Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Modern Firearms Mod (It's the best name I could think of)  (Read 4909 times)

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
Modern Firearms Mod (It's the best name I could think of)
« on: October 16, 2014, 01:34:24 pm »

NOVEMBER 5, 2014 UPDATE: V.0.03 is in development.
So far, I've added in an extensive number of handguns, all of which are real-world weapons.
I've managed to create a system that balances the weapons quite well.
Assault rifles, submachine guns, sniper rifles, shotguns, and rocket launchers yet to come.
Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 05:13:22 pm by Dampe »
Regards,
Dampe

IronSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Firearms Mod (It's the best name I could think of)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 05:22:20 pm »

While I am unaware of any mod that just adds firearms, Stirk's Dwarf Fortress Modern does add firearms as a part of its mod. You may want to look into that mod for ideas.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 11:55:20 am »

I've re-pondered (that's probably not a word) this mod, and I think rather than being the Modern Firearms Mod, it will be the DISREGARD. I'll be adding in modern weapons, of course, but these won't be as effective as other weapons, in most cases. I'm a bit of a gun nut, so I've got quite a few ideas of my own. Thanks for the advice, however.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 09:29:49 am by Dampe »
Regards,
Dampe

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 12:46:28 pm »

WH 40 also has some modern weapons: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=120494.0
So does Fallout Equestria, but they aren't balanced well: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118893.0 It even includes miniguns and energy weapons through material emissions.

I even tried modding in shotguns by material emission of pellets, but it didn't work out: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118893.msg4218316;topicseen#msg4218316
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 09:25:48 am »

I've started work on the Modern Weapons Mod, as it has now been rechristened, and have added in a number of handguns and submachine guns. I'm planning to start modding in the ammunition and other weapons later today. I still haven't tested out any of the weapons I have added in, but I'll do that later. I've also put in some articles of clothing (both mundane modern clothing and tactical gear) to suit the weapons. I've been pondering aircraft and vehicles, but that would be much later on in the mod. This will probably come out looking significantly more polished than some of the other mods that add in weapons do (not to brag), so I'm feeling confident. Thanks for continued attention, everyone!
Regards,
Dampe

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 09:43:21 am »

In terms of the melee attacks, there are three types for handguns and machine pistols.
1. Clubbing with the butt of the weapon.
2. Pistol-whipping with the barrel or front receiver of the weapon.
3. Smashing the target with the full length of the weapon. (Similar to a pistol-whip, but with more surface area making contact with the target.
I'm presuming that the rifles, shotguns and certain submachine guns will have two attacks.
1. Smashing the target with the stock of the weapon (if it has a solid stock that can be used in this fashion, it'll be able to smash targets, but weapons with skeletal stocks may not be able to, as they aren't sturdy enough to land a blow)
2. Wielding the weapon like a club and...well, clubbing the target.

"But, Dampe! Where are the bayonets?"
Well, so far as I know, no major nation still uses bayonets in combat today. I'd guess the last time they might have been used would be by the Soviets in Afghanistan (don't quote me on that), since I can't think of any time they were used later than that by a global power of any description. So, with only a couple exceptions, you probably won't be seeing any bayonets in this mod, sorry.
Regards,
Dampe

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 11:11:15 am »

Well, so far as I know, no major nation still uses bayonets in combat today. I'd guess the last time they might have been used would be by the Soviets in Afghanistan (don't quote me on that), since I can't think of any time they were used later than that by a global power of any description. So, with only a couple exceptions, you probably won't be seeing any bayonets in this mod, sorry.
I trained with a bayonet in the 80s (before most of the players around here were born) but was not issued one during the Gulf War because I wasn't infantry.  Modern bayonets are multi-purpose tools that spend little or no time mounted on a rifle barrel. 
It's probably appropriate to include a bayonet as a separate tool with an attack, but to avoid confusion perhaps call it a "military knife".  It's not worth the effort to figure out a way to mount the bayonet onto the rifle because no one really does that.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 11:26:34 am »

No one uses bayonettes in modern military, because the fire rate and ammo capacity of rifles made them obsolete. But this is DF, where ammo capacity is around 25 and firing rate is so slow that melee happens a lot. So you really should include bayonettes to make rifles into something akin to a spear and useable for defence.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 11:28:59 am »

The British still use bayonets. Apparently it's terrifying. I know how to get it onto the rifle, also (in DF, that is). I'd love to help out if you need any. PTW
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Military Mod (Just change it like this!)
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 07:34:26 pm »

I've found that there isn't a mod for firearms.

You didn't look very hard, mine includes a bunch of em :P.

