Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: ☼Castlemarkets☼ - a Masterwork Human Fortress! Part seven - a promotion!  (Read 13706 times)

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Masterwork Human Fortress played by a Masterwork noob!
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 05:00:11 pm »

Its generally considered good community/succession fortress form to put the name of your fort[Riverblocked, Incestpudding, Forestsyrups, etc] as the thread title, usually with "☼" enclosing it to denote that its a Masterwork Fortress. That said, I haven't seen very many Human playthroughs on Bay12, so this could be interesting.
+1 (although he hasnt started yet, so obviously the name will have to wait)
That better? I don't know how to do the gear symbols though...
☼Alt + 15☼ (at least if you have a numpad on your keyboard)
Thanks.

And the world is genned! Soon more info and an update will be out.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From the Journal of Kawe Esmelapip, a former court socialite (hence, the flowery talk) and jeweler:

Spring, year 5.

Well, we've finally arrived in this atrocious dump. What an abominable place. It was supposed to be a privilege to be here. Why, I inquire? The grass is wet underfoot, the river is somewhat salty and the beach has not even a grain of sand, being comprised of sandstone! I was even told that I would be forced to assist in the hauling of all kinds of filth! I protested, but to no avail.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

However, being the leader of this band of malodorous urchins, I denigned to give commands. The wagon in which we had travelled was immediately deconstructed, and three workshops (a Crafter's, Mason's and Carpenter's) built from its remains. An order was given to strip the surrounding area of these unpleasant trees (for I am tired of their leaves lieing upon me when I doze) and to scour the unhealthy dirt of certain vegetables and herbs with which to supplement our diet. Meanwhile, the cat sees our food worthy of its decomposing prey (a lovebird and rhino lizard). How revolting.

Umcos and Ecsha dug an exploratory staircase into the stone; what riches shall Mother Earth release to use?

For now, nothing. However, the wooden and stone blocks built served mightily in the construction of Brick and Wood Splitting Blocks, one of each. I put Uhos to work breaking boulders there; they will be used to build a majestic wall in place of a great military.

However, that burly squire Idil heard me talking and took great offence, telling me that he was learned in the ways of battle. I dislike that brash man, but to quieten him, I made him Militia Commander and ordered the building of an armour stand. He chose an odd name for his squad in my humble opinion.

I decided to construct four farm plots to accelerate the production of food and drink; I am running out of my blackberry wine and could not bring myself to sup on that slush they call dandelion "wine". It was now that Kepfu let slip he belonged to the Tanner's Guild. Tanning, not something more constructive to our settlement's survival. T'was a pity - I very nearly liked him.

To ensure our fortress's economic viability, I ordered the construction of a Merchant's Stall for local traders to peddle their wares. We desperately need currency to pay the fees of the guilds. Those sacks of flesh made me build it myself.

Construction of the wall began to take place as a merchant arrived. I gave the fellow a trade licence, and without another word, he set up shop.

Two statues were also built to take centreplace in the new shrines.

This was a difficult decision for me. Which to dedicate this first, and more attractive, holy place to? In the end, I decided for the god I am more dedicated to, Mete.

OOC:

I then constructed a second altar, and consecrated it to my other diety, of agriculture. I took a chance and upended a barrel of alcohol upon her shrine. Idil gave chase to a Faedog that had been wandering the wastes, but it was too fast and fleet of foot. This was perhaps beneficial, as Faedogs are ferocious fighters, and he wore no armour. As much as I disdain him, I would not see anyone hurt.

Ecsha and Gasom became lovers; checking their files, I noticed that one was nervous and the other calm. Hopefully they will balance each other out. Kepfu began to train war dogs - he has a way with the hounds. Uhos made a statuete of a little-known event in our history:

The feline is also a capable vermin hunter - on par with Puss from the tale of Mayor Whittington, who has unfortunately gone down in history as the originator of the Great Catsplosion.

