and vampires. In group, you can kill most night creatures. For titans... you know, they are titans, you need special strategy agains them.

If some of my characters will go into rampage (mostly, because he lost companions or somebody did something really bad in front of him, like vampire sucking blood to dry from child in front of my adventurer, then rest of town is lethar to him... Or just because ambushes he was too good in killing), elf is going to kill him. After time elf is soo wounded, cripled etc, so some other adventurer is able to kill him, so he is new avenger.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 01:56:22 pm »

Why so many points in armor user?  wouldn't you just be better off getting more dodge skill than armor user?  (or are you planning on running away from most things >.>)

More skill in armor user allow you to wear better (and more heavy) armor without your speed slowing down a lot.

Speed is more than only running away, try to walk in several sites that are slow, if your speed is halved, the game will even -much- slower (due to hundred of npc doing more things in a single turn due to your own turns being slower).

And in battle, you can't move if you're slower you have to wait things to come to you, because if you move, due to your speed being slower the enemies will then be allowed to make several move+attacks on you at the same time, and with how a lucky kick can kill your heavy armored character, you can be dead without even having the possibility to react.

Having low armor skill is limiting your options.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 03:26:21 pm »

Just wrestle some sleeping bandits or a turtle or a non-venomous snake for a while and the armor skill will go right up.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 03:39:00 pm »

I'm moderately sure that the game uses your speed when fast travelling. Not sure which speed it uses though. I would assume walking, since it's the default.

If you want the fastest adventurer possible, you need low Strength. My adventurer used to have a sprinting speed of 3.4, and now it's down to 3.3 due to her muscles catching up with her. It's pretty fun being able to bounce night creatures around like they're basketballs though*, and having the strength to use blunt weapons and carry huge amounts of stuff. I don't trust my companion with too many bolts, because a non-lethal fight will see her putting the shield and crossbow away and being unable to redraw them because of the bolts she's holding. I don't trust her with a quiver either, because any gear upgrades go right into the quiver. Quite apart from that, with many enemies she's far more effective at stoving their heads in than shooting at them. I lash them in the feet until they pass out, then move onto the next enemy while she beats them to death. Teamwork!

Being a peasant and then grinding before you can go anywhere seems kind of un-fun. Right at the start you can't do any adventuring because you're too weak, and right at the end your stat caps mean you don't get as much return on all the time you've spent building yourself up. Grinding gets results, sure, but I don't want to feel obliged to do it.

*Since they have many of the 'no vulnerability' tokens, you can do proper wrestling moves on them and beat them for a long time with training weapons.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 04:43:50 pm »

Except that night creatures have a tendency to bite you in half if you so much as give them the chance.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 05:43:28 pm »

-- The Ultimate Scrublord --

Basically full combat loadout.

What to do at start:
Find armor/shield(s) (raid some human keeps)
Wear armor (raid human keep bags/chests until you're fully covered in high quality iron/bronze gear)
Find some group of small animals (birds work wonderfully if you're an elf, although good luck getting armor), or a lonely horseshoe crab on the beach if you want to play it safe and want to wait extra long)
A+a+b+Enter+Enter+Enter (wrestle-grab a 1/2-3 of them)
Press CTRL-R
Mash . about 15 times
Press CTRL-S
"Wait"
CTRL-L+Enter
Mash CTRL-P for a while
???
Suddenly your Fighter/Armor user/Dodger skills have skyrocketed, and so has your strength/agility/endurance/toughness/willpower/focus/kinesthetic-/spatial sense.
Put on shield
repeat CTRL-P mashing

Suddenly you are completely ready to mess around in this buggy game where everything was inevitable and where there is no meaning to anything.

if there is meaning to the world then distribute some of the weapon/climber points into fighter/dodger/armour-/shield user, otherwise just leave them for additional stat gains from macro-grinding

do what you want cause a scrublord is free
you are a scrublord

estimated lifetime: until you get your head bashed in due to getting an arrow to the knee and blacking out due to vanilla being unbalanced as sin or dying to getting your head bashed in while you sleep
I've snapped the game's back in a pretty gruesome display of munchkin prowess.

oh_no

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 07:15:56 pm »

Except that night creatures have a tendency to bite you in half if you so much as give them the chance.
If they can't touch you anyway...

Eventually the RNG will give you nothing and the night creature everything, but that could happen with any opponent. In Fortress Mode I once lost an uberdwarf with a few decades of experience to a basic goblin archer. I think that once you get to a certain point, your skill is meaningless and the RNG alone decides if you live or die.

You do have to take out a foot so they can't use their charge attacks, and take away their carving forks especially. Those piddly copper things will poke through iron armour with distressing frequency.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2