Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: [0.42&0.43] The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - It's a mine... it's-a not yours!  (Read 80653 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: [42.xx] The Earth Strikes Back! v2.01 - Dig deep... if you dare
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2016, 09:39:55 am »

I hate to mention this, but I think your creature file has some minor problems (that or wiki doesn't know what its talking about). Generating your addon with recent versions of Rubble reports some consistency check failures, some of which were my fault (I missed a few tags in my rules), but most of which appear to be incorrect tags. It's not very many, but you may want to give it a look.

(just generate with the newest Rubble version and it will spew some warnings)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2016, 01:17:52 pm »

I hate to mention this, but I think your creature file has some minor problems (that or wiki doesn't know what its talking about). Generating your addon with recent versions of Rubble reports some consistency check failures, some of which were my fault (I missed a few tags in my rules), but most of which appear to be incorrect tags. It's not very many, but you may want to give it a look.

(just generate with the newest Rubble version and it will spew some warnings)
Thanks, problems definitely crept in over time, and I was hoping they would all be surfaced by making a Rubble version (a lot of the problems I found revolved around that Spawn of Evil... rock salt).  I'll take a look when I get some time.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 15, 2016, 10:20:33 am »

Whenever I see the name of your mod, I think of Star Wars
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2016, 11:08:52 am »

Whenever I see the name of your mod, I think of Star Wars
The name is a play on Strike The Earth!, and I had been using the abbreviation TESB for a while before I realized that to most people it looks like The Empire Strikes Back, and now I can't unsee it :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2016, 12:29:23 pm »

And here I thought it was an intentional Star Wars reference... It's a cool name no matter how you look at it :P
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 17, 2016, 03:19:42 pm »

By the way Milo, was rubric is used for Rubble's consistency checks?  The lines that appears in the R7.5.1 log all looked valid to me (and there were no warnings in R7.5.0).

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 03:22:08 pm by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 17, 2016, 03:37:29 pm »

The consistency checker uses rules that specify allowable tag parameter counts and how tags relate to each other (for example "CDI" must come after "CAN_DO_INTERACTION", etc). Sometimes these rules also specify that certain arguments must be one of a certain list of values.

If I remember correctly most of the rule failures for TESB were missing parameters, for example PRONE_TO_RAGE needs a numeric parameter specifying how prone to rage something is, and the tissue selection tags need a tissue name to specify which one to select from the results that fit the given criteria.

Just look up any tags reported on the wiki, that will probably tell you what's wrong. Also make sure you use the latest Rubble (7.5.2) as I fixed some tags missing rules, and I think one or two of the missing ones effected TESB (but that certainly doesn't cover all the rule match failures reported).

BTW: If you find a tag that is reported as incorrect and is definitely correct post about it in the Rubble thread and I'll fix the rules for the next version. Currently vanilla DF and my First Landing addon both pass with only one warning (a vanilla bug), so the rules should be largely correct.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 03:39:43 pm by milo christiansen »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 26, 2016, 11:33:04 pm »

I've fixed all of the inconsistencies that Rubble identified, though one of them was a false-positive.  Using a built-in material for blood does not need a subtype.  Oddly, by the time I changed it back, Rubble stopped complaining about those lines.  My guess is that's one of the fixes between 7.5.1 and 7.5.2.

Aside from the raw tweaks, I've added descriptions for the reactions and am in the middle of building a creature for "when an Ember falls into the ocean."  The interactions and Stonesense sprite for that one are turning out to be particularly challenging.

I can backport the new creature into the 0.40 version if anyone is still making new worlds with it, but the descriptions are a 0.42 feature.
Just got back, updating:

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

Version 2.02 has been posted in the OP, both as a standard mod and as a Rubble module.  Note that Rubble doesn't support Stonesense content, so you would need to get that from the standard package.

This update requires a new world, but it finally answers the question of what happens if one of those Embers of Creation falls into water.  The answer is not good for coastal forts, although if you do manage to defeat the creature you get a Hidden Gem that is not available through mining.
Just got back, updating:

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

Hi everyone.  People are downloading the mod, but the comments have tapered off.  The good news is that people aren't running into problems.  The bad news is it doesn't give me a lot of feedback on where to go next.

Are you finding the creatures too easy or too difficult?

In the meantime, the standard pack has been updated to v2.03 with improvements to the Stonesense interface.  Since Rubble packs don't include the Stonesense assets, there was no point in incrementing its version number.

In case you were curious what those gem vines look like...

The gem clusters obviously match the gems, but there are subtle differences in the vines as well.

EDIT: Lo-res farm plot looked really bad at this level of zoom, so I tried to fix it a bit.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 09:24:42 pm by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

ptw
Black lives matter.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

I just added it to the mod and launcher, as discussed. I added options to turn it on/off, turn the domestic pet rock on/off and secrets on/off.

Your building files are very peculiar, usually they start with Tile:1 and go to Tile:3... yours go to Tile:5, but as far as I know 4 and 5 have no effect.

