Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noob questions for you to answer! (and ask)  (Read 1555 times)

NoobKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Noob questions for you to answer! (and ask)
« on: October 17, 2014, 05:58:01 am »

So I jus downloaded DF last week and I've been enjoying myself in Adventure Mode (the only mode I've seriously played cuz I can't understand a thing in Fortress mode) and I have a couple of questions.

Is there a crafting system? I ran out of crossbow bolts a few in-game days ago and I'm having trouble hunting with Sprint and a longsword.
Also, do I have to kill every bandit in a camp for the game to consider it brag-worthy? I'm having trouble gaining fame - if bragging's still how you get it.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noob questions for you to answer! (and ask)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 11:39:34 am »

For the first question - no. Bolts are reusable, unless they break, but you can't craft them. Visit places where lords are (fortresses in 0.34, mead halls in 0.40 and look for useful free goods in bags)
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 02:38:25 pm »

I'm not new to Dwarf Fortress "Fortress Mode" but I'm quite a noob at the "Adventure Mode."

My whole problem is with getting money. Is it worth selling hides and fat and stuff to get it, or will I get more money by doing quests?

I've never lasted more than 30 minutes with any, because of my bad luck in the wilds. I know not to be out at night (alone), and to not underestimate your opponent.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 02:46:39 pm »

I'm not new to Dwarf Fortress "Fortress Mode" but I'm quite a noob at the "Adventure Mode."

My whole problem is with getting money. Is it worth selling hides and fat and stuff to get it, or will I get more money by doing quests?

I've never lasted more than 30 minutes with any, because of my bad luck in the wilds. I know not to be out at night (alone), and to not underestimate your opponent.
Money?  Whats that? 

Money is almost worthless, imo.  Each coin is only worth more than 1/500 of the bar its made out of if you use it in the civ that made it.  Otherwise, its toilet paper.

Get yourself some jewels, gems, totems, braclets, and other small things that can be sold to any civ if you want to trade.  The good news is that the prices for Adventurer mode is the same as fort mode, so your experience at the Depot should do you some favors there.  But you wont know the exact prices (or maybe you do if you somehow have novice or better barter).

Trading in this version is better than last version due to the increased availability of merchants, but I dont do that much of it beyond basic things like weapons/better armor.

You will mostly get better prices by scavenging off the corpses of your opponent and trading the weapons.  Carry them in a separate bag or quiver than your main stuff in case you have to drop it in a fight.  Dont want to lose everything because you had to flee to survive.

The wilds are a bit more expansive (thus brutal) in this version because the game doesn't even tell you where to go.  It can be a bit of a pain even knowing if you found the right place, much less if you have done your job.   Fortunately, a companion is easy to get, even for a peasant.  Ask somebody to accompany you to a random location.  Drunks and soldiers should be happy to help you.

And remember, running (sprinting) is completely viable; many things can roflstomp you (or me, as a peasant), so be ready to abuse ai pathing to get away.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 02:48:59 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 02:54:28 pm »

So I jus downloaded DF last week and I've been enjoying myself in Adventure Mode (the only mode I've seriously played cuz I can't understand a thing in Fortress mode) and I have a couple of questions.

Is there a crafting system? I ran out of crossbow bolts a few in-game days ago and I'm having trouble hunting with Sprint and a longsword.
Also, do I have to kill every bandit in a camp for the game to consider it brag-worthy? I'm having trouble gaining fame - if bragging's still how you get it.
No crafting system, but there are mods that add that via reactions.  I dont know if Wanderer's Friend is a thing, go check.
For bolts, scavenge them at camps or keeps (in towns)  Holds (the hamlets with two sets of buildings) may also have them.  Or buy them at dwarven forts.

Im afraid you can brag about torturing a rabbit in this game.  So any kill or attack you make is brag-worthy.  Typically, though, only the leader needs to die in order to complete that sort of quest.  Do be aware that another bandit may be promoted as a new leader, though, giving you a chance to do the quest again.  Killing them all may help that.

AFA Fame:

We all are.  Bragging about violence will make you 'feared' or 'hated' more than respected and famous.  You brag as an agonistic event.  You do it to be seen as dangerous or tough, not as heroic.   'Instead try to bring up an incident' that you want to share.  Shout it out to people, and especially their family or group members.  When you brag about an action you often get the 'Let's not hurt anyone' dialog which indicats that they think you are irrational or loose.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

NoobKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 09:58:25 am »

No crafting system, but there are mods that add that via reactions.  I dont know if Wanderer's Friend is a thing, go check.
For bolts, scavenge them at camps or keeps (in towns)  Holds (the hamlets with two sets of buildings) may also have them.  Or buy them at dwarven forts.

Im afraid you can brag about torturing a rabbit in this game.  So any kill or attack you make is brag-worthy.  Typically, though, only the leader needs to die in order to complete that sort of quest.  Do be aware that another bandit may be promoted as a new leader, though, giving you a chance to do the quest again.  Killing them all may help that.

AFA Fame:

We all are.  Bragging about violence will make you 'feared' or 'hated' more than respected and famous.  You brag as an agonistic event.  You do it to be seen as dangerous or tough, not as heroic.   'Instead try to bring up an incident' that you want to share.  Shout it out to people, and especially their family or group members.  When you brag about an action you often get the 'Let's not hurt anyone' dialog which indicats that they think you are irrational or loose.
That explains a lot, thanks. Could you give me an example crafting reaction?
Oh, and if you're a modder or somewhat close, could you tell me how to make custom items like new weapons and guns?
Just for Adventure mode, if that makes things any easier.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 02:28:00 pm »

Oh, and if you're a modder or somewhat close, could you tell me how to make custom items like new weapons and guns?
Just for Adventure mode, if that makes things any easier.
To make a new weapon, you need to edit item_weapon.txt.  This can be found in [your DF install]/raw/objects (if you want to create a weapon that will be available in all future worlds) or /data/save/[your savegame]/raw/objects if you want it present in the current game.  Try copying an existing weapon, and changing some of the numbers.  Then test it in the arena.

As for how to actually get said weapon as an adventurer, I'm not so sure.  I think the easiest way would be to add a custom reaction that creates this weapon from a rock or something.  But I think this will require generating a new world.  Reactions have changed a bit in this new version, and I haven't played with them yet, so I suggest you ask in the modding forum (I think there's a "little questions" thread there) about how to do this.  You could also download Wanderer's Mod or any of the several others that add in adventure mode crafting and take a look at how they do it.

NoobKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 11:12:05 pm »

Thanks, but Wanderer's isn't compatible with 40.13 - or at least, old enough for me to think so. I'll ask around the modding community for help with the reactions and items.