Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sudden Death  (Read 1840 times)

nordo

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think so, Urist.
    • View Profile
Sudden Death
« on: May 12, 2008, 02:40:00 pm »

It was shaping up to be great fortress, for about the first 20 seconds.

What could have killed him?  He was next to a pond with a "pike" and "Arzeskir, Stugeon"  I don't even know why he was hunting, since he didn't have that activated in his jobs list.  And I don't see how the fish could have killed him, because they don't "hunt" fish (do they?).  Anyway, some of his limbs were chopped off, but there went any messages about that.  Is there a way to see more messages besides just pressing "a"?

Thanks for any help.  Now I gotta decide who will be the new miner...

Prepared monarch butterfly brain.

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sudden Death
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 02:41:00 pm »

The sturgeon killed him.

Because he's the one with the name.

Them fish are deadly, don't let your dwarves NEAR any body of water containing fish.

t''s not illegal. The government just doesn''t want you doing it.

nordo

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think so, Urist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 02:44:00 pm »

Thanks.

Is Arzeskir some kind of heroic stugeon, or do animals get names when they kill a dwarf?

How do fisherdwarves catch them without being murdered?

Prepared monarch butterfly brain.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 05:36:00 pm »

Animals get names when they kill dwarves. If they kill more dwarves, then they get more names.

Fisherdwarves don't go after the fish you see on the units list; they go after small fry like turtles and salmon. However, trying to fish for small fry in water that has the big fish is asking for your water to get tainted with blood and beard.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 10:10:00 pm »

I have had some bad experiences with fish.  Horrible, horrible, horrible experiences.  Fortress of 20 guys killed by them experiences.

Don't ever let your guys go near them.

Also, the first sentence of this thread made me crack up.

What could have killed him? He was next to a pond with a "pik <-Point where I started laughing, hard.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 10:29:00 pm »

The issue with fish is that they will pull your dwarf into the water with them. The dwarf will pass out and drown, as it has no way of getting out of the water.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 10:40:00 pm »

Hell, I didn't have to worry about that, in this one fortress with the river INFESTED with hippo's and carp.

The dwarves didn't have enough time to drown.  They where simply ripped to shreds.  Tiny pieces.  In an instant.  SWARMS OF THEM.

Oh, and hippoes got into my fortress.  Five of them.  That wasn't fun!

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 10:54:00 pm »

Carp are nasty, but really the real killer is the Stugeons. I've seen Stugeons kill dwarves on land, while carp almost always require that they drag the dwarf into the water and drown him with their slippery fins.

Avoid Stugeons! Avoid Carp! Fear the Hippo.

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 12:10:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
<STRONG>Animals get names when they kill dwarves. If they kill more dwarves, then they get more names. </STRONG>

On a related note, I had a carp with a three part name. I know he had killed at least 6 dwarves, since I saw them die right next to him.

I sent my entire crossbow army onto a wall near him, and he was pin-cushioned.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 12:25:00 am »

When Toady gets around to fixing fish he should leave in the current breed of carp as a separate "Dwarven Carp" species.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 02:30:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Qmarx:
<STRONG>When Toady gets around to fixing fish he should leave in the current breed of carp as a separate "Dwarven Carp" species.</STRONG>
Don't you mean "Anti-Dwarven Carp?"
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 04:12:00 am »

Also remember to stay clear of stingrays as well, they crit about as much as a crossbow and don't require ammo.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 04:40:00 am »

Stingrays are that deadly in RL.
I knew a man who was killed by a stingray. Its pike impaled him through a few organs.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 11:09:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Deon:
<STRONG>Stingrays are that deadly in RL.
I knew a man who was killed by a stingray. Its pike impaled him through a few organs.</STRONG>

Crikey, that would hurt

Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 11:20:00 am »

I think undead carp are a bit more of a threat really. I started a map with a small river on a terrifying map, and had my entire starting team wiped out as the carp jumped out of the river at them and chased them to the edge of the map. I think maybe two survived to reach the edge just before the carp caught up to them, and finished them off.

I was even cheating and had a 20 person starting team. >_>; However, 20 persons can't stand up to two and a half pages of undead fish very well.

In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: [1] 2