I thought about using TWBT to use a new building graphic for the Tributes:

A round stone-altar with some magic in the center. Phoebus floor as background. Still retains the material color when build. Would that be ok?

PS: Testing also reveals an intersting AI quirk: The created awakened stones are wildlife, hit the miner once, but really just run away to the nearest map-edge to flee. Maybe add CRAZED to them? OPPOSED_TO_LIFE? They way they are, they do not pose any threat.

PPS: Why are pet rocks "VERMIN_GROUNDER" ? As vermin, they dont have a creature graphic, cant be pastured, etc... and most importantly, dont appear in the creatures list, where you look at your pets.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 06:18:16 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

Hi Meph, thanks for including the mod in your GUI.

The five-stage construction just allows the corner pillars to go up one by one; you don't see the central slab/altar thing erected because the dwarf building it is always standing there, but in principle the dwarf could get pulled away at the last moment.

As for the graphics, I've just been too busy to make up TWBT overrides for the Tributes.  They would be a nice touch.  Take a look at the second post in the thread to get an idea what they are supposed to look like (the four corner tiles are impassible).

The AI quirk is irritating.  I can induce an "attack" but haven't figured out how to induce a "fight."  Still working on that.  Fortunately, Awakened Stones tend to appear deep in the fortress and give your militia time to try to fight them.  Wyrms are almost always berserk, so they don't have this problem.

Pet Rocks are classified as vermin because (1) they are small, (2) I don't want them blocking out a wild animal population slot, (3) I don't want them appearing at the edge of map never to budge again, and (4) the wiki claims that owners of pet vermin will carry them around.  I have not observed that last behavior, though.  I haven't had a problem assigning them as pet-adoptable from the Z screen, or getting them pastured from the pasture's N menu (though actually moving a Pet Rock seems to be a low-priority job).  This class of vermin can pop up at random around the map, though the overwhelming majority are a side-effect of mining.

Remember, Pet Rocks are friendly little buggers... any Pet Rock that appears on the map via any means switches to the fort's or adventurer's civ pretty much instantly.  You don't really need to worry about "wild" Pet Rocks distracting your cats from actual damaging vermin.

Just a couple quibbles about MW's TESB: it's the only mod whose name is not Title Case, and it looks like a lot of the files have the [OBJECT:] declaration on the header line.  Not sure if that's going to cause any problems.
Just got back, updating:

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

The AI quirk is irritating.  I can induce an "attack" but haven't figured out how to induce a "fight."  Still working on that.  Fortunately, Awakened Stones tend to appear deep in the fortress and give your militia time to try to fight them.  Wyrms are almost always berserk, so they don't have this problem.
crazed will work, as does opposed-to-life. curious_beast, ambush_predator, nofear, building_destroyer... lots of tags that handle AI.

Both crazed and opposed to life would make the tame versions impossible to control, that tag would have to be removed in that case.

(1) they are small, (2) I don't want them blocking out a wild animal population slot, (3) I don't want them appearing at the edge of map never to budge again, and (4) the wiki claims that owners of pet vermin will carry them around.
1. creatures can be small too. 2. they wont, if they have no biome. 3. they dont, migrants dont bring immobile pets (I know, from my golems), 4. they dont.

Just a couple quibbles about MW's TESB: it's the only mod whose name is not Title Case, and it looks like a lot of the files have the [OBJECT:] declaration on the header line.  Not sure if that's going to cause any problems.
No issues with the lines in the raws files... but where is the thing with the Title Case? In the GUI, raws, forum posts?

PS: Found a rather big flaw with the tribute script: It checks for every building that is build. Even contructions, like floors or walls. For every piece of floor I build, I get a spam-error message in the dfhack window.

And while typing this, I got a crash-to-desktop, 1 second after "x has incurred the wrath of an awakend dacite".  :-\
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

The Awakened Stone (and Incandescent Stone and Awakened Magma) already has [BUILDING_DESTROYER:1].  Ambush predator might be interesting.  The underlying problem is that create-unit puts the creature on the map with no reason to be there.  I'm not sure if they path out due to feeling overmatched by 7+ dwarves, or just because that is a default goal for the AI.  Tweaking their personality doesn't seem to make them stick around, so I think it's the latter.

I've had the scripts crap a bunch of red text into the console, but never a crash to desktop.  You get an achievement badge :)

The spam you're seeing is from tesb-tribute.lua, which has a callback every time a job is completed.  If the job is "completed a building" then it tries to filter out anything that's not a workshop with

local workshop = df.building.find(job.general_refs[0].building_id)
if workshop.construction_stage == 3 and workshop.mat_type ~= -1 and not workshop.design then

This is important because the attributes I'm testing exist only on workshops and not other types of buildings.  What has been spamming for you?

Edit: As for Pet Rocks, I've had to make them non-vermin for arena testing in the past, and I don't recall any Biblical plagues besetting my home.  So that's probably a good change to make.  Too bad it appears that the only way to move them is with pasturing.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 12:30:44 am by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16