Poll

This game is dead!

Hahahahahaha!
- 7 (41.2%)
Nooooooooooo!
- 10 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 350

Author Topic: Ye Gods 1 OOC [21/∞] Talk here  (Read 409940 times)

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
Ye Gods 1 OOC [21/∞] Talk here
« on: October 12, 2014, 08:16:58 pm »

YG links: Old YG IC | Old YG OOC | New YG IC | New YG OOC

Rule questions, new entries, miscellaneous conversations, unofficial proposals, random ideas, Essence price quotes, and art go here.

War stuff: Go to http://kilojouleproton.net84.net/ . Report any issues with the site (as it is probably unstable)

For new players:
Character sheets should probably follow this template:
Code: [Select]
Name:
Sphere:
Primary form/associated symbol:
Description/Background:

You may optionally PM secret (or not-so-secret) goals of grand scale, e.g. an entropy player wishing to bring about a very early heat death. Eliminating your sphere's
opposite is not secret enough to require a PM (but you may as well send them anyway because they take up almost no space).

Please be sure to read the Mechanics section and Council rules

Spoiler: Mechanics (click to show/hide)

Current Council voting rules

These are all subject to addition, removal, and change by you. They can effect changes in the game's core rules (mechanics), administrative laws (voting requirements, seniority privilegs, &c.) or the natural rules (light does not exist, gravity is repulsive, giant animals can fly like birds, &c.).

An active player is defined as a player who has posted within the thread within the last two (2) UTC days.

A bill must be supported by at least 50% of active players to pass if unopposed.

A bill must achieve 60% support in order to pass if opposed.

Players may flame the host if he has been inactive for at least two (2) UTC days.

Proposals and voting
Bold or underline your plus votes and your minus votes.

Make a summary of your proposals in outline form or in comprehensive paragraphs. Otherwise, it gets a bit difficult finding out exactly what you want.

Proposal results will not appear until at least a major tick has passed.

Realism
Physics: The level of physics realism in this game will depend on you (pl.) and you actions. There is no easily definable minimum, but the maximum amount of realism is probably "Physics without substantial linear algebra."

Causality: If you can mess with it well enough (i.e. without implausible contradictions), it goes in. PMing me when setting up time loops would be nice.

Realist grittiness in general: As with physics, it depends on you (pl.). Hopefully, no one will complain if the setting becomes fantastic enough to have magic and something like an energy-free fast desalination technique appears.

Magic and attunements
This is how you estimate their costs:
System: Low 1-2 < High 1-2 < Low 2-3 < High 2-3
Basic regular humanoid: High 2-3
Universal: +1 step (manipulating raw magic, difficult to master but can theoretically perform any other thing)
Divine: +1 step (using the gods' spheres and belief to perform miracles)
Celestial: +1 step (using the Constellations, stars, and moons to do interesting things based on the current sign and stuff.)
Musical: +1 step (song magic or even poetic magic)
Illusion: +2 step (deception, fooling the senses, invisibility, and more)
Psymental: +2 step (manipulating others' minds)
Ritual: +2 step (performing rituals to get more powerful things to notice and help)
Enchanting: +2 step (creating magical artifacts)
Eldritch: +2 step (? ? ?)
Elemental: +3 step (creating heat and cold and stuff)
Necromancy: +3 step (playing with souls)
Dimensional: +3 Essence (creating portals or sending items)
Cosmic: +5 Essence +1 step (stuff gods do on a smaller scale because their puny mortal souls would burn out)

Total magic immunity: +5 Essence. Note that this severely inhibits the ability of the subject to perform magic. You can opt to pay less for reduced magic resistance.

