Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21

Author Topic: Not-So-Beginner Mafia 5: Mafia Victory  (Read 49302 times)

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
Re: Not-So-Beginner Mafia 5: Day 1: A Small Problem
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 11:35:44 pm »

Day 1

After the team reached the island where Clifton's treasure was buried, digging began.  It took a few days to precisely locate and unearth the treasure.  Everyone intended to spend one last night on the island and leave in the morning.

Most woke up early.  One did not.

The man known only as Deathsword (the number of people who had died to his sword was unknown, but believed to be in the dozens) checked to see if everyone found the idea of waking Clifton up acceptable.  A consensus was reached, and Deathsword peered inside Clifton's tent.

Clifton's head and map were missing.  His head wasn't all that important, but he had the only map back home.  This problem had to be dealt with.

Votecount:
*TheDarkStar - (0)
*Scripten - (0)
*Urist Imiknorris - (0)
*flabort - (0)
*notquitethere - (0)
*Varee - (0)
*Persus13 - (0)
*Worldmaster27 - (0)
*Deathsword - (0)
Not voting: TheDarkStar, Scripten, Urist Imiknorris, flabort, notquitethere, Varee, Persus13, Worldmaster27, Deathsword

Extension requests: 0/3
Shorten requests: 0/5

Day ends 9:30 PM (EDIT: PST) Thursday, Oct. 23rd.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 02:48:15 am by Jack A T »
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 11:39:59 pm »

TheDarkStar: Will your IC duties in BM50 distract you from playing your best in this game?
Scripten: If you were to be lynched on the first day, what would you do to make your death as informative as possible? If you were to be lynched the second day, what would you different?
Urist Imiknorris: If you were the Jailkeeper, and the other players were someone accusing you of being scum and two people claiming cop, and one other person who was actively lurking, which one would you jailkeep?
Notquitethere: If you were one of the cops in the situation posed to UI, what would you do as the real cop? As the fake cop?
Varee: What is your current stance on inactivity? Are there any school or work things that might cause you to be inactive?
Persus13: What is your stance on a liar?
Worldmaster27: How do you feel about being in more than one game at a time? Do you think it might divide your focus?
Deathsword: How do you stand on the random voting phase? Are you against it or for it? How do you most take advantage of it?

Everyone: What are your pre-Q/A gut feelings? Do you have any "My seventh sense says to vote this guy" premonitions, ever?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 08:05:12 am »

TheDarkStar — do you have a handle on the play-styles of the other players?

Scripten — What's a good RVS question?

Urist Imiknorris — Is it important that everyone talks to everyone else on Day 1?

Varee — What are the scum tells you'll look for on Day 1 (if any)?

Persus13 — What's worse: a laughably weak lynching case, or no case at all?

Worldmaster27 — I don't think we've played a game together before. How would you characterise your playstyle?

Deathsword — Is this game set up town or scum sided (or neither)? Why?

flabort
Notquitethere: If you were one of the cops in the situation posed to UI, what would you do as the real cop? As the fake cop?
Well as the real cop I'd try to get the fake cop lynched. Come night time if neither of us was lynched, I'd inspect whoever damn well wasn't lynching the fake cop, as that's probably the fake cop's buddy. As the fake cop I'd try to lynch the cop, and failing that, I'd night kill someone other than that cop, hoping to hit the jailkeeper. Does that all make sense? What would you do?

Everyone: What are your pre-Q/A gut feelings? Do you have any "My seventh sense says to vote this guy" premonitions, ever?
I don't work off premonitions. But shooting from the hip, I'll predict it's a Worldmaster/Varee team. Who do you think?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 08:24:14 am »

Does that all make sense? What would you do?

I don't work off premonitions. But shooting from the hip, I'll predict it's a Worldmaster/Varee team. Who do you think?
Yeah, it makes sense. My own actions would probably be the same. Unvote.

My guts are, for once, not telling me anything off the get go. Well, it's saying that Varee might be, but I'm not getting any information on the second member. So, I asked the cards, and when I didn't like those results a checked some dice, and then an online source. All three agreed that Scripten was probably on the team, which is a big coincidence because none of them agreed on the second member. So, I'm stuck without a proper premonition in the classic RVS phase, too; possibly a Scripten/Varee team, but I don't have that special tingle this time.
The Cyan Menace

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 08:40:06 am »

wow this is great, as i check the thread I became the prime suspect :P.

@Flabort, I am not exactly busy but this weekend might be a little hectic for me so yeah, am not very sure on that front.

@NQT, going by what people tell me to do , it would be band wagoning and more than normal friendliness/hostility toward someone. Remaining under the radar is what my gut say though.

well I guess it time for random question and/or RVS?