Just as summer arrived, a Giant Tiercel Peregrine swooped out at me! I was forced to run for my life before its talons. Idil ought to be able to kill it (certainly more so than the 9 Giant Wild Boar safely on the other side of the river, thank the gods.)
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

So far so good. :)

I'd like a free human, "Meph". Take one as you see fit.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile

Nice narrative, I love the whole "disdainful upper-class Englishman" shtick. I'll take a bureaucrat if you don't mind, when you next have one available.

You might want to mark your starting population with something special, as unfortunately migrants are almost always "atheist" since it seems only historical figures can pledge themselves to gods in pre-.40. So unless you get lucky and get famous people or founding members of a previous player-fort, your starting seven will determine the total number and types of gods you're capable of praying to.

Also, according to my copied list of sphere effects from IndigoFenix's thread, Dreams and Agriculture are equally useless, beyond the usual gravity-pounding-invaders-into-the-ground effect.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So far so good. :)

I'd like a free human, "Meph". Take one as you see fit.
Nice - I'll give you the farmer/animal trainer, Kepfu.

Nice narrative, I love the whole "disdainful upper-class Englishman" shtick. I'll take a bureaucrat if you don't mind, when you next have one available.

You might want to mark your starting population with something special, as unfortunately migrants are almost always "atheist" since it seems only historical figures can pledge themselves to gods in pre-.40. So unless you get lucky and get famous people or founding members of a previous player-fort, your starting seven will determine the total number and types of gods you're capable of praying to.

Also, according to my copied list of sphere effects from IndigoFenix's thread, Dreams and Agriculture are equally useless, beyond the usual gravity-pounding-invaders-into-the-ground effect.
Thanks - the current narrator is actually destined to be one, but I can easily get another from the largely useless twerps about to show up.

Now, I'm going to find how a Minotaur became queen of my home civ, and what happened, as she is no longer queen.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From the diary of Idil Romsuwu, a former squire and soldier.

Summer, Year 6

Well, its been 3 months now. Me and the rest have been just fine, except Kawe, that great whining buffoon. Hate the man. Always complaining about the rations, or lack of sleeping barracks.

Meph's been getting along with training the dogs for war, and had nearly trained them all when:
Funny, would have thought we'd know that much already.

One of the dogs went after that damn bird that's been hovering around this area, and gave the hostile a few good wounds.  Hostile was not terminated, but after inflicting a cut eye and leg, it initiated a tactical retreat. Kawe'll be happy.

Weirdo. Those things are good fried in butter though.

Within moments, same civilian created our first masterpiece. It was a figurine of werelizards, so don't ask me what's up with THAT crafter. I hope it is not a bad omen.

Walls nearly done; thank the Lords, I don't want to have to face hostiles without backup.

Migrants! I quickly recruited two into my squad - names of Urir and Iguk. Would have prefered others, but that... Kawe told me I had to. They were the least productive, he explained. Fool.

Fortunately, he had enough sense to appoint a junior medic who arrived to Chief of Medicine.

Flying hostiles appeared to the west. They were identified as Giant Hornets - a Queen, Worker and Drone. To prevent unnecessary causalties, I did not engage. However, the animals were moved in.

An office was constructed for Kawe in the pit mine, and the walls were smoothed and engraved. To my worry, the civilian engraved tombs, two instances of a Necromancer's Slab, werelizards and black widows.

Home civ vs. us.
What fool let Kawe choose our symbol?!

The outpost liason... I think.

Kawe and I, while Uci traded, negotiated with the liason. I (fine, WE) requested leather, metals, wine, plaster, glass, sand and clay. He responded with truely Kawe-worthy requests.

Weirdly, he then turned around, put on another hat, and introduced himself as the Trader Guild representative! Confused, we requested the same again, but also included hawks. He responded with truely Kawe-worthy requests AGAIN. He then bid farewell to us "stout dwarves."

