Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21

Author Topic: Not-So-Beginner Mafia 5: Mafia Victory  (Read 49307 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Not-So-Beginner Mafia 5: Day 1: A Small Problem
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2014, 06:42:46 pm »

TDS
It's a list of playstyles, not reads. If you want reads, ask for reads.
Sure sure, I didn't ask for reads. But you're somewhat side-stepping the issue here. Are you intending to try and lynch scum before the end of this day?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2014, 06:54:33 pm »

TDS
Sure sure, I didn't ask for reads. But you're somewhat side-stepping the issue here. Are you intending to try and lynch scum before the end of this day?

Yes. There's still a lot of time left (till Monday), so I'll look over stuff. By the way, why aren't you questioning Worldmaster for his lack of voting?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2014, 07:14:21 pm »

Going on a trip tomorrow for a Tech Jam in Vermont. I'll be gone from 7am until 7pm est. Therefore, I will almost assuredly not be posting then. :)

Please let me know if I have any outstanding questions or whatnot aimed at me. These walls are massive and my head hurts tonight.
Sorry about the WoTs. Do you think you could post reads on everyone in the game at this stage?

Unvote

Probably, though there's plenty of nulls at this point, since we've only JUST gotten out of RVS at the end of the day. Since I'm going to be gone, I'm going to leave my vote here on Flabort.

TheDarkStar - Quiet, playstyle reads seem accurate enough. RVS was alright, considering. Lines up well with the town role I remember from our one game together.
Urist Imiknorris - Never played with them before. Good questions and answers. Wonder what he thinks of current events between Flabort and Persus13.
flabort - Wee bit scummy, but it's hard to tell considering his usual play.
notquitethere - Slight town. Intelligent RVS questions and some probing scumhunting. For now, town bloc.
Varee - His usual self, which doesn't tell me much of anything. Wish he would give himself more credit and scumhunt more rather than relying on night actions and others.
Persus13 - Competent. A little tunnel-y, but only in reaction to Flabort.
Worldmaster27 - Good for a newbie. Nothing REALLY sticks out. Maybe slight scum for some of his answers. Mostly null.
Deathsword - Quiet as usual. So far he lines up with the town play I remember. Like TheDarkStar in many ways. We'll have to see.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2014, 08:42:19 pm »

Response back to Persus:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Flabort
NQT: Yes, at this stage, I am becoming increasingly convinced that Persus is the best fit for scum. Do you think that Worldmaster is the best fit for scum?
I'm waiting on Worldmaster's response to me before I make any firm conclusions regarding his scumminess. Who do you think has received the least attention today? 
So you're still in RVS mode, but at least you're participating.
The least attention has been given to either Deathsword, or UI.
What is, in your opinion, the strongest kind of scumtell on day 1?
Ask me this again on Day 2. If I tell you now, scum may change their behaviour accordingly.
Fair enough. I will hold you to that, and await your answer on day 2.
Although if somebody altered their behavior in response to that, it could possibly be enough of a change to notice.

--Reads--
Scripten, I appreciate your reads, and I appreciate that I warrent your attention.
But wasn't it you who said
Day 1 reads are usually crap.
and
Day 1 reads are usually not too accurate. Sometimes a really good player can start suspecting the scumteam by the first lynch, but it's pretty rare.
I don't mind that you're voting me, I just want to know how much you trust your own reads at this point.

TDS

Yes. There's still a lot of time left (till Monday), so I'll look over stuff. By the way, why aren't you questioning Worldmaster for his lack of voting?
Do you mind if I ask for reads from you, TheDarkStar? It sounds like you're starting to form opinions of who might be scummy, and you're definitely paying attention.
As far as looking over stuff, NotQuiteThere, are you able to go over the thread again and let us know if anything suspicious comes to mind?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2014, 01:51:07 am »

I dont really understand the more experience players..... they seem to like to ask each other what they think and relying on that info to work on ..... that you NQT and Flabort, maybe you guys should trust each other a little bit less, or maybe i am paraniod.....

NQT: I dont think I should answer your question now for the same reason you didnt answer flabort, If you reveal your plan it is easier to avoid.

for now Deathsword need to talk a bit more I say... I keep confusing him with TDS ......
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2014, 03:19:11 am »

--Reads--
Scripten, I appreciate your reads, and I appreciate that I warrent your attention.
But wasn't it you who said
Day 1 reads are usually crap.
and
Day 1 reads are usually not too accurate. Sometimes a really good player can start suspecting the scumteam by the first lynch, but it's pretty rare.
I don't mind that you're voting me, I just want to know how much you trust your own reads at this point.

Flabort, do you realize how insanely suspicious this line of discussion is? Someone needs to be lynched Day 1, regardless of how good anyone's reads are. Oftentimes, it's town that gets lynched, because it's tough to sniff out scum on the first day, but that flip is still very important.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2014, 12:12:00 pm »

I'm just saying it's somewhat hypocritical, scripten, to say that day 1 reads are nigh useless, and then be the first to post day 1 reads (the earlier ones were described as play styles, and not reads, so they don't count).
Among the other things I expect from other players, it's consistency.

