Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first labyrinth! A terrible disappointment.  (Read 2627 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
My first labyrinth! A terrible disappointment.
« on: October 08, 2014, 07:34:25 pm »

I went in, wandered around a bit, and in very short order the minotaur appeared growling threats. I put my shield and scourge away and prepared for fisticuffs, and it announced its withdrawal from the fight. Er, okay then, I'll just mentally map the place out and steal the treasures within. You just... run around screaming. I found nothing but a bowl, a pestle, and a small stack of coins, so I stole its dinner and left. I accidentally punched it once on the way out when it got under my feet, but I left it alone because I honestly felt bad for it.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: My first labyrinth! A terrible disappointment.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 08:02:35 pm »

Yes, after reading the legends in which Minotaurs do rampage and have kill lists in worldgen, it's very disapointing to see how they actually behave once you are in gameplay time, i have not found a single minotaur that is not running away in terror.

Hopefully Toady will get this fixed once the emotion update thing is finished.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 09:39:10 pm »

Robsoie, you are playing with vanilla raws and vanilla tileset I believe, right? I downloaded the vanilla game and minotaurs do have the [LARGE_PREDATOR] tag, which should make them hostile.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 10:11:45 pm »

Yes i play vanilla usually (when not playing vanilla, it's just edited entities removing "like" and "tolerate" to avoid mixed civs and confuse even more factions relations), but i think a part of the problem is that i have always an ally or two with me, and minotaurs being alone are apparently very afraid by groups.

Minotaur are always hostile at first, they even vocally threaten you, but after a couple of turns they always "i must widthdraw" and run away

That or unlike megabeasts that attack regardless of your group, minotaurs are affected by your fame, as usually my character has a kill list with dozens of things inside when i go to labyrinths.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 10:13:17 pm by Robsoie »

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 02:57:25 am »

Have you tried giving it a bit of discipline as it was done in the good old days?

Because that exactly describes my experience of a labyrinth back in like ~40.03

oh_no

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 08:08:13 am »

The only minotaur I killed in 2014 never really found me. I sneaked in and whipped his leg and he said something like "somebody is up to no good" and then I killed him. I admit I laughed after reading what he said.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 11:52:46 am »

Minotaurs *used* to be fairly dangerous in 34.11 due to their large size and strength, so I always just sneak up on them and hit them in the head, and never gave them a chance to run away.  I guess I'll have to try to fight fair next time and see what happens...

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 02:29:45 pm »

My adventurer did go in alone, but had a long kill list. I don't know how the minotaur would know that though. Perhaps there's a bit of abstraction going on for non-civ entities.

The game is mostly vanilla, though (after worldgen) for ease of adventuring I made dwarves, goblins, and elves size 70000 and tweaked their height/broadness ranges to try and get the same body size as I would from the default setup.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 07:20:31 pm »

Back in 34.12 I fought a minotaur and it was pretty challenging. I think I actually escaped and came back later (I wasn't fully armored yet).

In 40.13 I've fought 2, they threatened and yelled until they saw me and then started running away. Since I was a vampire with 260+ notable kills I assumed it was because of that. After reading this thread I feel less cool :(

although it was pretty satisfying to defeat a minotaur by kicking it to death. One to the leg, two to the head, done.
"Are you there, gods? It's me, Mistêm."
Quote from: Boatmurdered
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 02:03:26 pm »

I had a minotaur as my queen (in MW)... I have NO idea how that happened.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"