Universal: This is hard to master (less focused) but can potentially replicate any other class of magic
Divine: The working of miracles from the gods. Belief is necessary for decent results and typically supplies the Essence for the action.
Celestial: This covers using the Constellations and moons and other stars to exploit them, whether to help or hurt.
Musical: This covers not only music but also poetry. It probably extends to inspirational speeches, morale-depleting speeches, powered-up one-liners, and stuff like that. So it's music but mostly not music.
Psymental: This is typical psionics business, including telekinesis, reading minds, manipulating minds, and stuff like that.
Ritual: This covers consuming/using multiple people (with varying degrees of literality) to boost actions.
Necromancy: This covers manipulations performed on souls. In many civilizations, use of necromancy is probably a taboo.
Elemental: Mostly just playing with classical elements
Dimensional: Creating/destroying/modifying portals and pocket dimensions, transporting stuff, traveling through space, traveling through time (if justified. PM first.). Probably difficult because of its power level.
Cosmic: Doing things you do as gods on a small scale. Mortal souls are not equipped to handle the energy requirements and may end up getting permanently destroyed when they try to do too much.
Enchantment: Infusing items with magic for various effects
Eldritch: Void stuff?

Attunements to any of these only make magic easier (but by a lot). They do not restrict learned skill.

Miscellaneous

Peace Mode: There will be a major update around 00:00 UTC (17:00 PDT or 20:00 EDT) every day and a minor update around 12:00 UTC (05:00 PDT or 08:00 EDT) on days when I actually can wake up that early. The major updates are when the interesting things happen and the minor updates will likely be little more than glorified summaries.

War Mode: There will be one guaranteed major update around 00:00 UTC (17:00 PDT or 20:00 EDT) every day until the war site is running, at which point they will most likely become more frequent. War mode secret information will be distributed at http://kilojouleproton.net84.net/ . Players will all receive messages with passphrases for the site after the content has been uploaded.

Terms I throw around to save time:
ACK: Acknowledged
Queued: Action request has been added to the action queue
*NCU: Not Canon Unless you want to make it so
Something something* (but without a footnote-like note): See *NCU
*Something something (but without a footnote-like note): See *NCU
Captain Ersatz: I know all of you probably find work X super interesting, but can we put a stop to references or tone them down? It's true that there's nothing new, but part of the point of this game is to create, and copying existing characters and things seems against the spirit of it (but mostly, I just don't want to end up in a copyright mess, however fair use and parody work in a given country).
IC: In-character. Debate, rage, create, or something else. If things escalate, make sure it's clear that the escalation is only between characters and not players.
OOC: This means Out of Character. Not Half-Wearing Character as I often do with jackets but completely Out of Character. If we were to send a sample of OOC text and IC text to a random person, they should seem very different not only in identity but also in mood.
OOC thread: Here, you post calmly and avoid using too much snark (mostly for efficiency). I guess you can also discuss random things, but your character stays on the Game thread and in action PMs. Arrogance, excessive competitiveness, and not completely separating player and character are all grounds for a warning.
Plot armor: The DeityManager reserves the right to keep this creation in existence for as long as he suspects it will add to the plot. It basically goes to zero if you do things like annoy other players (and probably their characters too) by, e.g. stomping their creations with the disapproval of the DM.
Price: Does not always scale with power
Price check: A typical price check includes 1). $$$, 2). a little bit of fluff so I know what you're talking about, and 3). a more mechanics-oriented description of the item you want a quote for. If I detect multiple obvious attempts at creating overpowered things, you will get a warning.
Thetis' folly: Focusing too much on your creations' weaknesses and patching them up. If you patch up a weakness one way, an onlooker will find a way to make another one two ways or something like that. Focus on exploiting their strengths and everyone will be happier and more interested. Remember that your creations are never completely invincible.
Unique: This makes replicating the creation almost impossible by way of increased price. It grants minor plot armor, defined above.
Warning: This is a friendly reminder to stop a specific behavior. Three warnings render your character inactive for a tick and more are left to the DM's discretion

Judgments on whether something breaks a rule are reserved for me. Complaints go to me by PM.

