Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Barony: 3D, multiplayer roguelike  (Read 23455 times)

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
Barony: 3D, multiplayer roguelike
« on: October 09, 2014, 03:34:54 am »

I need to write up an up-to-date post when I get a chance, the game has since been completed and released.

In short: Barony is a 3D, multiplayer Roguelike inspired by the likes of Ultima Underworld, System Shock 2, Nethack, and Daggerfall.
See the website for more information: http://baronygame.com/

(Here is the original, outdated OP:)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 07:55:37 pm by addictgamer »
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Barony: 3D, multiplayer roguelike
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 09:18:21 am »

Oh geez, I can see that being a lot of fun.

You should add an endless mode.   :D
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 01:26:30 pm »

You haven't tried it yet? I am dissapointed in you, son.

You should add an endless mode.   :D

What would this endless mode you suggest constitute?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 01:52:11 pm by addictgamer »
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 01:38:43 pm »

Just the ability to keep going down the dungeon after the final boss, with it getting harder and harder until you die.  Tower of Guns had this and I thought it was fun for that sort of game. 

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 01:49:08 pm »

Just the ability to keep going down the dungeon after the final boss, with it getting harder and harder until you die.  Tower of Guns had this and I thought it was fun for that sort of game.

Oh, I see. I'd thought you meant something like "fight the endless horde of monsters!"

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 02:13:35 pm »

Was interested until I saw it was a voxel engine? Not that I hold anything against you for that choice, it's just not my bag. Good luck
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 02:32:34 pm »

You haven't tried it yet? I am dissapointed in you, son.

Well, I'm the kind of gamer that likes to wait till the game is done before playing it most of the time.  That way I don't get a bad first impression from an incomplete game.    :P 

The screenshots make it look fun though, and I'm a sucker for 3d procedurally generated dungeons.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 03:00:22 pm »

A 3D roguelike with voxel graphics? That's pretty cool, to be honest. I'll try it out when it's a bit further along in development.

Though I read on the forums it could be difficult, I really hope it could have good modding support.

Thumbs up!  :)
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 03:55:14 pm »

This game looks A LOT like Eldrich.

Are they using the same engine?

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 11:38:53 pm »

Though I read on the forums it could be difficult, I really hope it could have good modding support.

I'm a huge proponent of modding support. I personally believe games should be moddable from the ground up.
However, Barony has major technical restrictions which limits its moddability, to my great distress.
As of right now, the game comes packed with a level editor so you can make your own level packs. On top of that, there's not much more you can do other than add new books and swap out models and sprites.

New monsters? New items? As the code currently stands, you can't add those outside of the source code. The code itself needs to be modified to include them. That's the unfortunate technical limitations of our codebase.

Eventually, we may or may not release the source code -- in which case the game would, technically, be fully moddable. However, that's neither a guarantee that we'll do it nor that it would happen soon even if we chose to.

Are they using the same engine?

I don't know what Eldrich is, but I can guarantee they aren't using the same engine; we're writing our engine from line one to line 40K concurrently with Barony.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 11:43:24 pm by addictgamer »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 11:41:55 pm »

Posting to watch.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 01:17:11 am »

This.

However, I've tried both games and Barony's gameplay and world is different. Which makes sense since it's still in alpha and they're taking a more RPGish route.
But the atmosphere definitely feels similar to Eldritch (that's a good thing!).
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 01:22:22 am by dorf »

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 01:30:46 am »

This.

However, I've tried both games and Barony's gameplay and world is different from Eldritch.
But the atmosphere feels similar to Eldritch (that's a good thing!).

Oh, Eldritch. Searching it up on google, I recall some other people have mentioned Barony and Eldritch are similar.
As I've not played Eldritch myself, I can't judge whether or not that's a good or a bad thing, but if you say it's good...I will take your word for it :)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 02:02:05 pm »

I'm loving this game so far, my best run got until Level 8 until a shopkeeper killed me for shooting his pet scorpion. Multiplayer is unplayable though, we tried lots of times and only made it at most 3 minutes until the game started spamming pause/unpause messages to the point of unplayability. Which brings me to another point: You can't quit the game with Alt+F4, which makes it really annoying to quit the game when it's bugged out and keeping the mouse hostage. Maybe you could add a force-close key that quits the program no matter what is going on?

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 02:57:35 pm »

I like the concept; tried this a little but the game went FPS dead every once a while and locked the controls so that character ran ahead all the time. Might be that my laptop just ain't up to the game's needs. Will return to matter when I've got some free time at more game-oriented desktop.
Pages: [1] 2 3