Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Game freezing up shortly after embark (OS X)  (Read 1172 times)

melp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Game freezing up shortly after embark (OS X)
« on: October 08, 2014, 12:01:35 pm »

I'm having technical issues with the OS X version. The game locks up fairly early on in every play though I've attempted (happened once ~15 minutes in, second time ~3 hours in). Throughout the play through, the game occasionally "stutters" and locks up for ~1 second before it gets going again. One observational note -- both times, it happened while I was doing the two-finger-drag-on-trackpad thing to scroll around the map, which I believe is an OSX-only feature. I can't figure out where to disable this, though.

This is what shows up in stderr.log (but I'm not even sure if these log items are from the time of the freeze):
Code: [Select]
No caravan report object; use "fix/population-cap force" to create one
UNKNOWN CLASS 'viewscreen_unitlaborsst': vtable = 0xc56d168
2014-10-08 00:05:32.009 dwarfort.exe[1433:507] unrecognized type is -2
2014-10-08 00:05:32.010 dwarfort.exe[1433:507] *** Assertion failure in -[NSEvent _initWithCGSEvent:eventRef:], /SourceCache/AppKit/AppKit-1265.21/AppKit.subproj/NSEvent.m:1361
2014-10-08 00:05:32.010 dwarfort.exe[1433:507] Invalid parameter not satisfying: cgsEvent.type > 0 && cgsEvent.type <= kCGSLastEventType

I'm playing on a MBP, OSX 10.9.4, using MacNewbiePack 0.9.10 w/ DF 40.13. The only DFHack modules I have enabled are "Workflow - production targets" and "Pure Bugfixes". Any help would be appreciated.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Game freezing up shortly after embark (OS X)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 12:49:35 pm »

Try disabling DFHack entirely and see if it still freezes.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

melp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 03:37:22 pm »

I'll give that a shot and see if I can get it to freeze up again.

melp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 06:52:16 pm »

Managed to get it to freeze up pretty quickly this time. I had dfhack turned off and I did the two-finger scroll thing a whole bunch, switching between z levels too, and it locked up within a couple minutes.

edit: I think removing multiscroll.plug.dylib from the Dwarf Fortress/hack/plugin folder fixed the issue. See: http://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/2h0v9r/macnewbie_pack_0910_with_df_4013/ckpj37q
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 07:13:45 pm by melp »

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 05:34:57 am »

Oh sh*t, I experienced this issue myself several times but forgot to check stderr.log

Please try version 2.26 from http://build.mifki.com It's hard to reproduce this problem so I can't be 100% sure I've fixed it though.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 08:30:46 am »

I had dfhack turned off and I did the two-finger scroll thing a whole bunch, switching between z levels too, and it locked up within a couple minutes.

edit: I think removing multiscroll.plug.dylib from the Dwarf Fortress/hack/plugin folder fixed the issue.
If removing a DFHack plugin fixed the issue, then you didn't actually turn DFHack off...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 11:48:51 am »

I had dfhack turned off and I did the two-finger scroll thing a whole bunch, switching between z levels too, and it locked up within a couple minutes.
edit: I think removing multiscroll.plug.dylib from the Dwarf Fortress/hack/plugin folder fixed the issue.
If removing a DFHack plugin fixed the issue, then you didn't actually turn DFHack off...
True, the launcher tries to launch dfhack if it exists, you need to start the game with the 'df-vanilla' script for that.