Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sieges - Stepladders  (Read 4837 times)

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sieges - Stepladders
« on: October 13, 2014, 09:22:06 pm »

Should invaders use the new stepladder concept to climb up de ramped walls?
I mean, since climbing is already in the game it makes it somewhat redundant, although it could be a way to counter smoothed walls.
At most, it'd probably only make you build walls an extra layer higher, so again it's pretty redundant.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ <-- Update feed
Actual stepladder information in spoiler.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sieges - Stepladders
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 11:05:32 am »

It might be helpful for Toady to figure out siege AI with the step ladders and then generalize the AI when multi-level ladders are implemented... Or it might be easier for Toady to wait until multi-level ladders exist.
One problem I see is that if a fixed ladder height exists, player will just build their walls two levels higher.  For it to properly work in sieges, there probably needs to be a range of possible ladder heights, with a trade-off of weight and setup time.

Heh, just had a funny mental image of each years siege bringing ladders just long enough to reach the walls of the previous year... only to find each year that the player has made their walls one level higher. 
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 12:10:22 pm »

Siegers with ladders are definitely planned already:

Coming up with a plan to overcome pathing obstacles to reach fortress innards
     Ability to dig (optionally, default on)
     Ability to build bridges/ramps
     Ability to use grappling hooks/ladders/climb

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 05:58:41 pm »

When a dwarf is standing on the ladder, they appear one z-level above it
So basically a dwarf standing on a stepladder would tower over a Bronze Colossus? I smell issues with scale and size coming up.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 06:05:59 pm »

If size and z levels are eventually done so size makes more than a 1x1x1 image, we'll have dragons as big as our map, if dwarves remain the scale for 1x1x1.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

dwarf_sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 05:55:00 pm »

If size and z levels are eventually done so size makes more than a 1x1x1 image, we'll have dragons as big as our map, if dwarves remain the scale for 1x1x1.
According to the wiki, a dragon is 25,000,000 cm^3. Converting into m^3 equals 25 m^3, which is a square 2.92 m on every side. So...no dragons the size of a map. Not even larger than 1 square.

If one square equals one dwarf size (60,000), then a dragon would only be 7.5 times bigger along a length, and that's if we make the dwarf a fat square. If the dwarf is taller than it is wide, this would shrink accordingly. So...still no dragons the size of a map but the dragon would be 7+ z-levels high. Better get a big step ladder.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 06:38:26 pm by dwarf_sadist »
Critical hit! It's super effective!

"You scratch the Giant Tiger in the Upper Body, tearing the muscle, shattering the right false rib and tearing apart the heart! An artery has been opened by the attack! A major artery in the heart has been opened by the attack! A tendon in the false right rib has been torn!"

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 06:07:21 pm »

Well it was quite a bit of an exageration. I doubt we'll ever get more than 1x1x1 units.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

dwarf_sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 06:37:52 pm »

Well it was quite a bit of an exageration. I doubt we'll ever get more than 1x1x1 units.
I don't know, a giant sperm whale might be big enough for 2x2x1, or 3x2x1. And I can see Giant Sponges becoming several x levels, somewhat like a Xarquid from X-Com:TFTD.

As for walls becoming larger, you just have to get creative:
http://compliance.safetysmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/ladderlunacy.jpg
http://www.dumpaday.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/ladder-fail.jpg
http://faxo.com/changing-a-light-bulb-safety-fail-15671
http://www.failfunnies.com/32/pages/landscaping-fail.html

Incidentally, I wonder if a Dwarf ladder has a warning sticker on the top step.

"You scratch the Giant Tiger in the Upper Body, tearing the muscle, shattering the right false rib and tearing apart the heart! An artery has been opened by the attack! A major artery in the heart has been opened by the attack! A tendon in the false right rib has been torn!"

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 08:36:27 pm »

This is a Dwarven stepladder.  It has four parts, and all four of them are top steps.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 09:32:41 pm »

giant sperm whale is 15x15x15 if a dwarf is 1x1x1

Or perhaps more realistically proportioned 28x11x11 or so.

The REALLY scary thing is that a giant moose is like 4x4x4 or something.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 09:39:52 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

dwarf_sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 07:07:59 pm »

giant sperm whale is 15x15x15 if a dwarf is 1x1x1

Or perhaps more realistically proportioned 28x11x11 or so.

The REALLY scary thing is that a giant moose is like 4x4x4 or something.
Except square is NOT the size of a dwarf, it is larger. Otherwise, you could only fit one dwarf in a square, and you would not be able to fit a wheelbarrow in a square if it had a dwarf stuffed into it. A square is AT LEAST twice the size of a dwarf.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 04:06:50 am »

1 square is approximately 2x2x3 meters :>

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 04:42:52 am »

WAR STEP LADDERS. THE ULTIMATE SEIGE ENGINE.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 11:30:49 am »

This is a Dwarven stepladder.  It has four parts, and all four of them are top steps.

I'm sigging this.  :)
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

dwarf_sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 11:40:07 am »

1 square is approximately 2x2x3 meters :>
Well that means a Giant Sperm Whale (40,000,000 cm^3) will fit into a square 3.33 times OR
40,000,000 cm^3 / 300 cm = SQRT(133,333 cm^2) = 365.15 cm per side.
A giant sperm whale would fit within a 2x2x1 tile space, assuming it was 3 m in height.

Going back on topic, do archers gain a bonus to range when higher up and if so, do they get a range bonus from step ladders?

Pages: [1] 2