Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17

Author Topic: Glovedloved - The Mountain of Kings [DISCUSSION & COMMENTS]  (Read 19704 times)

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CHAPTER 1] Glovedloved - The Mountain of Kings - A twisted Dwarven society
« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2014, 09:14:48 am »

I can't wait to start RPing on this.

Also, I had an idea: the Mountain will, of course, have a balcony for the King to decree things from, but there should also be a room somewhere discreet, constantly guarded of course, where agents of the aristocracy receive their orders. It doesn't have to actually exist, especially since it has no actual in-game value, but it would be nice for RP.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2014, 09:22:19 am »

I was actually planning to build such a balcony if it hadn't already been built by somebody else.

I've also got several other projects in mind that should make life for the aristocracy both cozy, and secluded from the masses.

Hopefully I'll be able to pull off even a fraction of them.

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2014, 09:27:25 pm »

Okay... I will admit to being a little twitchy now.  :(

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40.13]Glovedloved - The Mountain of Kings - A twisted Dwarven society
« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2014, 12:53:38 pm »

My two cents; the hammerer should be both very strong and armed with a capable hammer. Peasants should not be spared!
definitely need to do this.  but what if a mountain dweller is convicted of ignoring a mandate?

The aristocracy fears only derision.  When an aristocrat is found guilty of ignoring a mandate, they should be given a suitably snarky nickname and have to haughtily ignore the sniggers and sidelong looks that will accompany their life of luxury among the peerage.  It worked for the court of Louis XIV "the Sun King" who had a similar setup to the one we're seeing here.
  They even had their own version of a forest titan known as "The Beast of Gevaudan"!
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2014, 01:01:10 pm »

The challenge of building a character so paradoxical is quite compelling, so I'm trying to keep absolutely everything in the generated character description while still holding to the persona.  I think I've got it mostly sorted, but still needs a bit of work.

A woman who, to her own mind, is empathetic and fair yet furthers an elitist society where systemic cruelty is the daily business is a neat character to write.  Furthering suffering because it is what the people actually need to unlock their full potential.  To take, destroy, beat, and kill all in the name of humanitarianism (dwarfitarianism?), while suffering the necessity that some must be sacrificed to the luxury of an incomplete life so that they may lead with their vision.  Schopenurist was right:  Life without pain is meaningless.  The sacrifice of the leading elite is that they must eventually succumb to that ultimate lack of substance.

Does this sound like Dark Ages Catholicism to anyone else? (The King is a King because God wants him to be, and so is the serf: "A place for everyone and everyone in their place.")

The fact that she also abhors nature yet loves being outside will lead to a very interesting complex.  I foresee quite a bit of paving the countryside during her term.  I guess her war against the trees makes sense, though.
...and this is how "English Gardens" begin being part of the culture...

L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2014, 01:18:22 pm »

Does this sound like Dark Ages Catholicism to anyone else? (The King is a King because God wants him to be, and so is the serf: "A place for everyone and everyone in their place.")

I'll admit to using several Catholic and Anglican English rulers as a model for TacoMagic.  You might notice parallels to Charles I in particular.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:20:22 pm by Tacomagic »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 20, 2014, 05:09:53 pm »

I'll admit to using several Catholic and Anglican English rulers as a model for TacoMagic.  You might notice parallels to Charles I in particular.
ah so your eventual execution is gauranteed?  ;D
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2014, 05:56:53 pm »

ah so your eventual execution is gauranteed?  ;D

Well, this is Dwarf Fortress, so expecting to get killed by another dwarf is just playing the odds.

I mean, sure, it would be better if I were on fire and throwing myself from the balcony, but we can't all have that quality of death.

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 21, 2014, 07:40:24 am »

Um...
you'll get part 2 and 3 and probably the save by tomorrow.

Any status update, Nordinkel? :-\

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 21, 2014, 08:33:32 am »

Given what we've heard, I'm betting Nord is having network access issues.  Since we don't know how long he'll be suffering from lack of connectivity, maybe developing a plan B is in order?

If we don't hear back from him by Friday, maybe we can band together and start planning the spiritual successor?

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 21, 2014, 08:45:23 am »

If we don't hear back from him by Friday, maybe we can band together and start planning the spiritual successor?
That could be workable. Is there a way to effect the genders of the embark groups?

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 21, 2014, 08:50:01 am »

That could be workable. Is there a way to effect the genders of the embark groups?

With DFHack, yes.  It's pretty easy, actually.

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 22, 2014, 05:55:11 am »

Don't want this to disappear from the first page of games!

Also, if someone could give me the directions to set the genders, I could play the first year, though I do use a tileset...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 05:56:57 am by Chimerat »

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 22, 2014, 09:49:37 am »

Go to the unit list.  Select a dwarf (but do not "view" it).

Go into the DFHack command window and enter the command: gui\gm-editor

Back at the main DF window, go down to where it says "sex"  Enter a 0 for Female and a 1 for male.

You might also want to tweak the orientation flags when you change the gender.  Those are in status > current_soul > orientation flags.

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 22, 2014, 12:58:08 pm »

You might also want to tweak the orientation flags when you change the gender.  Those are in status > current_soul > orientation flags.
Does anyone have preferences?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17