Dwarf Fortress > DF Modding

Playing around with the ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT tag

(1/6) > >>

Ladygolem:
I'm working on a Gnoll mod and wondering: is there a way to use the ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT behaviour, but somehow change the substance required? I want to make it so that essentially a gnoll would "require fresh meat to get through the working day". I'm sure the behaviour of that specific token is hard coded, but is there some sort of way to emulate its effects with a different material? Maybe through some variation of whatever tokens are used by vampires? Or are those hard coded as well?

Dirst:

--- Quote from: Ladygolem on October 16, 2014, 12:56:05 pm ---I'm working on a Gnoll mod and wondering: is there a way to use the ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT behaviour, but somehow change the substance required? I want to make it so that essentially a gnoll would "require fresh meat to get through the working day". I'm sure the behaviour of that specific token is hard coded, but is there some sort of way to emulate its effects with a different material? Maybe through some variation of whatever tokens are used by vampires? Or are those hard coded as well?

--- End quote ---
I can think of two work-arounds using only raw modding, though they're not particularly elegant.  You can give your gnolls low speed and put a gnoll-affecting syndrome into all meats that speed them up for a set period.  You could also make them alcohol dependent, remove all brewing, and make the meat alcoholic.  Then for extra points a localization patch can change the in-game text to make it refer to meat rather than booze.

You can probably do something much better using DFHack.

Ladygolem:
DfHack might be the way to go, the other options seem kinda ehhh. I'm less concerned about the speed bonus/penalty and more about the happiness effect, to emulate a starving gnoll turning on their pack-mates, ha ha. I'm looking through the DfHack forums now, to see if I can find anything relevant. Unfortunately I'm not a coder - editing textfile raws in Dwarf Fortress or Dominions 4 are my only experience in modding.

Illogical_Blox:

--- Quote from: Ladygolem on October 16, 2014, 12:56:05 pm ---I'm working on a Gnoll mod and wondering: is there a way to use the ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT behaviour, but somehow change the substance required? I want to make it so that essentially a gnoll would "require fresh meat to get through the working day". I'm sure the behaviour of that specific token is hard coded, but is there some sort of way to emulate its effects with a different material? Maybe through some variation of whatever tokens are used by vampires? Or are those hard coded as well?

--- End quote ---
Cool - I'm working on a mod that adds a load of D&D creatures.

DFhack is probably your main option.

Quietust:

--- Quote from: Dirst on October 16, 2014, 01:07:23 pm ---You could also make them alcohol dependent, remove all brewing, and make the meat alcoholic.

--- End quote ---

That wouldn't work, since booze doesn't work that way - alcohol dependency is only affected by consuming a DRINK item, regardless of material (whereas LIQUID_MISC items have no effect, again regardless of material).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version