Varee, Scripten, Persus Oh how Ironic that my top three suspects at the moment were the ones who extended. I expect you guys to actually make use of this extension to it's full potential, so my vote will be on whichever one of you was the least recent one to post. Currently, that's... Persus. As soon as you post, of course, this means my vote will move to scripten or varee.
To kick of the conversation, what is your three's reaction to this decision?
Next, which of you three is most scummy? least scummy?
Next, which player who is NOT one of you three is most scummy? least scummy?

Deathsword You said you would post by now, "in a few hours" from your last post. Well, where is your post?
The Cyan Menace

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2014, 02:47:32 pm »

Votecount:
*TheDarkStar - Deathsword (1)
*Scripten - (0)
*Urist Imiknorris - (0)
*flabort - Persus13, Scripten (1)
*notquitethere - (0)
*Varee - Urist Imiknorris (1)
*Persus13 - flabort (1)
*Worldmaster27 - notquitethere (1)
*Deathsword - Varee (1)
Not voting: Worldmaster27, TheDarkStar

Extension requests: (0/3)
Shorten requests: (0/5)

Worldmaster27 has been prodded, having been inactive for over 48 non-weekend hours.

Day ends Monday, Oct. 27th, at 9:30 PM PST.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 03:13:08 pm by Jack A T »
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2014, 03:12:26 pm »

Jack A T: Scripten is currently voting for Flabort as of 5 posts above your votecount.

Large post incoming.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2014, 03:13:36 pm »

Jack A T: Scripten is currently voting for Flabort as of 5 posts above your votecount.
Correction made.  Thanks.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2014, 05:14:38 pm »

Varee: If you had a day inspect, who would you use it on right now? Do you feel that Deathsword should be lynched today?

NQT:
Persus
No, I would likely use my vote for pressure or to vote someone I find scummy but don't have a full case on to break a tie, if necessary. What do you assume about the scum?
I see, and is your vote on Flabort just pressure, or would you call it a proper case? Is Flabort the best fit for scum? I assume that the scum team will probably look to kill the most competent player tonight. If I'm doing my job right, I might not be alive tomorrow.
I would call more pressure than anything else. Flabort currently is the player is the scummiest, but that's mainly because his case is ridiculous, the only other that seems scummy to be is getting on Scripten for giving reads when I asked him for them. Does flabort fit scum? Yes, his behavior fits my profile of aggressive scum almost perfectly. His acting like a politician (dodging a few of my questions, rhetoric, overusage of metaphors, speech making himself out to be great at scumhunting and being a good town player) also seems more like a scum player then a town player.

I hope you will be alive tomorrow, I'll have a few questions for you that I don't want to ask till then.

TDS:
I'm willing to ask you for reads?

why aren't you [NQT] questioning Worldmaster for his lack of voting?
Why do you want NQT to do this instead of just asking him yourself (unless you already did that and I missed it)?

Scripten:
Why do you feel flabort is scummy?

Worldmaster27 - Good for a newbie. Nothing REALLY sticks out. Maybe slight scum for some of his answers. Mostly null.
Why do you feel world is slightly scummy?

Deathsword - Quiet as usual. So far he lines up with the town play I remember. Like TheDarkStar in many ways. We'll have to see.
All that from one post?

Flabort:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2014, 05:36:47 pm »

As promised, I will now Unvote, and Vote Varee.

Persus, we are really asking eachother way too many questions. I found myself skimming your reply; this is bad for both of us, because I might wind up not answering all your questions, and... uh... hmm. Well, that's bad for me because I can't properly concentrate on the game.

Anyways, more later if you want, but for now say that I withdraw the lurking bit, and the rest of the whole "you're being lazy this game" bit. And answer a couple of your questions:

No, I didn't want an extension, because extensions drag the game out with nothing happening. It's the reason that Oobles didn't want to play BM50, because it makes the game too long. It's the reason I get fed up and start lashing out at people, because it makes the DAY too long. Who's idea was it to make extensions 48 hours instead of 24, anyways? At this point, perceptions are getting garbled, patience is wearing thin, and conversation is once again slowing down; we're sliding back and you're drawing RVS out by extending.

I accidentally dropped the word "not" when I was saying that you participated "at all" in RVS as scum for Super7/CYOM. Whoops. Anyways, my point about you being lazy is withdrawn anyways.

Yes, I really had to ask who's least scummy, even though the answer was you, because when I ask two similar questions and one has it's mirror opposite attached, then the other has to have it's mirror opposite attached too. Call it OCD.

