Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: NEWS FLASH: Dwarves Experimenting with Multi-Item Hauling  (Read 3699 times)

Minepow2

• Bay Watcher
  • Mystic Glyphs! Ooooo~!
    • View Profile
NEWS FLASH: Dwarves Experimenting with Multi-Item Hauling
« on: October 11, 2014, 06:52:46 pm »

Yesterday's development post by ToadyOne mentioned that he is experimenting with having dwarves haul multiple items at once. 

Thoughts? 
No comments to be found here! 

It was inevitable.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: NEWS FLASH: Dwarves Experimenting with Multi-Item Hauling
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 07:02:15 pm »

Heresy, everyone knows dwarves are too stupid to haul multiple items without bins.

In seriousness, this seems like it could be a wonderful thing. Would certainly make bringing trade goods to the depot a little easier when you're lacking bins.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 07:13:30 pm »

the future is now!
I really want broad hauling improvements   :(
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 07:14:13 pm »

Crossposting what I said in FotF

"It'll definetly help take some of the PITA out of cleaning up after a goblin siege where the dwarves will only carry one sock at a time (which is silly) or when they haul heavy bins when it would be more efficient to get several lighter items and take them to the bin."

It'll go a long way towards making hauling more efficient and logical.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 07:58:26 pm »

I think total success will be when a dwarf is constructing a wall, he/she grabs a bin and a wheelbarrow, collects all the necessary blocks, and brings them to each construction site, all in a single trip.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 04:59:34 am »

I think total success will be when a dwarf is constructing a wall, he/she grabs a bin and a wheelbarrow, collects all the necessary blocks, and brings them to each construction site, all in a single trip.

There's a rather easy way to make that happen now (place block stockpiles closer to your wallbase, and separate hauler and mason professions) but it would be pretty magical to have dwarfs auto-stockpile nearby large designations.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 09:20:22 am »

I wonder what the limitations will be for how much a dwarf can carry at once, or if they end up being able to carry as much as they please. Would be funny to see a dwarf haul around six whale corpses...
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 09:54:05 am »

Maybe it'd be dependant on the items? It'd be easier to haul a half dozen amulets and three pairs of pants than it would be to haul a whole suit of armor or a giant badger corpse.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 10:01:52 am »

One thing that is certain though is that there will be a good deal of fine tuning, there probably was a good deal of fine tuning when the current hauling system was implemented.

There just needs to be a balance between whether it's more efficient to haul a heavy bin to lighter objects or haul heavy stuff to the stockpile first or any variety of scenarios.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 12:17:00 pm »

I think it'll probably be a combination of an item limit and a limit on the slowest speed a dwarf is allowed to go while hauling multiple items. Dwarves will still happily haul slade boulders at 1 square per year, but they won't pick up two gabbro boulders to achieve that fantastically slow speed.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 12:39:13 pm »

I think it'll probably be a combination of an item limit and a limit on the slowest speed a dwarf is allowed to go while hauling multiple items. Dwarves will still happily haul slade boulders at 1 square per year, but they won't pick up two gabbro boulders to achieve that fantastically slow speed.

Would VS = (value of item)*(expected speed) be a useful measure for hauling? Compare current VS against projected if the dwarf picks up the item: if VS increases, pick it up, else don't. I think I would want my dwarves to maximise the throughput of haulage.
Unofficial Lazy Newb Pack 43.03, Dwarf Mode only
Favourite utilities, mods and hacks: TWBT and Stockpile Settings Management; Masterwork Dwarf Fortress
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 12:47:40 pm »

Would VS = (value of item)*(expected speed) be a useful measure for hauling? Compare current VS against projected if the dwarf picks up the item: if VS increases, pick it up, else don't. I think I would want my dwarves to maximise the throughput of haulage.

Not really because you have things like high quality gold/platnium statues decorated with silver, gold, emeralds, rubies, and sapphires that are also high quality which would be pretty high value while really heavy and at the same time you have 100k dorfbuck masterwork dwarven ale roasts which don't weigh all that much.

Plus, you're not even considering the items weight there, just value, which is of no help when Urist McHauler tries to haul 5 of those masterwork gold statues which are of high value.

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 01:22:47 pm »

Plus, you're not even considering the items weight there, just value, which is of no help when Urist McHauler tries to haul 5 of those masterwork gold statues which are of high value.

I thought that the expected speed calculation would take mass into account.
Unofficial Lazy Newb Pack 43.03, Dwarf Mode only
Favourite utilities, mods and hacks: TWBT and Stockpile Settings Management; Masterwork Dwarf Fortress
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 02:55:14 am »

Before everyone gets all excited, I thought this was just for gathering plants?
Magma is overrated.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 05:15:17 am »

Before everyone gets all excited, I thought this was just for gathering plants?

Too late.

However, with the framework in place, it may be a quick job to expand implementation. I am hyped.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??
Pages: [1] 2