Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The new combat, ughh  (Read 5317 times)

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
Re: The new combat, ughh
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 01:33:19 am »

I usually start as a Demigod w/maxed Strength and Agility. iirc, Above Average Toughness, Endurance, and Willpower, and High Spatial and Kinesthetic Sense with everything else dumped to some extent except Disease Resistance. I start with Talented Dodger and Shield User, then usually as high as I can go with a weapon after allocatting points for Reader and Swimmer. One character had Wrestler instead with the same results. I'm fighting gobbos when I invariably get ambushed.
Based on the above your character roughly looks like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Without any points in Armor, full armor will slow you down and can allow opponents to attack more often within a turn/full tick. For Observer, without points here, many times you won't be able to tell what kind of attack is being made. That makes the result of choosing to block/dodge/parry a bit more random. It's interesting like that, but it's better to know and choose to dodge a grab/charging attack or block a strike.

One other thing about playing a counter attack game is using the comma key "," which is a fractional tick, mentioned by Nikow. Once you've successful blocked, dodged or parried, your opponent enters their recovery period. Using the comma key moves combat slightly forward during your opponent's recovery period and here you'll be able to check your position relative to his/hers by choosing to attack. The general attack menu will show they're recovering. From here, choose to strike to get the body parts attack menu. If you get a good green choice, take it. If not repeat and press comma again. Within the span of your opponent's recovery period, the body parts attack menu can change many times, until you return to the point where the game is telling you your opponent has resumed attacking, and you go back to block/parry/dodge again.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 08:49:44 am »

If you are plaing vanilla, look and small green cross or red dash (after chance to hit and how good it will land). If you will choose '-', most likely you will be unable to make good move in next move and you will be easier to hit by enemy. '+' will give you more chances in next move, '!' are special, critical moves.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 06:05:33 am »

Does anyone know how many fractional ticks there are in one full tick? Or how many "," in one "."?

IIRC reading from an official source that "," waits for 1 moment, and "." waits for 10 moments. Might have been the devblog.

Ummm...wasn't I the one who said that here? Repeating what Toady had said, BTW.

EDIT: Though I didn't mention the counterattack game, just answering a question, while your linked post does go into detail about said "game". I should stop posting at 4AM
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 06:07:40 am by TruePikachu »
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 06:29:31 pm »

Ummm...wasn't I the one who said that here? Repeating what Toady had said, BTW.

EDIT: Though I didn't mention the counterattack game, just answering a question, while your linked post does go into detail about said "game". I should stop posting at 4AM

I've made 4AM my new normal mind state, possibly good only for me.

And yes, I agree. I should be jabbed for calling it a counterattack game, when it's just situational, which sounds more apt (this way I can avoid being jabbed some times). I think you're countering when you see (Distant/Starting/Incoming/Imminent or no descriptor at all) Attacking you with (Adjective=none/heavy/precise) WEAPON/BODY PART, aiming for X," and then you choose to multi-attack (just 2) off of that.
(EDIT: while I did write the above while fairly rested, I'll make the edit slightly drowsy. It may make more sense)

More DF2014 combat goodness found here with zombies.

These other two links on shield and dodge are from 34.11, but are worth reading as well. Some things may have changed, but these are worth thinking about. Or at least I think so.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 12:21:30 am by a smiling bearded cretin »

smithms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 05:06:08 am »

I'm not certain about movement speed and combat being 100% separate.  I always do better in combat if I set my movement speed up to sprint.  I can block multiple attacks per round and I see things as "incoming" or "IMMINENT" as opposed to an after action report.

I question the caps on stats as well.  From what I understand, your attributes are capped at twice your starting value.  I still can't seem to get my movement speed above 3.3.  I would think that starting with maximum stats in strength and agility would give me a huge boost after training them up.  Additionally, I have a vampire character who doesn't move faster than 3.3.  From the wiki, I thought that strength and agility were doubled for vampires.  So I assumed that an unencumbered character who'd become a vampire would be able to move much faster than a regular dwarf with maxed stats.  That doesn't seem to be the case.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 11:56:38 am »

As that guy over there said: Aim for the feet. It seems like it's their weak spot. It looks like everytime i hit them in the feet, even with the most weak attack, they pass out, making the fight a lot easier.

mastamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2014, 05:47:22 pm »

sprint speeds up combat moves, so a mad dash towards the enemy pays off
(and you have a charged jump ready when you need to get out of the shit or finish someone)

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2014, 06:15:37 pm »

I've barely adventured in these newer versions.. I keep hoping Toady will add realism to campfires :> Anyway, this thread is tempting me to get out there and try my luck (with physics in mind!).. So far I just had a bit of fun jumping at/on enemies (or neutral folks), and at that point I had no idea that running significantly expands the jump distance radius and very likely enhances your lethality as a dwarven cannonball ;)

I'd also assume a running attack would have more impact than a stationary??

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 01:37:07 pm »

Be wary, sprinting can make you exhausted very, very quickly.
._.

NoobKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2014, 12:17:41 pm »

What are the elf/human size proportions? Is it like large elf = small human?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2014, 06:01:23 pm »

What are the elf/human size proportions? Is it like large elf = small human?
Elf:
Code: [Select]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:3000] - Newborn size = 3000
[BODY_SIZE:1:168:15000] - ≈ 1˝ year old size = 15000
[BODY_SIZE:12:0:60000] - 12 year old (adult) size = 60000
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:75:95:98:100:102:105:125] - Possible percent multipliers, equally likely
From this we gather that the heights of an adult elf are proportional to body sizes of 45000, 57000, 58800, 60000, 61200, 63000, and 75000 cm^3.

Human:
Code: [Select]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:4000]
[BODY_SIZE:1:168:17500]
[BODY_SIZE:12:0:70000]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:75:95:98:100:102:105:125]
The heights of an adult human are proportional to body sizes of 52500, 66500, 68600, 70000, 71400, 73500, and 87500 cm^3.

The broadness multipliers happen to use the same percentages as the height modifiers, so we can assume elves are on average a bit thinner than humans, and so a size-to-height comparison is valid. From this we can conclude that the tallest adult elf is taller than all but the tallest adult human. Furthermore, the shortest human is shorter than all but the shortest elf.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 12:53:46 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 [2]