Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33]

Author Topic: Dominions 4 - Round 11B (Medieval Boogaloo)  (Read 47827 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 - Round 11B (Medieval Boogaloo)
« Reply #480 on: April 17, 2015, 11:08:01 am »

Our scouts' throne reports:
3: V
5: V
13: V
23: V
25: M
35: V
42: V? (heavily guarded last time we scryed on it)
54: A
60: J
67: M
74: V
106: V
107: ? (scouts MIA)
110: A
127: P
134: M
139: M
143: V

That's 9 for Vanheim, assuming they still control 42. They just captured 106 and 3 this turn. Of course, they have only actually claimed 3 of them, but there is probably a reason for that. (Either because they can't do it quickly, or because they were hoping nobody would count them up until it was too late. Possibly they may not be able to claim them quickly, but they may have been able to increase their claiming speed significantly.)

A couple months ago, Marignon had taken many of those from Vanheim (which is when we began our intervention), so it's possible they could lose some of them before they can claim them all - unless Marignon can't find a way to stop Vanheim's skinshifters, of course.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 17, 2015, 03:54:03 pm »

(( I currently have Claimed 5 Thrones IIRC.

I will get to 7 or 8 Claimed this turn, I think, mainly as insurance against Marignon getting close to taking 9 Thrones from other sources with Archangels, which can then claim them the following turn.

It also lets me end the game quickly if it becomes too draining for too many people, or if I quite frankly just get bored. But this is invaluable experience in very late-game play, something I've never had the chance to do at all before.

...And yeah, I'm still quite annoyed that I'm 300 Skinshifters fewer for all this because of a stupid oversight. ))
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 03:56:30 pm by Hellheart »

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 23, 2015, 05:28:31 am »

From the Book of Ascension:

Two Vanjarls shall hold aloft their holy artifacts and claim two Thrones as one in the name of Jarlsberg Cheese. He will then sit upon the final Throne despite His hemorrhoids, and He will be filled with Divine Power and Ascend into the Heavens. From there, he will have better things to do than to look upon his Subjects, for which they will be grateful.

...May all that Has Been Written come to pass.

The Scary Clanking Blue Men and the Monkey Peoples looked upon His Ascension with Gratitude, for He had Spared them. The Cave-Dwelling Cyclops would have done the same had they Known how Instrumental He was to the Alliance that had saved them. The Tree could not look upon Him because its own branches obscured its Vision. Our Northern Brethren couldn't be Bothered to wake up and look upon Him with Awe, but they would have. The Fanatics and the Excessively Chatty Goblins looked upon him with anger and regret, for they had Aspired to the same lofty goals.

--------------------------

Good game, and I apologize if people felt that I'd been drawing it out for too long. I had access to The Steel Ovens in Old Forest (10) so I was forging Artifacts at 64% of the standard price, and there was an Alteration Bonus site in Secret Valley (6) that I would've used for Wish gem generation if I had the time to forge one more Astral booster. I would've probably been able to sweep everyone off the map if Wild Hunt didn't completely wreck my ability to Blood Hunt for several dozen turns.

The Income tab is very telling. My first few turns were very poor, but I eventually got Rovenhelm (65) which had 23k people at the time, and that gave me the income base I really needed to get up infrastructure and start massing Vanjarls. I continued to snipe high-income provinces whenever I could during my various wars to pull into the Income lead, and then taking over the sea really got me going. My income was somewhere around 5k for most of the last dozen turns. Designing Jarlsberg Cheese as a rainbow forger ended up paying off huge dividends when site searching and again once I hit Construction 8, and my Skinshifters pretty much wrecked everything they faced before the super-lategame.

Special thanks to Margrave for giving me a reason to RP as heavily as I did  :D

Oh, and because this was requested a long long time ago...

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:33:59 am by Hellheart »

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 23, 2015, 06:42:13 am »

Oh man the score graphs are horrible.  You can see exactly where I fucked up and got myself killed.  I was on top for awhile too :(
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 23, 2015, 06:48:32 am »

I think it all started going downhill when one of my Scouts noticed you had a ton of Heirophants sitting in a coastal province without a Fort...  :P

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 23, 2015, 08:49:38 am »

I was looking forward to fighting your armies with my new armies of massed cheap squishies buffed by Army of Lead, which I had 6 or so of and was pumping out at a rate of "as quickly as I can make more Oracles of the Ancients" (every 2 turns). I was using both magma children and zotz for them. They were rolling over Marignon's armies easily enough, but I expect those weren't the top-tier armies. Also, what looked like a "fair trade" in unit count really wasn't, if what died was expensive compared to the 2 ruby cost for 5 magma children. (Zotz are more expensive at 8 gold each)

I knew you had enough thrones even several turns ago (since I had two forts making just scouts every turn), though, but due to a lack of shared borders the best I could do was go for contested thrones.

Looking at the charts, the research chart show my crash research program. I built a fort in every province I owned mid-game, and they trained researchers until near the end of the game. I also crafted a bunch of lightless lanterns to speed research further. Once I was running out of researchable spells that I could actually cast, I switched them to making scouts and such instead. Of course a few trained other things.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 23, 2015, 09:53:04 am »

Jarlsberg Cheese was a high-level Astral Mage and I could forge all of the penetration boosters in the game, so I might have tried Arcane Domination. But I would've probably gone for my standard anti-army strategy instead: somewhere between 20 and 60 Vanjarls in Storm spamming Thunder Strike. They can only cast it 3 times each before they fatigue out, but that's an awful lot of AN magic.

