Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: [0.42&0.43] The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - It's a mine... it's-a not yours!  (Read 80676 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Yes, only pasturing. But if they are vermin, you can only move them by moving their cage/terrarium.

Not sure if it was your mod or just me being out of RAM. ;)

I've been spammed by constructed floors. Certainly not a workshop.

Doesn't the script affect FPS if its constantly checking every building?

Fleeing of the map is a default AI thing. If they were overmatched, they would flee from your dwarves, but stop fleeing once out of range/sight.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

Yes, only pasturing. But if they are vermin, you can only move them by moving their cage/terrarium.
Actually I can 'N' a Pet Rock into a pasture and eventually a dorf will come by and move it.  Just don't expect it to happen if you're moving trade goods.

Not sure if it was your mod or just me being out of RAM. ;)

I've been spammed by constructed floors. Certainly not a workshop.
I'm not sure I've built a floor recently.  Thanks for the pointer, and I'll let you know when there's a fix.

Doesn't the script affect FPS if its constantly checking every building?
It only checks the building the tick it is completed, though it does have to check every single job to see if it is type 68 (building completed).  There might be some measurable impact during a megaproject, but generally nothing to worry about.

Fleeing of the map is a default AI thing. If they were overmatched, they would flee from your dwarves, but stop fleeing once out of range/sight.
It is sad, but not unexpected.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Ok :)

Could I make one feature request in that case? I'm not sure how your script determines which awakened stones should be hostile and which ones tame, but could you add OPPOSED_TO_LIFE to the hostile ones? That would fix it, it makes sense since stones are inorganics and not organics (they oppose organic life), and there would be proper fights. :)

It would also fit really well into my necromancer civ, which would be ignored by them. "Stone awakens. Stone looks around, sees nothing living/organic to kill; only undead shuffle about, stone ignores them".

Oh, and where was that with the lower-case mod name?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

Ok :)

Could I make one feature request in that case? I'm not sure how your script determines which awakened stones should be hostile and which ones tame, but could you add OPPOSED_TO_LIFE to the hostile ones? That would fix it, it makes sense since stones are inorganics and not organics (they oppose organic life), and there would be proper fights. :)

It would also fit really well into my necromancer civ, which would be ignored by them. "Stone awakens. Stone looks around, sees nothing living/organic to kill; only undead shuffle about, stone ignores them".

Oh, and where was that with the lower-case mod name?
Should be able to apply a syndrome to spawning Awakened Stones, but I want to allow the possibility of trapping and taming the thing.  The syndrome can either wear off in time, or I can try to figure out how to watch for animal training and remove the syndrome on the first successful training session.  Problem is that I don't think OPPOSED_TO_LIFE animals can be trained?

The title-case thing was on the Mods tab of the UI.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

No, they cant be trained. They would attack their handlers, aka the handlers would be terrified.

Wear off in time seems a good idea. That way they give you some trouble, but in case your fort cant handle them, they would leave after a while. Did you ever consider making them disappear? They spawn, fight, after X amount of time, they just turn back into stone (dying and leaving a BOULDER as itemcorpse).

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

No, they cant be trained. They would attack their handlers, aka the handlers would be terrified.

Wear off in time seems a good idea. That way they give you some trouble, but in case your fort cant handle them, they would leave after a while. Did you ever consider making them disappear? They spawn, fight, after X amount of time, they just turn back into stone (dying and leaving a BOULDER as itemcorpse).
Any kind of booby-trapped syndrome or short lifespan will apply to trained Awakened Stones, so having the OPPOSED_TO_LIFE wear off seems like the solution.  Trap the critter and wait out the syndrome, then train it.  As long as cages don't stop the clock on syndromes, all will be well.  If they do, you'll just need to pit them to wait out the syndrome (what could possibly go wrong?).

Six months sound about right to everyone?
Just got back, updating:

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Cages dont stop syndromes, so it will work fine.

I thought about 2 weeks, maybe a month. But its your mod, do as you feel is best. :)

Edit: Report I've gotten:
And every time I hit a living stone, the game crashes within a few frames, so its even worse than I had assumed.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 05:53:15 pm by Meph »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

I have a fix for the red text spamming the console, which is now labeled as an "alpha" at the Dropbox location.  Still cleaning up the new features before I push out the new version for real.

I don't see how the scripts could cause a crash a few ticks after spawning a creature.  Can you get a save?
Just got back, updating:

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

A save wouldnt help much, because your spawning is random. Even if I'd save and 10 seconds later the game crashes because an awakened stone was spawned, you will not have the same spawned awakened stone at the same location.

I had 2 reports about crashes and had 1 crash myself while testing. A few ticks after an awakened stone is spawned.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

A save wouldnt help much, because your spawning is random. Even if I'd save and 10 seconds later the game crashes because an awakened stone was spawned, you will not have the same spawned awakened stone at the same location.

I had 2 reports about crashes and had 1 crash myself while testing. A few ticks after an awakened stone is spawned.
The spawning is random, but this is happening a couple ticks after the spawn.  They don't randomly move around in the past :)

It would, however, require good timing.
Just got back, updating:

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

Version 2.04 is up.

1. This changes Pet Rocks into tiny-but-not-vermin creatures.  This shouldn't actually change anything except that now they have a creature graphic.

2. Hostile Awakened Stones and Wyrms now have OPPOSED_TO_LIFE applied for about three months, which should keep the AI from immediately pathing off the map.  Remember it only takes about one month for a Wyrm to reach full size.

3. I fixed a bug in one of the scripts that was spamming scary-looking-but-harmless errors in the DFHack console.

There are two issues still outstanding.

First, something is wrong with the links inside the Rubble addon documentation.  For now, just refer to the opening post because it has all of the same information anyway.

Second, some players using the Masterwork version have reported crashes while an Awakened Stone is on the map.  This doesn't seem to affect players using the basic mod or the Rubble version, so it is probably some odd interaction with Masterwork's other DFHackery.  I don't think this version's AI tweak will fix that, so I'm still working on it.  A well-timed save before a likely crash would be helpful.
Just got back, updating:

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Thanks for the update. Sadly I have no idea what causes the crashes. I havent had time to play-test either.

Second, some players using the Masterwork version have reported crashes while an Awakened Stone is on the map.  This doesn't seem to affect players using the basic mod or the Rubble version, so it is probably some odd interaction with Masterwork's other DFHackery.  I don't think this version's AI tweak will fix that, so I'm still working on it.  A well-timed save before a likely crash would be helpful.
I just wanted to note that I did not alter any inorganics, nor your onload.init entries, it was all just drag&drop, no changes from my end.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

I just wanted to note that I did not alter any inorganics, nor your onload.init entries, it was all just drag&drop, no changes from my end.
I don't think it was any of that, it's just that the mod uses a lot of callbacks and they might be bumping heads with something else that MW is doing.  There is also one particular bit of virtual duct-tape I used in create-unit.lua that seemed like a weak point, but it survived quite a lot of playtesting until now (rather than figure out how to add a proper wild animal population, I attributed the Awakened Stone to an existing one outside the embark area).  This might fix itself if I simply set the proper invader flags on the spawned unit.

That might also eliminate the need for the OPPOSED_TO_LIFE trick.
Just got back, updating:

chesse20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

this mod comes with masterwork and i had a limestone statue turn into a living stone... but my fortress was succubii and not dwarfen so the lil dude just hung out and destroyed a door or a statue every once in a while but nothing else. what am i supposed to do with him

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

Stone petting zoo
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16