Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mandolin tabs for DF?  (Read 849 times)

svenshine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Mandolin tabs for DF?
« on: January 20, 2015, 11:50:47 pm »

So I've recently picked up a Mandolin; It's my first string instrument ever. The only other instruments I still play are Piano and Ocarina (used to play Clarinet, went state-wide).
I was looking at the DF tab thread http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=54611.0 but when I transpose the tab into 4 string I lose the bassline :(
I don't know if it's even possible to play DF on a Mando, or if it's just my retardation with TuxGuitar, but I'd love for someone to help me get my hands on a Mando tab for DF. I think it would sound Ducking awesome.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
Re: Mandolin tabs for DF?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 12:13:58 am »

As someone who's played both mandolin and classical guitar-- I think you'd have to either write a new arrangement or find yourself a mandocello to get it to work in the mando family. The mandolin just doesn't have enough strings or enough range to play song_game as it is. It would sound pretty cool if you could get something going, though.

svenshine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Mandolin tabs for DF?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 01:37:12 am »

I've been thinking about it and I think it could be done with a Duet. I think a Mandocello/Mandola or Mandocello/Mandolin combo would work the best.