Good luck with polishing, that is always what kills me. Can never hold my attention on one thing enough to see it through. You can change the name of the post by editing the first one and changing the Subject, to keep with the new name. I added vehicals too, but they are by no means realistic.

I ended up having to use different ammunition for each gun to get them to act differently enough to be noticed. Trying for standardized ammunition just makes all the guns firing the bullets act almost the same, at least the way I do it. Also, I modified firing rate by the weight of the bullets, heavy bullets do more damage and slow the user down enough that it actively effects the firing rate. I am sure there is room for multiple gun-mods, the world can always use a few more firearms.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 07:53:40 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 04:21:37 pm »

I trained with a bayonet in the 80s (before most of the players around here were born) but was not issued one during the Gulf War because I wasn't infantry.  Modern bayonets are multi-purpose tools that spend little or no time mounted on a rifle barrel. 
It's probably appropriate to include a bayonet as a separate tool with an attack, but to avoid confusion perhaps call it a "military knife".  It's not worth the effort to figure out a way to mount the bayonet onto the rifle because no one really does that.

As I thought. I've actually got an idea for how I'm going to work the bayonet thing in, but it's a little low-tech. More on that at a later date. Thanks for the input. Better I confirm it here than have to go to the Shipbucket forums to do so. (There's a crazy fucking Norwegian guy there, and he scares me.)
Regards,
Dampe

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Military Mod (Just change it like this!)
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 04:24:43 pm »

I've found that there isn't a mod for firearms.

You didn't look very hard, mine includes a bunch of em :P.

Good luck with polishing, that is always what kills me. Can never hold my attention on one thing enough to see it through. You can change the name of the post by editing the first one and changing the Subject, to keep with the new name. I added vehicals too, but they are by no means realistic.

I ended up having to use different ammunition for each gun to get them to act differently enough to be noticed. Trying for standardized ammunition just makes all the guns firing the bullets act almost the same, at least the way I do it. Also, I modified firing rate by the weight of the bullets, heavy bullets do more damage and slow the user down enough that it actively effects the firing rate. I am sure there is room for multiple gun-mods, the world can always use a few more firearms.

Agreed.
I'm a bit of a gun nut, and I think I can pull this off well.
I've got plenty of ideas on ammunition, all guns will be using real-life calibers or a renamed equivalent, and I think I should be able to pull it off. The only area I've run into trouble with in the past is underbarrel grenade launchers, but I think I have that sorted out too.
Regards,
Dampe

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 04:28:06 pm »

The British still use bayonets. Apparently it's terrifying. I know how to get it onto the rifle, also (in DF, that is). I'd love to help out if you need any. PTW

I've got a couple people I can talk to about that.
I might have to mod in the L-85 under a different designation, but by all accounts, that rifle is shit.
Now that I think about it, I have seen bayonets mounted on those.
I will keep your offer in mind.
Regards,
Dampe

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 04:38:03 pm »

I've got a couple people I can talk to about that.
I might have to mod in the L-85 under a different designation, but by all accounts, that rifle is shit.
Now that I think about it, I have seen bayonets mounted on those.
I will keep your offer in mind.
Neat.
Just so you know, there are buttons to put in other quotes so you don't have to triple post (s'okay here, it's your thread but other people may not like it). If you scroll down from reply you can see a topic summary. Each post below has an insert quote button on.
It's how I put this in (it links to the post you quoted that I quoted).
Also, congratulations. You are the only person I have ever seen use a signature actually put it in their sig. No hate on those that choose the signing off method, but I've never actually seen someone place their signature in their signature before.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 04:42:22 pm »

Here it is, the illustrious list of...
Planned Features!
- A plethora of firearms, including handguns, revolvers, machine pistols, submachine guns, assault rifles, semiautomatic rifles, various precision rifles, shotguns, grenade launchers, machine guns, and rocket launchers, plus anything else that I may have neglected to list.
- Realistic calibers for all weapons.
- Military uniforms and tactical gear to flaunt, and civilian clothing, as well.
- Reconfiguring of the gibberish human language to English. (The only other language I can confirm will be associated with a civ will be Russian. More to come later.)
- Vehicles are a maybe, I'm not very skilled at modding creatures, which appears to be how I would have to do it. I'd need practice, so this will come later.
- Multiple human civs, and a backstory to go with them. These will be listed in a separate post.

I may release this in two separate formats: A mod with just the guns, to use as you see fit, and a complete mod with a focus on more modern themes, and a reduction of the fantasy elements of Dwarf Fortress.

Stay tuned!
Regards,
Dampe
Pages: [1] 2