Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Barony: 3D, multiplayer roguelike  (Read 23452 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Barony: 3D, multiplayer roguelike
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 04:13:00 pm »

Got to Floor 12, then vomited because I ate some "fresh" food (which was actually rotten) and didn't have anything left (because the sand levels are essentially foodless), so I starved to death. Actually, I starved to death a surprising amount of times already, even though I don't waste much time at all (and keep my inv slim to stay fast). I feel like food should be rebalanced a bit.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 06:10:48 pm »

I'm loving this game so far, my best run got until Level 8 until a shopkeeper killed me for shooting his pet scorpion. Multiplayer is unplayable though, we tried lots of times and only made it at most 3 minutes until the game started spamming pause/unpause messages to the point of unplayability. Which brings me to another point: You can't quit the game with Alt+F4, which makes it really annoying to quit the game when it's bugged out and keeping the mouse hostage. Maybe you could add a force-close key that quits the program no matter what is going on?

Did you shoot the scorpion with arrows or spells? In the former case, that should not cause shopkeepers to aggro you for attacking monsters. In the latter, there's a bug in the latest release where shopkeepers will aggro you for shooting monsters with spells.

The pause/unpause message spam is really bad.
It's really strange that you can't Alt-F4 it. We'll have to look into that.

I like the concept; tried this a little but the game went FPS dead every once a while and locked the controls so that character ran ahead all the time. Might be that my laptop just ain't up to the game's needs. Will return to matter when I've got some free time at more game-oriented desktop.

I don't know about the controls locking up, but there have been other similar performance reports on low-end laptops.
Right now, the game isn't really optimized, as it's still in alpha, but I can't guarantee it'll ever be able to run on computers below a certain level. After all, as we add more and more, Barony will require more processing power regardless of how much optimization we do.

Got to Floor 12, then vomited because I ate some "fresh" food (which was actually rotten) and didn't have anything left (because the sand levels are essentially foodless), so I starved to death. Actually, I starved to death a surprising amount of times already, even though I don't waste much time at all (and keep my inv slim to stay fast). I feel like food should be rebalanced a bit.

Hehe, food. There's nothing in the code to spawn less food on the labyrinth. Item placement is randomized, so you may have good luck or bad luck with how much food you get.

I do agree food needs to be rebalanced.
On a sidenote, I usually have bad luck with food, even though others I've played with seem to have no such problem.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 06:57:01 pm by addictgamer »
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 06:38:41 pm »

Was having a hard time, finally killed a goblin after like 5 deaths with no kills, and it immediately crashed.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2014, 11:41:04 am »

Finally got to the end (with Dude XXV), but only because I spent all my money on food. I sprinted through the yellow and blue levels using Magic Mapping and a Ring of Warning, did I miss something important? Because it ends rather abruptly.
Spoiler: Proof (click to show/hide)

Oh, and by the way, your reference game is top notch. I definitely did not expect a Myst reference to show up.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 12:58:29 pm by MagmaMcFry »

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2014, 05:58:05 pm »

Was having a hard time, finally killed a goblin after like 5 deaths with no kills, and it immediately crashed.

Hmm. Can you give any more info on the circumstances at the time of the crash?

Finally got to the end (with Dude XXV), but only because I spent all my money on food. I sprinted through the yellow and blue levels using Magic Mapping and a Ring of Warning, did I miss something important? Because it ends rather abruptly.
Spoiler: Proof (click to show/hide)

Oh, and by the way, your reference game is top notch. I definitely did not expect a Myst reference to show up.

Huh. That's odd. You should be able to play through all the levels without spending all your money on food.

No, you didn't miss anything. After the ruins, there should be the final boss. The reason we consider the game to be in alpha and not beta is because the final boss does not exist yet. Therefore the deepest you can go right now is the ruins. After you complete those, there's nothing left.
Once we add the boss and you can beat the game, we'll move on to beta :D
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2014, 06:01:32 pm »

Latest update on the Barony website:

Quote from: Barony Website
Some of you have been asking me about future releases of Barony.

Barony's come far since when I joined the project in October of last year. Back then, the game was only about 30% done.
Now, the game stands at roughly 70% completion. Barony's come far!
Which means the latest release is more or less Barony's last free release.
As some of you may recall, we've previously mentioned that as the game approaches completion, we wish to start selling it.

Here's what the near future's going to look like: After some final preparations, we're going to make Barony available for purchase.
But that's not all! Some of you have asked me, on multiple occasions, if we're going to submit Barony to Steam Greenlight.
Yes, we would very much like to. Get your votes ready folks, we're going to storm the castle!

In other news, Barony's Indie Game Festival listing has gone public here: http://www.igf.com/php-bin/entry2015.php?id=8123

TL;DR: No more free updates of Barony, game is 70% complete.

Barony has a ton of potential and I had pretty positive reactions to playing it, but I am stunned by this update. Even calling Barony "Alpha" is generous at this point. Finding out that things like movement, item management, and multiplayer (where 19 out of the 20 or so games I've played have ended with everyone crashing) are not considered placeholders is a very surprising to me.