Civilians. All mad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LMeire, you have your Bureacrat! A priest and blacksmith called Uci, one of our TWO (!) females.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 09:08:06 am by Illogical_Blox »

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, who is Byed Beautyfoolish?

She is my Minotaur Queen/Deity Incarnate - who is still my queen.  :o

Also, why the lack of love for Castlemarkets? :(

cheesemcmuffin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is a really cool idea and i hope you continue it. I would advise altogether avoiding those giant hornets though just hope they go away. Also could you dorf or human me.

Ivan Mladić
Preferably a mace/shield user
I will type up a background for him once i finish some pre calc homwork

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

Byed has very diverse interests.  Minotaurs must have a nice liberal arts curriculum.

Kazymir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd be appreciative of being humaned. A Mechanic, for preference, or a Jeweler otherwise.
We must not look at Goblin Men
We must not buy their fruits
Who knows upon what soil they've fed
Their hungry, thirsty roots?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile

Since you're already worshiping Byed as "Thola", I nominate her as patron goddess for CastleMarkets.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 03:14:20 am by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is a really cool idea and i hope you continue it. I would advise altogether avoiding those giant hornets though just hope they go away. Also could you dorf or human me.

Ivan Mladić
Preferably a mace/shield user
I will type up a background for him once i finish some pre calc homwork
Hmm, problem. All of my current military are sword users. So, what do you want do? Adopt a sword guy, or get the next militia member (recruited from our current ranks, or from migrants, which will not arrive for a few seasons yet)?

I'd be appreciative of being humaned. A Mechanic, for preference, or a Jeweler otherwise.
Well, do you want our free Blacksmith? He's pretty good at mechanisms by now, though he's in line to join the Smith's Guild. Or, I can recruit a peon from our ranks or migrants.

Byed has very diverse interests.  Minotaurs must have a nice liberal arts curriculum.
No wonder she's our queen - she couldn't find any other work!  ;D

Since you're already worshiping Byed as "Thola", I nominate her as patron goddess for CastleMarkets.
Nomination accepted! I'll get some statues of her ready.

cheesemcmuffin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would be fine with taking a milita sword user. Sorry that Ivan's background is taking some time i really do hate calculus and i havent had any time at all to actually right something.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would be fine with taking a milita sword user. Sorry that Ivan's background is taking some time i really do hate calculus and i havent had any time at all to actually right something.
I'll give you Urik.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Autumn, year 6 - Kawe's diary

Well, the human traders left. We gave them a large quantity of Uhos's trinkets, and bought, among other necessities, a bar of ironbone. Gasom hurried off to forge it into a long sword, and presented it to Idil. He gave his old sword to one of his sword goons.

A wonderful idea of mine - to build a temporary bridge over the river with a large number of cage traps, in order to catch beasts and invaders that presume to .

Those miners! While expanding the pond, they fell in. Fortunately, the fools were able to swim out.

Hedgehogs of a great stature entered the area. Delighted at the chance to hunt something less dangerous, Idil charged off. The bone, meat and hide will be useful, I admit.

Gah! Raiding monkeys while the ninnyhammers were still prancing about attacking hedgehogs! The damn apes, grimacing terribly, threw fecal material at everything, and escaped unscathed. There were about 5-7.

We have captured a Giant Hedgehog! My traps were useful. Meph took a liking to the brute, and informed me it could be tamed.

[spoiler][/spoiler]
Some joker pushed me down the steps to our communal *shudder* bedroom. I have never liked these peasants.

More apes were revealed near the gate - our militia, finally with waterskins and backpacks (Idil has been complaining for weeks, the bumpkin), descended upon them and cut them apart. No survivors were left of the troup. Meph's war dogs are excelling themselves.

To my great surprise, a caravan of our short, odious, uncouth,  beer-swigging and Armok-worshipping cousins has arrived. They bought a fire turret, though we sadly cannot afford it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4