And since you mention it, why did you want reads from Scripten? Why not someone who puts more value into day 1 reads?
The Cyan Menace

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2014, 06:05:08 pm »

Turns out I ended up being without internet connection at home yesterday. A lot of bickering with the internet company later, here I am. Unvote

Deathsword: When should you reveal yourself as a jailor?
Only if someone fakeclaimed jailor. Otherwise, never. There is no reason to claim jailor otherwise, as it gives you a huge PLEASE NIGHTKILL ME! sign.

Deathsword: What is your favorite part about Mafia?
The tension just before a roleflip, especially as town, when you see whether or not you fucked up with the lynch.

Deathsword
Do you foresee the game being won on the back of the cop/jailkeeper, or do you think traditional scum hunting will win the day?
I am aware of the irony of this answer, but I think it'll end up with scumhunting carrying the day. There is only so much the power roles can do, especially if they are killed early.

Deathsword While you did have an earlier start than Persus, he does have a small point in that he is starting to get ahead of you in post count, and if this continues, maybe content. Where are you? And more importantly, which is better: to ask a few good questions, or a LARGE number of bad questions?
Good questions. Always. Bad questions are just that. Bad. A large number of them doesn't make them stink any less.

I dont really understand the more experience players..... they seem to like to ask each other what they think and relying on that info to work on ..... that you NQT and Flabort, maybe you guys should trust each other a little bit less, or maybe i am paraniod.....
Are you implying they are buddying? If so, could state that outright? Why are you afraid of saying that, instead relying on merely implying it?

NQT: I dont think I should answer your question now for the same reason you didnt answer flabort, If you reveal your plan it is easier to avoid.
First: seriously, quote the questions or text or whatever you are talking about.
Second: How the fuck does this:
In the games you've played before do you think you should have been able to work out who the scum were in hindsight?
have anything to do with a game plan? Are you planning to imitate the scum of games past?

for now Deathsword need to talk a bit more I say... I keep confusing him with TDS ......
How can you even confuse me with TDS? Furthermore, if you think NQT and Flarbot are buddying, why vote a lurker instead? Why not press that point while we are at it, Varee?

Now I am off to prepare myself for the horror that is tomorrow's presidential election with biometry (and the fact that the biometry system is shit).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2014, 08:46:22 pm »

Flabort:

I'm just saying it's somewhat hypocritical, scripten, to say that day 1 reads are nigh useless, and then be the first to post day 1 reads (the earlier ones were described as play styles, and not reads, so they don't count).
Among the other things I expect from other players, it's consistency.

Not hypocritical. Just because my reads may (probably are) wrong doesn't mean I shouldn't post them so as to improve them by interacting with people. Just the fact that I've posted my reads has spurred conversation, which is good for moving the game state forward.

Persus13:

Scripten:
Why do you feel flabort is scummy?

Considering you've answered this question yourself in this post, my answer is obviously going to be biased. However, I agree that he is answering questions in a dodgy manner consistent with scum. While he may be changing his playstyle in light of it not working, his activity is the most scummy at this point in the game. I find his pushes to be scum-motivated, as he is concentrating on people who would be easier to lynch this early in the game as opposed to later. (Notably, his insistence that me finding Day 1 reads to be often erroneous makes me posting my reads now to be hypocritical, when it obviously is not.) Intellectual dishonesty is a fairly good scumtell.

Why do you feel world is slightly scummy?

Excusing any "unintentional" scumslips due to newbieness. We know he's a newbie, so why bother mentioning it? Again, it's a slight scumread and will evolve with time.

All that from one post?

Yep. This is precisely how town-Deathsword played as an IC in our newbie game together. Sadly, my early reads are mostly meta. This read may (probably will) change in time.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2014, 09:05:22 pm »

My activity level is much of a tell either way, i may be posting alot but i just drop by often but didnt really have much time to read all the other posts.

@flabort, so you want me to rank the three players from scummiest to not scummiest? What would be a reason why you would put yourself at least scummiest as it is the only certain information you have as of now?  My pick would be persus though, he seem to be talking to you a lot but not much more.  As for other picks, i wont rule anyone as not scummy as of yet.  Scripten read strike me as a little weird but i have a feeling i do that sometime so i will just let it slide for now.  As of how i think of the voting method, i say it might be quiet effective at applying pressure but that solely depend on how much you want to change you vote around, it can kind of force player to be more active. The third question will have to wait a bit though....

@Deathsword, almost missed you post, the quote screw up. I dont mean that they are buddying, if they are it a little too dumb and way to obvious for an experience player. My answer is that if I say what i will be doing , it will be way harder to do so i will hold on that for now. I explicitly stated that quoting big post are a pain in the ass when you are doing it on a phone so..... You are just forcing world in my mouth and voting me of it for that reason so why dont you come up with a good reason why you did that?

@Persus, if i have a day inspect, I would throw it at either NQT or flabort, i feel it much more useful in early state of the game to find some active player you can trust on instead of throwing it at random lurker and hope they are intentionally lurking.
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21