Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: [0.42&0.43] The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - It's a mine... it's-a not yours!  (Read 80549 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

Thanks for the save and the description of how it got there.  The Tribute thing is definitely a bug.  The war animals going nuts could conceivably be normal DF tomfoolery (an animal tamed by your dwarves can revert to a wild state under the wrong conditions), but it sounds like the old spawned creature bug.

I can just imagine the animal trainer bringing the awakened stones to the militia commander.  "Beings of rock to crush our enemies!  Wait...  The rock is chalk?  Whose side are you on?"
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Muffinator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I actually have another bug I found in the save, too. After building the tribute to chalk and sacrificing a few hidden gems I got a "seeds". Cant plant them or anything, just sitting in my seed pile. 

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

This save was very helpful!  Here's what I figured out so far:

The war-trained awakened stones go nuts the moment the tesb-tribute script errors out, which happens to be when a floor is constructed in a completely different part of the fort.  Version 1.34's more stable tesb-tribute script doesn't error out at that point, so no nuttiness ensues.

Not sure why the tribute script affects existing awakened stones at all, but I'll be asking for help in the DFHack thread to nail down the remaining instability in the spawn-unit.  Or they'll tell me that create-unit is finished and I'll switch to that instead.

To help you with your fort, I put a beta version of version 1.34 in the alternate download location.  All you need from this is the raw/scripts/tesb-tribute.lua file; drop it into the scripts subfolder of your default raws and save folder.  After some more testing and documentation, I'll release 1.34 for real.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

Muffinator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh man thats so awesome that you figured that out! This is really good for my fort because I got myself a female dragon now :D I'm gonna build a semi-autonomous flamethrower wheeee~ If you need another save for debugging at any point, I can upload one, I have it set to seasonal autosave with backups, so I have them all.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: [40.xx] The Earth Strikes Back! v1.34 - In this land, aquifer pierce you!
« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2015, 10:48:34 am »

Version 1.34 has been posted.  Behind the scenes, the scripts are more stable so that you can concentrate more on the game.

The major feature change is that Wyrms now have special abilities depending on what type of Living Stone they came from.  The scariest sounding is the aquifer venom that causes the victim's fat tissue to swell up with excessive water.  For those of you who have been playing with aquifers turned off, a friendly reminder that conglomerate and sandstone are the aquifer-bearing layer stones.

Strike the Earth!  Carefully.
Just got back, updating:

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile

Since there are 24 of a lot of things, the scripting might be helpful once the fixed cost of translating is done.

I actually have a port finished (I forgot to bring it with me, so I can't upload it, sigh). I did not use any scripting, at least not directly. Everything that I needed could be done via standard templates, so yes, it is mostly just plain raws. I did make a custom template for the tribute reactions, but that was done using the "normal" template system, not scripts.

About the only place a script would be needed is if an addon was made to install the StoneSense graphics.

Do you mind using Rubble? Because it would be easy for me to make a fully templated (no scripts, just templates) version that could be generated together with a special support addon (which I would provide, with documentation) to make a "vanilla" raw set, ready to zip and distribute. That way you could do all your modding with the templated Rubble copy (which would be around half the size, with no "almost identical" reactions and the like), then run a batch file and get a set of ready to go raws that could be distributed to non-Rubble users.

It would be a lot of work to change over now, but I would do all that :)

If you want some idea of how the raws would look fully templated download First Landing, it was designed to use Rubble to it's fullest, so almost all of it's reactions are templated.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

Since there are 24 of a lot of things, the scripting might be helpful once the fixed cost of translating is done.

I actually have a port finished (I forgot to bring it with me, so I can't upload it, sigh). I did not use any scripting, at least not directly. Everything that I needed could be done via standard templates, so yes, it is mostly just plain raws. I did make a custom template for the tribute reactions, but that was done using the "normal" template system, not scripts.

About the only place a script would be needed is if an addon was made to install the StoneSense graphics.

Do you mind using Rubble? Because it would be easy for me to make a fully templated (no scripts, just templates) version that could be generated together with a special support addon (which I would provide, with documentation) to make a "vanilla" raw set, ready to zip and distribute. That way you could do all your modding with the templated Rubble copy (which would be around half the size, with no "almost identical" reactions and the like), then run a batch file and get a set of ready to go raws that could be distributed to non-Rubble users.

It would be a lot of work to change over now, but I would do all that :)

If you want some idea of how the raws would look fully templated download First Landing, it was designed to use Rubble to it's fullest, so almost all of it's reactions are templated.
I don't have any problem with having the mod in Rubble format... my concern was more that the mod has different kinds of interrelated assets and I wasn't sure if those were the types that interested anyone else enough to be worth including in Rubble :)

I would very much like to include some toggle options for this mod's features, but the base ("everything on") version needs to operate without Rubble.  One of Rubble's advertised features is that it can spit out stand-alone raws, so that probably won't be an issue.  I'm okay with manually generating a JSON file and packaging a ZIP for non-Rubble users.  Let me poke around Rubble's documentation and see how this would work.

