Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [ETHIC:ABUSE COLOR:ACCEPTABLE] (crappy color templates inside)  (Read 4986 times)

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
[ETHIC:ABUSE COLOR:ACCEPTABLE] (crappy color templates inside)
« on: October 11, 2014, 09:00:15 pm »

Greatly inspired by Vherid, and through editing a couple of his sets to personal taste, I decided to do my own meager set of generally unusable color palletes.. Oversized screenshots and my poor attempt at catchy names follow:

A comparison screenshot using Phoebus stock colors (except magenta, I always swap it to purple..)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Brain Cheese

Rave Fungus

Candy Elephant

Red Armok (all-white except for red and light-red)

Azure Nightmare

Leprechaun Leather

Golden Shower (yeah yeah)

Western Rust (hoping for a sepia effect while avoiding being too similar to the above theme..)

Purple Pelt

Graybeard

Shady Paint (darkest colors I could bear)

Pastel Bleach (most pale colors I could bear)

Just copy/paste and replace the text in 'colors' notepad in the 'init' folder.. Anyway, maybe someone will find these semi-useful for screenshots or something :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 01:55:42 am by dwarf_reform »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [ETHIC:ABUSE COLOR:ACCEPTABLE] (crappy color templates inside)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 09:43:47 pm »

Eyecancer deluxe, well done. I really like the grey one and the grey/red one... very sin city-esque.   :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 09:51:05 pm »

wow I could not play with these at all

that said they're really good

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 10:21:31 pm »

You know... that azure one, coupled with a total conversion... all soils are ocean soil. All plants are algea. All animals are fish (but without aquatic tag), all rivers/streams are currents. That has potential.

You just pretend you are underwater... flying units can swim up/down z levels. Everyone gets NODRINK...

Hehe, you could totally make your own 'Atlantis vs. Rapture' mod. :D

Edit: Or you make a strong red-color hue, and make a demon total conversion, pretending that the surface is already the HFS, and the cavern layers are different levels of hell (think Dante Alighieri), and you set worldgen to have no bottom_layer, no real HFS. And then make all wildlife be lost souls, demons and such, and the invaders are angels. :P
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 10:24:02 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 10:47:30 pm »

And nobody (Nobody, even Vherid) makes sepia scheme. That's something i really don't understand. ::)
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Duerer TWBT tileset v.0.6.A

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 11:18:45 pm »

I shall leave the conversions to you and Putnam, muahahahaha ;) Thanks for the comments!! (now I just need a Deon, a TomiTapio, a Vherid, a Perdaxis, a falconne and a mifki, maybe even an Ironhand and Phoebus, and then I'll have a full set! Plus any other awesome people I missed, no offense! I guess Toady and Threetoe can be in 'the list' too ;) )

I was genning worlds and reading ocean biome names to my fiancee and 'The Purple Sea' showed up. She asked if that ocean was actually purple in-game, which I of course thought was a brilliant idea :D It'd be a pretty cool mechanic, adding in a shader function for the color-referencing biome names, if not a bit confusing (The Cerulean Desert's yellow sand appearing as blue, The Bloody Mountain having red marble, stuff like that.. Pretty much the same confusion the above color schemes create!)

I'll go whip up a sepia set, for great justice :> I originally thought about it, but figured the aptly named 'Golden Shower' theme was somewhat close to it.. Did my best to make them different, though it still seems a bit too brown overall for true sepia.. Updating post with the 'Western Rust' hopefully-sepia-enough set.. I'm also a fan of the Duerer set :D Always reminds me of old embossing/engraving :>
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 11:28:15 pm by dwarf_reform »

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 11:44:13 pm »

Not sepia, but good.
Oh btw, can you rearrange OP like in Vherid thread, i.e. with colour codes stored under each preview, not as list at the end
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 02:45:56 am »

I felt like the giant list was pretty cheap :> Reformatted! Took another stab at a sepia filter, not sure what to think..

EDIT: Oh wow, half asleep and I accidentally lost the code for the sepia above :O Too tired and copy/pasted over it reverting to regular Phoebus :( .. I could probably do it again though if needed..
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 03:56:14 am by dwarf_reform »

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 06:27:33 am »

Try this sepia
Code: [Select]
[BLACK_R:12]
[BLACK_G:7]
[BLACK_B:0]
[BLUE_R:115]
[BLUE_G:99]
[BLUE_B:86]
[GREEN_R:98]
[GREEN_G:73]
[GREEN_B:59]
[CYAN_R:102]
[CYAN_G:81]
[CYAN_B:67]
[RED_R:95]
[RED_G:69]
[RED_B:54]
[MAGENTA_R:68]
[MAGENTA_G:35]
[MAGENTA_B:20]
[BROWN_R:100]
[BROWN_G:77]
[BROWN_B:63]
[LGRAY_R:74]
[LGRAY_G:43]
[LGRAY_B:28]
[DGRAY_R:55]
[DGRAY_G:20]
[DGRAY_B:7]
[LBLUE_R:141]
[LBLUE_G:137]
[LBLUE_B:131]
[LGREEN_R:173]
[LGREEN_G:172]
[LGREEN_B:171]
[LCYAN_R:136]
[LCYAN_G:130]
[LCYAN_B:122]
[LRED_R:118]
[LRED_G:103]
[LRED_B:91]
[LMAGENTA_R:90]
[LMAGENTA_G:63]
[LMAGENTA_B:48]
[YELLOW_R:165]
[YELLOW_G:164]
[YELLOW_B:163]
[WHITE_R:211]
[WHITE_G:211]
[WHITE_B:210]

Spoiler: preview (click to show/hide)

P.S. a question here: is there a GUI tool to quickly edit colors.txt files? I use hand drawn pixel palette in photoshop and then translating it to text by bare hand
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 06:43:15 am by HaterSkater »
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 07:32:07 am »

P.S. a question here: is there a GUI tool to quickly edit colors.txt files? I use hand drawn pixel palette in photoshop and then translating it to text by bare hand

Not that I know of. The trivial part would be to extract rgb values as text from .ACO/.ACT or image files. But I don't know in what order ACO/ACT store swatches, so you would still have to manually assign rgb values to DF colors.

From a quick google search it seems there are a few scripts that convert images to text files with rgb values.

There's also this: http://www.hping.org/aco2html/
which takes Photoshop swatch files (.ACO, export under swatches>save) and converts them into a nice html page.
It's probably the best starting point if you want to create a tool that outputs DF color.txt files. You'd still have to have a way to tell the program which rgb values are which DF color. No idea what a good way to do this would be.
ACO/ACT documentation here:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet-apps/photoshop/fileformatashtml/#50577411_pgfId-1070626
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Vanst7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 01:47:32 pm »

I'm liking the Red Armok one. I can see myself going into adventure mode, trying to paint everything in red. ^^

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 04:10:01 am »

There is two issues in your schemes i just had found via PyLNP:
— value of [GREEN_G] is missing in "Azure Nightmare", and it seems like it shouldn't be zero  :)
— lines after [LCYAN_G:154] are missing in "Western Rust"
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 02:53:43 pm »

Rave Fungus is absolutely gorgeous.  Unfortunately, it kind of confused me to no end haha