Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Player As a God  (Read 3328 times)

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Player As a God
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 12:40:49 pm »

I kind of like the player not being an entity in the world in fort mode. I'd be all for a seperate god mode, though.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 11:45:08 am »

I must say I do like the idea of someone abandoning your fort only to return later with a massive army to destroy you. Could be an alternative to tantrum spirals
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 01:09:57 pm »

Dwarves that can actually figure out that something from beyond the screen is influencing things? Sounds awesome. 
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

jefam99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 07:22:40 pm »

you would have to wait for the philosopher's to be put back in, but it sounds intriguing to say the least. (maybe becoming a philosopher is the first step in noticing your influence on the fortress)
The doomsday lever would look like any other.  It would be surrounded by the various levers needed in the day to day life of the fortress, such as irrigation or raising the main drawbridge or operating the noble shower chamber.  None of the levers would be labeled.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 11:40:19 pm »

Philosopher as the first step to priest? Given that philosophers served no in-game function anyway, tying them to the God gambit does seem to make sense.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2014, 12:50:12 am »

Is the player overseeing his fortress the god?
How do the dwarves receive command from the player, do they just gain random inspiration to dig certain tunnels and build workshops? Furthermore how would the game deal with the players personality and traits contradicting the spheres and traits of that deity? Although interesting, I don't really see it working in fortress mode - it makes more sense, and would save a lot of work just to see the player as the current manager/noble mandating orders. (But then the personality contradiction could be also stated here, blah blah. However, it's more important in the deity theme; seeing as they embody certain concepts of reality: Weather, Death, etc).

I kind of like the player not being an entity in the world in fort mode. I'd be all for a seperate god mode, though.

Totally agreed. But it leads to more problems such as: Is the deity incarnate? Why/Why aren't all deities incarnate? Things like random conversations starting as entities pray to you. It seems like an awful amount of trouble for such an unnecessary (Yet awesome) game mechanic.
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2014, 10:10:02 am »

I'll agree about the unnecessary yet awesome nature of the feature. I think it would open up a lot of doors for extra interaction, but the game doesn't really need it. That being said, I'll continue to field questions and suggestions.

Yes, the player overseeing the Fortress would be the God. When they talk to you, it'd be to YOU, not to some predefined, procedurally generated entity. You, yourself, would set the spheres and traits. If you later contradicted those, you would be contradicting yourself. Which could be a cause for loyalty cascades and the like down the road. The game already has to deal with that on the small scale. Remember Adventure Mode? Well, now that characters have personalities, the players are constantly overriding their Adventurers' personalities.

And I'm not sure how a separate God mode would work. It could be a good mesh of Adventure and Fortress mode where you haunt someone, convert them by favoring them over their rivals, and then ordering them to build you a Fortress in the wilderness, but that seems like even more work just to do something that could be better done by allowing Adventurers to form their own entities and actively control the sites they claim or make.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2014, 10:55:46 am »

Ideally, the expedition leader/current leader would also matter under this system.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2014, 12:45:23 pm »

Good point. When your religion starts, if the leader's not on board, they could start or support a rival entity within your fortress.

yxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 12:31:11 pm »

I like this idea +1

like this story: 'Sandkings' by George R. R. Martin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandkings_%28novelette%29)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2015, 12:03:22 pm »

Nah. This game already encourages hubris enough.

Also in a meta way we are already gods in all but name. There's no need to set up officially the player as a god.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2015, 10:29:19 pm »

Yeah, no. The notion of who the player is exactly is kinda up to interpretation, and I'd prefer it if the game left it that way.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2015, 04:14:59 pm »

It's possible to mod in Deities as Megabeasts, which can then stomp around killing stuff, pretty much like any other Megabeast, and eventually can be also killed by a skillful or lucky enough Adventurer or Fortress. 
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2015, 11:57:32 am »

The nature of the player is only "up for interpretation" because Toady has yet to fully implement all his plans for the game. 

As players, we are not gods, we are the (usually lesser) nobles of a fortress.  We are the Expedition Leader/Mayor/Bookkeeper/Manager/etc. and we are supposedly playing the game giving orders as they would.  It's simply that, much like Crusader Kings or something, the transition of power is ridiculously seamless. 

To have dwarves worship "us" as gods means worshipping the nobles as gods, which we all agree would be something of a silly, and potentially Fun, thing.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2015, 02:41:34 pm »

I actually like the idea as an optional setting, defined in ethier the int file or for each world gen.

So the ones that like to form there on difrent interpretation get what they want and the ones that want to be god like get that.

Everyone's happy! (Well....toady might not be, depends on if he think the feature is worth the codeing  time)
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!
Pages: 1 [2] 3