*TheDarkStar - What is your opinion on dropping out mid game? does it benefit a certain side more than other?
*Scripten - What do you think is the most suspicious thing you can do during RVS
*Urist Imiknorris - Do you trust in gut feeling?
*flabort - Is inactivity something you take into consideration when you think someone is scum or not?
*notquitethere - By asking about what people look for in scum, does that make people more likely to avoid it and make it harder to spot them?
*Varee - Why did you ask yourself a question?
*Persus13 - What do you think is more important, asking random question or answering them?
*Worldmaster27 - What would make you trust that someone is a memeber of town?
*Deathsword - What would be the best thing to do when you are about to be lynched?
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2014, 09:11:29 am »

Varee
@NQT, going by what people tell me to do , it would be band wagoning and more than normal friendliness/hostility toward someone. Remaining under the radar is what my gut say though.
Your gut is more right on this one: scum win by being sufficiently ignored.

*notquitethere - By asking about what people look for in scum, does that make people more likely to avoid it and make it harder to spot them?
I recall playing a game where I signalled very strongly what I was looking to find in town players, and the scum subsequently acted differently so they fit in with what I expected to see in town. So that can be a danger. Ultimately though, town hammer scum on their weakest point: scum don't genuinely want to find scum. Weak hunting and bad cases and keeping a low profile aren't infallible scum signs, but they're all things good town players do better and more naturally than even the best of scum players.

Do you know what a policy lynch is, and if so, what's your policy on policy lynches?

Flabort — What would I have had to have said to that question for you to think me suspicious?

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 09:21:09 am »

Nqt
I understand the concept of policy lynch but the term itself is still vague for me, it think like voting nolynch on d1 mean you should be lynch and stuff like that. I dont really think policy lynch is a good thing but most people seem to say it is one step better than no lynch or random lynch. I say it might be beneficial in some situation where lynching a third party is better than not lynching but i am against just lynching people in general. I know it the only thing we can do to get rid of scum and it is really hard to confirm your target before lynching, so i guess it is necessary.

So NQT, if you are a role cop and you find scum n1, will you claim the next day? Or will you wait it out a bit?
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 11:23:36 am »

PFW

Varee: Innactivity leads to two things: being ignored, which scum want, and a lack of anything helpful or harmful to town, which is how scum want (not to appear harmful but not to be helpful). So inactivity does appear scummy to me.

NQT: Something unexpected. If you had answered with, say, investigating the other cop, or investigating as the scum. I would have known you weren't putting much thought into it; given that you are an active player with little history of not putting thought into something, I figured it would be easy for you, though.
The Cyan Menace

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 01:19:51 pm »

Varee: Why didn't you answer Varee's question to you? Do you have something to hide?
Persus13: Why are you lurking so hard?
Deathsword: Do you think all this talk of gut feelings is productive?

NQT:
Urist Imiknorris — Is it important that everyone talks to everyone else on Day 1?
Nope. D1 is basically a crapshoot because nobody knows anything (except the scum but they aren't telling). The primary objective is to start gaining information, and worrying about everyone doing it in a specific way is just a distraction.

flabort:
Urist Imiknorris: If you were the Jailkeeper, and the other players were someone accusing you of being scum and two people claiming cop, and one other person who was actively lurking, which one would you jailkeep?
Since there's basically no way anyone but a 'cop' will be lynched that day:

If the real cop is lynched I'd jail the fake cop (because duh).
If the fake cop is lynched I'd jail the lurker (because if you don't participate in the day game, you don't get a night game).

My gut feeling is that I shouldn't have eaten that burrito.

Varee:
*Urist Imiknorris - Do you trust in gut feeling?
Not when it comes to Mafia.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 01:41:07 pm »

Deathsword: How do you stand on the random voting phase? Are you against it or for it? How do you most take advantage of it?
I think it is useful to get the game going, which is the whole point of RVS. It's not often that you can actually get a tell on it, however, but it does happen. As to how to get the tells, it varies from player to player. Some crack easily under pressure, while others might slip up on a question that, at first glace, seemed trivial

Deathsword — Is this game set up town or scum sided (or neither)? Why?
I haven't been paying much attention to the BMs since the shift from the old system so I can't tell exactly how scum-sided it is. That said, I think it is less scum-sided than the old setup, mostly due to the lack of a godfather and the presence of a town roleblock.

I try not to metagame before D1 starts. Mostly because that ends with me tunneling someone and missing tells from the real scum.

*Deathsword - What would be the best thing to do when you are about to be lynched?
Continue pressing the case you had before, while, of course, defending yourself to a reasonable extent. If you must choose between either, however, pressing your case takes priority.

Deathsword: Do you think all this talk of gut feelings is productive?
It might be, but I don't much like to go by gut feeling, as it often turns out to be quite wrong.

