Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The new combat, ughh  (Read 5318 times)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
The new combat, ughh
« on: October 11, 2014, 10:13:48 pm »

Every single fight, I get owned. Enemies seem to move and attack faster than me no matter what, even if I'm an elf with superelven agility and basically no encumbrance. I'll basically miss every single attack for a few rounds, get chipped, and then get a page or so of goblins hacking me to death. I was decent in 34.11, but this newer version beats my ass every time. Anyone have any tips for me?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
Re: The new combat, ughh
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 10:41:12 pm »

Even in the newer versions, nobody fights me.
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 10:44:38 pm »

I tend to go for the feet first, to make enemies go prone.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 12:17:45 am »

Yeah, I know that. My 34.11 attack pattern was going for the feet (or legs, depending on which was easier to hit) until I wounded one, then hands to remove any weapons, then the remaining foot, then whatever I felt like. I just can't understand why I get hit so many times despite the fact that I'm attacking while opponents are recovering and I *should* be much, much faster.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 12:29:03 am »

I dont know what you are talking about tbh. I think the new system with multiattacks/quick attacks followed by dodging is clearly giving the player the edge. Simply because you can pick what is the best in every situation and stick to it instead of just randomly doing everything like the ai.

Specially since the new ai seems to be not functioning properly lately when it comes to understanding who is attacking you and who is not.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 01:06:54 am »

Combat speed and movement speed are 100% seperate now.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 02:41:08 pm »

I think when you attack and miss, opponent recovery is over and you're open for the counter. Your level of defense, with a penalty added since they can counter/you're overextended is now versus their level of attack. Somewhat like when you're tired or drowsy, your parry/block drops a level, due to the tired/drowsy penalty.

Some of the other guys here probably have a more accurate view on this. Particularly combat ticks and fractional ticks in relation to your attributes/their attributes, your weapon's attack/recover and weapon mass, plus presence or absence of penalties (for tired, drowsy, positions back and side) being combat speed for that move. I guess that last sentence was where my forest of ignorance begins. Or it may have been when I began to reply.

Does anyone know how many fractional ticks there are in one full tick? Or how many "," in one "."?

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 04:30:59 pm »

Does anyone know how many fractional ticks there are in one full tick? Or how many "," in one "."?

IIRC reading from an official source that "," waits for 1 moment, and "." waits for 10 moments. Might have been the devblog.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 06:18:17 pm »

Can you go into full detail about your build and load-out?

Also tell us a little bit about who you are fighting. Random goblin bandits in the wilderness, or warlords at camps? How are they armed? ect.

I have been pretty successful with the new system, but need details before I can comment.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 12:57:32 am »

I usually start as a Demigod w/maxed Strength and Agility. iirc, Above Average Toughness, Endurance, and Willpower, and High Spatial and Kinesthetic Sense with everything else dumped to some extent except Disease Resistance. I start with Talented Dodger and Shield User, then usually as high as I can go with a weapon after allocatting points for Reader and Swimmer. One character had Wrestler instead with the same results. I'm fighting gobbos when I invariably get ambushed.
GM of Trespassers V2.

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 01:46:49 pm »

Are any of them warlords or master skilled? Your elfish weapons aren't wood, are they?

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 05:35:29 pm »

One game in particular, I had full metal equipment in the tree I spawned in. That didn't really change the outcome at all, other than slightly delaying my death. Parries/etc were unaffected.
GM of Trespassers V2.

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 03:03:54 pm »

If you are going to run an elf, I suggest starting a fort first. Craft a full set of iron or steel armor and weapons. Then retire it. Go back to the fort in adventure mode and retrieve the gear. You will never find good gear as an elf or dwarf without doing this.

When fighting enemies, if the game tells you that they are currently attacking, don't attack into them. Dodge, block or parry instead.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 11:33:15 pm »

Protips:

- Try to parry or block your opponent's attacks manually. It's more consistent and leaves them open.
- If you can lead your opponent in the right direction, try predicting where they're moving and jump at that spot. If you time it right, you'll bowl them over before they can react.
- If an opponent is attacking you, jumping straight at them will generally negate the weapon strike and can produce good results.
- If the fight is at Lethal or lower, submitting (Y) can end the fight and let you escape unscathed.
- Experiment with arson. An adventurer I had once was ambushed by some master bandits on the way to a city. After the crossbowmaster all but destroyed my sword arm, I killed him with kung fu and subsequently finished off the spearmasters by leading them into bushes and setting the bushes on fire.
- Practice in arena mode. It works!
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 04:34:12 pm »

As an elf, be careful when charging into enemies, especially larger humans. Remember that this game models physics and elves are smaller.
Pages: [1] 2