Derivative works: Go for it!  :)
  • Attribution not required
  • Some hidden stuff available on request
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 04:49:46 am by Kilojoule Proton »

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Gods OOC
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 08:22:25 pm »

Can we like make rule that everyone gain more power each tick?
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 08:25:55 pm »

There was already mention of ambient essence gain, although I admit being unaware of the exact current mechanic behind it. I wouldn't really like too much of an automatic essence gain because it would negate a large part of the worship mechanic and the need to find other creative ways of obtaining essence.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 08:27:33 pm »

Yes, but it would be like printing more money. All the prices would go up in relative value, possibly disproportionately because of rounding shortcuts and the extra bookkeeping.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Gods OOC [11/∞] Sign up/talk here
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 08:46:24 pm »

(Also, it would be wise to ask for an Essence quote on OOC before performing any non-minor/non-trivial actions.)

To witch part? The reincarnation, the multiple races, the afterlife, or something someone else mentioned? I always thought we would make a perfect plan then cut out everyone's least favorite parts until we have something palatable.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 08:50:14 pm »

(Also, it would be wise to ask for an Essence quote on OOC before performing any non-minor/non-trivial actions.)

To witch part? The reincarnation, the multiple races, the afterlife, or something someone else mentioned? I always thought we would make a perfect plan then cut out everyone's least favorite parts until we have something palatable.
Whichever one. As long as you do not ask frivolously (e.g. something hundreds of assorted requests in an hour), I promise to always provide a price or a reasonable estimate. It might also be a good idea to flag a price request somehow (e.g. heading it with something easily searchable like @@@) if this thread ever gets long.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 08:51:47 pm »

Whichever one. As long as you do not ask frivolously (e.g. something hundreds of assorted requests in an hour), I promise to always provide a price or a reasonable estimate. It might also be a good idea to flag a price request somehow (e.g. heading it with something easily searchable like @@@) if this thread ever gets long.

$$$ Would make more since.

While I am posting, about how much would an ageless humanoid race that reincarnates be?

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 08:54:05 pm »

Ageless?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 08:57:05 pm »

Uhh Immortal. Unaging. Grows to be an adult then stops.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 08:58:22 pm »

Yea, immortal sans death from combat, accident, assassination etc.
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 09:04:13 pm »

$$$Response
While I am posting, about how much would an ageless humanoid race that reincarnates be?

Around 1-30 individuals: 6
Around 30-300 individuals: 7

I feel I should warn you about the diminished Worship output from such a creation

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 09:11:25 pm »

I feel I should warn you about the diminished Worship output from such a creation

Like you said, we where relying on worship too much anyway. We have spheres of influence we can use to gain influence over them.
How much influence do you get by your sphere being shown in the world, as opposed to worshipers?

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 09:14:56 pm »

Like you said, we where relying on worship too much anyway. We have spheres of influence we can use to gain influence over them.
How much influence do you get by your sphere being shown in the world, as opposed to worshipers?
It depends heavily on the coverage of your sphere (the domain, not the shape), which is kind of hard to quantify. Unless you are excellent at manipulating the others, it is probably a bit slower than using worshippers. I justify this with the fact that a bunch of the most powerful beings in assorted mythologies seem to be slumbering or too apathetic about people.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 10:13:33 pm »

$$$

Price check on creating different dimensions? "Normal" mortal worlds? A relatively mundane, presumably medium-lived mortal race?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 10:30:49 pm »

$$$Response
$$$

Price check on creating different dimensions? "Normal" mortal worlds? A relatively mundane, presumably medium-lived mortal race?
A dimension for spirits and incorporeals:
  • A personal (godinal?) unpopulated dimension aligned to your sphere: 2 Essence
  • Ditto but cross-aligned: 3 Essence
  • Grand unpopulated realm (at least one aligned god) (e.g. singular afterlife for all in the world): 15
  • Grand unpopulated realm (cross-aligned to all gods): 19

A mundane dimension (for corporeals):
  • A personal (godinal?) unpopulated dimension aligned to your sphere: 4 Essence
  • Ditto but cross-aligned: 5 Essence
  • Grand unpopulated realm (at least one aligned god) (e.g. singular afterlife for all in the world): 23
  • Grand unpopulated realm (cross-aligned to all gods): 29

A mortal race: 2 Essence for up to around 300 individuals,
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 10:35:46 pm by Kilojoule Proton »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 350