The game is just not ready for sale, and the community is too small to support it with hype.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 06:03:08 pm by PrimusRibbus »
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2014, 03:20:46 am »

Barony has a ton of potential and I had pretty positive reactions to playing it, but I am stunned by this update. Even calling Barony "Alpha" is generous at this point. Finding out that things like movement, item management, and multiplayer (where 19 out of the 20 or so games I've played have ended with everyone crashing) are not considered placeholders is a very surprising to me.

The game is just not ready for sale, and the community is too small to support it with hype.
It looks like I've actually raised more questions with that announcement than I inteded to and there have been some misunderstandings that should be corrected immediately:

1. We are not preparing Barony for immedate comercial release, and I inadvertedly created too much excitement using colorful language and strong metaphors.
In reality, switching from free releases to selling the game was a big decision that we discussed for a long time before coming to any agreement on the matter.
The fact that we intend to monotize the game in the future doesn't indicate anything in regards to when we intend to actually launch.
Actually, when we intend to launch is not a question I can answer right now, and the reason why I omitted specific details of timing in the blog post (my mistake -- the overall tone of the announcement indicated otherwise).

2. Yes, we're well aware some aspects of the game need an overhaul. We're not planning on initiating sales until these have been addressed.
Specifically regarding some of the issues you mentioned, we've been planning to redesign the GUI (especially the inventory) for months. The netcode is also in the middle of a major revision that should make the game far more stable by the time we start selling.
So, we are in-fact on top of these issues, but as a two man team, it takes time before we can get to any one of these things.

All in all, sorry about the confusion. The blog will be updated with further clarification on our plans.
Don't worry, we're not in this for a quick bucka. Our first priority is to make a game that's actually worth your money, so please bear with us as we continue sorting things out.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2014, 03:21:15 am »

I wouldn't call the game 70% finished. And I'm disappointed in no more free releases.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2014, 11:29:25 am »

It looks like I've actually raised more questions with that announcement than I inteded to and there have been some misunderstandings that should be corrected immediately:

1. We are not preparing Barony for immedate comercial release, and I inadvertedly created too much excitement using colorful language and strong metaphors.
In reality, switching from free releases to selling the game was a big decision that we discussed for a long time before coming to any agreement on the matter.
The fact that we intend to monotize the game in the future doesn't indicate anything in regards to when we intend to actually launch.
Actually, when we intend to launch is not a question I can answer right now, and the reason why I omitted specific details of timing in the blog post (my mistake -- the overall tone of the announcement indicated otherwise).

2. Yes, we're well aware some aspects of the game need an overhaul. We're not planning on initiating sales until these have been addressed.
Specifically regarding some of the issues you mentioned, we've been planning to redesign the GUI (especially the inventory) for months. The netcode is also in the middle of a major revision that should make the game far more stable by the time we start selling.
So, we are in-fact on top of these issues, but as a two man team, it takes time before we can get to any one of these things.

All in all, sorry about the confusion. The blog will be updated with further clarification on our plans.
Don't worry, we're not in this for a quick bucka. Our first priority is to make a game that's actually worth your money, so please bear with us as we continue sorting things out.

Thanks for the clarification, that makes much more sense. I read between the lines a little too hard and incorrectly assumed that Barony would be released commercially immediately.

I'm particularly relieved that things like netcode will be receiving an overhaul. You'll have to forgive me for assuming the worst; the "70% finished" figure alarmed me because so many developers have been declaring v1.0 lately without completing major features (Spacebase DF-9, for example). Glad I was wrong.

I am 100% okay with a future commercial release, and I think that Barony is shaping up into a great game. Best of luck!
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2014, 01:26:57 pm »

This looks deliciously 90s. I'm in. I don't have the strictest standards when it comes to games.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2014, 02:32:11 pm »

I'll have to keep an eye on this. It reminds me a lot of the first two Elder Scrolls games, which didn't have me extremely interested when i first saw the thread, but then I noticed the word "multiplayer" in there.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2014, 02:29:13 pm »

I'm super excited for this, I can't wait.

ghostetler88

• Bay Watcher
  • Stick a Soth in it!
    • View Profile
    • The Epic Gamers
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2015, 08:59:24 pm »

So, anyone playing this yet? It just released today.

I've spent a few hours with it and am enjoying myself thus far. The game's definitely challenging, that's for sure!
A Let's Player appears! He menaces with spikes of mediocrity and failure. Beware his terrible puns!

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2015, 10:59:28 pm »

So, anyone playing this yet? It just released today.

I've spent a few hours with it and am enjoying myself thus far. The game's definitely challenging, that's for sure!

Ah, man, you beat me to updating this topic. This last week has just been way too hectic...

Well, here's some basic info:
You can purchase Barony via Humble at the game's website: http://www.baronygame.com/
We're trying to get Barony greenlit, you can view the campaign here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=369708679
If you like the game, please help us out by voting yes :)

tangar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2016, 04:05:01 pm »

I've just started to play Barony; its my 1st time when I tried this game, first impressions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXI5QuMpxxM

Very unusual real-time roguelike game with a lot of stuff from Nethack... Very hardcore game :)

1) The only problem is very small font. I would be so glad to understand how to increase it... Anyone knows? %)
2) Is it possible to skip 1st lvl? This hall without anything interesting :) I die a lot so wanna be immideatelly in action with my new character

Also I've made second stream in Russian... Even more YASD %))
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQU83gnrJiI
Pages: 1 [2] 3