In the meantime, for everyone else I'm testing the beta version of create-unit to see if I can push it out in v1.35.  My nagging in its development thread paid off, and the niche feature I need is included :)
Just got back, updating:

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 16, 2015, 07:09:21 am »

So, it turns out that create-unit is not quite as ready for prime time as I'd hoped.  I'll be trying to help the developer work out the kinks and also trying to think up better Secrets appropriate to this world.

In other news, I put a small gallery of The Earth Strikes Back! images in the thread's second post.
Just got back, updating:

Muffinator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2015, 01:58:35 pm »

Hey, I don't really know how to definitively test this or not, but I'm not sure the .init file is working properly, it seems like if i start a new fort/resume an old fort, I can dig all day and find neither hidden gems for fun rocks, but the moment i run tesb-mining -living .002 and tesb-mining -gem .005 like you showed me earlier the gems and fun start getting mined out in reasonable amounts. I started a new fort and dug out 31x31 squares in stone layers multiple times, 3x3 long hallways across the map, nothing until i run the commands.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: [40.xx] The Earth Strikes Back! v1.35 - In homeland, aquifer pierce you!
« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2015, 03:07:58 pm »

Hey, I don't really know how to definitively test this or not, but I'm not sure the .init file is working properly, it seems like if i start a new fort/resume an old fort, I can dig all day and find neither hidden gems for fun rocks, but the moment i run tesb-mining -living .002 and tesb-mining -gem .005 like you showed me earlier the gems and fun start getting mined out in reasonable amounts. I started a new fort and dug out 31x31 squares in stone layers multiple times, 3x3 long hallways across the map, nothing until i run the commands.
Nice catch!  I figured out what the problem is... tesb-tribute and tesb-mining where incompatible with each other, which is kinda embarrassing because they're distributed together.  I'll push out a fix as soon as I can.  create-unit will need to wait.

Edit: And v1.35 is posted, the fix turned out to be less complicated than I expected.  Should be no problem just dropping this on top of your existing install and/or save folder unless you're manually merging mods by hand.  Which would be a dwarfy thing to do.  In that case, just bring in the tesb-mining.lua and tesb-tribute.lua scripts.  The manifest.json changed as well, but I doubt anyone manually merging is using the Start Pack merging tool.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 03:24:27 pm by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:

Muffinator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2015, 11:10:26 pm »

Awesome! the only other thing that's bugging out is the seeds reaction, i keep getting a generic "seeds" i cant plant instead of "amethyst seeds", etc. But seriously, this is the coolest mod. :3

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2015, 10:32:48 am »

OK, I have a Rubble version you can look at, just get it from DFFD.

About half of the raws are fully templated, the others have the minimum required for full functionality. I included a simple addon that allows you to generate ready to go non-Rubble raws, usage documentation is included, see "Readme.md" in the archive.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2015, 10:56:01 am »

Thank you for all of that work, and for pointing out the issues you found in the raws.  The Rubble pack is v1.33 of the mod, and the releases since then have been bugfixes.  There is also one outstanding bug that I have in my sights.  Will be useful practice to weave those updates into the Rubble pack.

My goal is to release Rubble and standard versions in parallel, and I'll call that v1.40.  It leaves me room for any other hotfixes that might be needed while I'm figuring this out.

Out of curiosity, what makes TESB incompatible with First Landing?  I was trying to keep this mod capable of co-existing with other mods.
Just got back, updating:

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2015, 11:18:05 am »

Out of curiosity, what makes TESB incompatible with First Landing?  I was trying to keep this mod capable of co-existing with other mods.

Lots of stuff. For one thing First Landing lacks some of the layer stones (I forget which ones), most of the basic gems are gone (which would result in "hidden x" being available when "x" does not exist), and the permitted creature tag in the syndromes will obviously cause problems (but that's an easy fix).

It would have been possible to make them compatible (using the @IF_ACTIVE template or something similar) but frankly it would be a fearsome amount of work and the result would be fragile and hard to keep up to date.

There are ways to structure addons so that they can be used with radically different bases like that, but it involves lots of templates, basically you make a "library" of all the raws that do not depend on vanilla content in any way wrapped in templates, then make a different addon that uses these templates to create the actual raws used by the game. It's not really hard to do if you start that way from the begining, but would require a major rewrite now. It would be a good task to combine with a major update like moving to a new DF version, but only if you really want total compatibility with everything really badly :)

Muffinator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2015, 11:31:55 am »

I do totally merge them manually, like a scrub Dwarf, but i only bother with three mods now, so its mainly entity_default.txt that needs work. the one time i tried to use the started pack merge tool it deleted my raws folder, I have no idea how it works...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16