Army of Lead also happens to give lightning vulnerability, which would've made the AOE 9 1+ AN damage from Thunder Strike effectively 6+ AN damage.

Margrave

• Bay Watcher
  • ...You up for a little unsanctioned mining?
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 23, 2015, 12:05:27 pm »

Well done! The Jotunn slumber after a rockin' party just in time to miss the climax. And it was really a rock party, one of the games being who can throw the biggest mountain.

I apologize for being nothing more than a stand in these last maybe 25 turns. After fighting Sceleria (and good lord I had no idea the chaff that they could conjure up for free!) all desire to continue playing as the Gentle Giants evaporated. They have potential but they're not what I enjoy playing.

Really the moment they stopped being a threat was the time to start making anti-Marge and anti-Cheese plans. I had Illwinter, Blood Vortex and that one water global that makes the seas impassable by sailing units all lined and immediately castable. But I never did.

I dithered with artifacts, I summoned hordes of useless crossbreeds just because I wanted to see the combinations. I conjured a King of Fire, Earth and 3 Demon Princes, I was sitting on a total of 5K gold and 150 blood slaves a turn ready to be used. I just didn't want to play with them.

Would I have won if I had tried? Probably not. But the worst part was that I didn't try and I'm sorry.
Either way though I'm glad to be a part of it even if I was a shadow at the end, although I cast a giant shadow.

Happy to help keep the spirit alive Hellheart. At least now his subjects don't have to laugh Hysterically at his jokes in person now. Just every time he gives them a commandment.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 23, 2015, 12:11:58 pm »

I wasn't anticipating 60 spellcasters in a battle, but I figured you would try to take advantage of that.

At some point during the game, regeneration from my nature bless stopped working on my sentinels and marble oracles. I assumed a patch was the cause, but I can't find any patch notes from later than February, or which mention making regeneration not affect lifeless units, which is what the in-game information says. (Now of course there's actually a reason to think about pretender paths/blesses for Agartha instead of just going with that)

P.S. What was it that you didn't like about Jotunheim, Margrave? I've haven't played them yet myself.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 12:19:35 pm by Shadowlord »

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 23, 2015, 05:49:51 pm »

Regeneration from the Nature Bless should work on Lifeless units. It's the only one that does, since it's not Limited Regeneration. Not sure what's up with that, maybe you should post on the bug thread and attach a .trn file showing what happened?

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 24, 2015, 06:46:53 am »

Hey Hellheart, you mentioned earlier about posting the contents of all your PM's.  Are you going to do that?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 24, 2015, 09:52:42 am »

Wasn't sure if anyone wanted to see them. These are JUST the PM's that contain RP, as there's roughly an equal number of OOC PM's and this is going to be super long as it is.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 24, 2015, 10:02:29 am »

Some of my favorite excerpts from the first couple of pages:

"We do not believe that we can defeat them in a Pitched Battle at this point in time. We suspect that you will find that fight to be more to your liking. Jarlsberg Cheese made an Amusing Reference to something called a "sardine" that was met with Uproarious Laughter. Of course, by Royal Decree all of Jarlsberg Cheese's jokes must be met with Uproarious Laughter."

"Jarlsberg Cheese claims this is because Skinshifters are "da bomb, yo." He is Trying to be more Hip to Appeal to the New Generation, but He does not Realize that he is using the Language of the Previous Generation."

"A number of our Citizens sailed over to a former Colony last month on a Peace Mission to ensure that our Colonists receive better Treatment. We did not Realize that some of those Citizens were Werewolves. Actually, it Appears as if ALL of the Citizens were Werewolves."

"We should probably Rein Them In at some point, but We cannot stay Angry with them when they give Us the Puppy Dog Eyes."

"Bakztab Iti believes that it is Her Time to Shine, except when she says "Shine" she really means the Opposite because she is a Storm Maiden.

...I know, I am Terrible at making Jokes. I will never experience the Pleasure when a Joke is met with Uproarious Laughter."

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 24, 2015, 12:06:33 pm »

Haha, nice read.  Yeah, I failed on the diplomacy front, for sure.

I am super happy you uplifted gimpy though.  Srsly.

That was fun, we should do another one.  I am not playing as pan though, as I have played as them twice now and I tire of it.

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 24, 2015, 05:28:29 pm »

I loved this game...sure...I was smashed to the ground at the end and it was clear that one of the two bigs will finish the thrones.

But at the start I was very gratefull for the peace agreement with the Cheese...it was way too close to my capital and my army was destroyed.
And after this Eriu conflict I was happy that I was part of the coalition...I never thought that I will be as big as I was before the Pangaea war. For the undead war against Sceleria I had no borders.
But this forest priest smasher from the Pnagaea spells were really a pain for me. I lost my god general 2 times and had only a frog at the end...so his magic paths doesn't fit to any usefull spells in the end.
And after the failed attack on the Pangaea fort I was very afraid about the big diplomatic silence ;)
And sure I was right...and it was a logical step...the attack of both big players...because they want the easy thrones and I was not really prepared for their way of attack.
But after all it was a better game as I first thought and I had learned much...thanks you all.
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Inactive Therian Saga Char: Stormhead
Dominions: 4.03 Berytos; 4.06 Pangaea; 4.08 Arcoscephale; 4.11 Shinuyama
Inactive Wurm Online Char: Stormhead
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33]