NQT: what value x needs to be so x = n^(q*t) Do you feel the lack of power roles in any significant amount increases or decreases the complexity of plans players may hatch, regardless of alignment?

Flarbot: How much value do you put into the meta of someone in general? And when asking RVS questions?

TheDarkStar: Do you prefer setups with many or few players? Why?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2014, 01:59:20 pm »

PFW
Forgot to [colo=red]unvote[/color]
UI: OK. What would your reaction to the player accusing you of being scum in that situation be?

Deathsword: A player's meta allows me to gauge their reactions to RVS questions more accurately, as well as know how much inactivity is normal for them; outside that, towards the later portions of the game, an individual player's meta loses importance as the game gets more serious and activity levels changeing or remain constant becomes more important, and analysis of tells and reaction to flips is game specific and not related to metas. So meta is only importantt to consider day 1.
The Cyan Menace

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 02:45:35 pm »

Okay, catching up with questions, then I'm going to reread everyone's responses to RVS.

Scripten: If you were to be lynched on the first day, what would you do to make your death as informative as possible? If you were to be lynched the second day, what would you different?

Explain all of my reads and/or night results(In a game with a Night 0) as clearly and solidly as possible. That said, Day 1 reads are usually crap. Day 2 would be much more solid and I'd be able to give associatives based on flips from the lynch and NK. (If there was one.) And, of course, full night results assuming a non-bastard setup.

I don't do these, really. Meta doesn't factor into role assignments. Closest thing is that I'll probably start by targeting people known to scumslip during RVS if there are any.

Scripten — What's a good RVS question?

One that gets us out of RVS as fast as possible.

Scripten - What do you think is the most suspicious thing you can do during RVS?

Try to prolong it.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 03:56:10 pm »

Flabort:
How do you feel about being in more than one game at a time? Do you think it might divide your focus?
I'm slightly unsure of my choice to join in, but at the moment I think I'll be able to manage both. I also hope that this will provide more experience for me, which can't be a bad thing.

What do you think about our choices to try and play two games at once? Do you think it will help or hinder the town?

NQT:
I don't think we've played a game together before. How would you characterise your playstyle?
I've only finished one BM game (#49) as scum, and I am currently in BM #50. So far, I'm not sure how to characterize my playstyle beyond "Work-In-Progress" However, looking at BM #49, I tried to play like town with a town mindset as much as possible, and try to think like scum only at night.

How important do you think Day 1 is? What makes you think that?

Varee:
What would make you trust that someone is a memeber of town?
Being active and scumhunting, as well as being as transparent as possible.

How important do you think the mafia's first night kill is to the town?

Urist: Why don't you trust in gut feeling?

Deathsword: Who do you think the scum would want to go after first, a jailkeeper or cop?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2014, 06:15:39 pm »

TheDarkStar: Do you prefer setups with many or few players? Why?

Many, because there's more chaos. Larger setups also have more interesting night play.

TheDarkStar: Will your IC duties in BM50 distract you from playing your best in this game?

Probably not.

None; it doesn't really happen to me.

TheDarkStar — do you have a handle on the play-styles of the other players?

Yes.

*TheDarkStar - What is your opinion on dropping out mid game? does it benefit a certain side more than other?

Don't drop out of the game in general. If you do and you're town, that helps scum. If you do and you're scum, that helps town. It's worse for scum when a scum player drops out because there are fewer people on their team anyway, so removing one person removes a larger fraction of their team.

Questions:

TheDarkStar: No questions to him because he's just that awesome. Also, spellcheck things that his name should actually be 'teethmarks'. Should I be disturbed?
Scripten: If you were scum, which player would you want on your scumteam the most out of all of the ones playing?
Urist Imiknorris: What day do you think is most important?
flabort: If you're the investigator, is it worth it to reveal that a townie you inspected is town if he's about to be lynched?
notquitethere: If, as town, you had a daykill, who would you kill right now?
Varee: How do you feel now that you have lots of votes on you and what are you going to do about them?
Persus13: If, as scum, you had a daykill, who would you kill right now?
Worldmaster27: When should you reveal yourself as a cop?
Deathsword: When should you reveal yourself as a jailor?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2014, 06:23:27 pm »

TDS:
When should you reveal yourself as a cop?
If I'd found scum, and I did't think they'd found me, I would give it about a day or two, depending on when mafia is found and how many are left. If it's the last mafia, claiming right away will save the town a bit of time and win the game. If there's two, that's when I would prefer to wait to see if I can deduce from the day game who might the other scum be and check them. If I'm about to be lynched, I'd claim even if I haven't found scum and post all of my reads. That way the information will be out there if the scum kill me during the night/town is suspicious and lynches me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21